Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:11:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 465
Total: 465

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Not exactly a rant, but . . .  (Read 6425 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Not exactly a rant, but . . .
« on: September 18, 2010, 01:02:02 am »
Well, a little one.

I had blood drawn today to check out my lipids and CPKs. I did the 12-hour fast prior to the draw, drank copious amounts of water to make sure they could get the blood without problem, etc.

OK, rather than go to the hospital, I went to a satellite clinic. It was only for lipids, after all and the clinic should be faster.

Wrongaroonie!

I think every senior citizen in the area was there drinking barium and waiting their turn to get done whatever it is one does when one has been drinking barium.

Anyway, when the woman went to draw blood, she decided to stick me not in the usual places, but on the top of my arm near my elbow.  ???

It stung and the blood flow was miniscule. I could have read "War and Peace" waiting for one tube to fill.

I had planned to get a bite before trudging off to jail - to see a client.

Well, it took so long to get in and get the blood drawn I didn't get to eat. In fact, no food till lunch. You know you really should have eaten when you are walking by the jail kitchen and the odors emerging from it smells good. ::)

To top it off, I got home this evening only to find a message from the clinic saying there was a problem. The blood sample they took had hemolyzed and they needed me to come in "at my earliest convenience" to have it drawn again.

"At my earliest convenience means I have to do another 12-hour fast and then go in and have the blood drawn again.

It also means it has to be tomorrow, because I already have things scheduled early Sunday morning and Monday morning.

So much for leisure time.

This is the same clinic where they screwed up my viral load one time and showed me having a blip, which I didn't.

I thought just a lipid profile would be safe. I guess I was wrong.

Off to the hospital I go tomorrow.

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:13:04 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline weasel

Re: Not exactly a rant, but . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:30:39 am »

Hi mark ,   maybe next time you will get better treatment .

I know sometimes at the V.A.   it takes forever and those are the days mistakes

are made . 

Last week I had my blood done and the nice girl looked at my hands  :o

Then  poked  the  needle thinger in to my vein  :)

Most often they HUNT for a place in my arm , I got big bulging veins in my hands   

wish nurses would just use em  :)

Good luck with your tests !    December I have to fast , Triglycerides are sky high ?

Be well ,   
                                                                Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 05:03:08 am »

It stung and the blood flow was miniscule. I could have read "War and Peace" waiting for one tube to fill.

Mark

Well, That sucks !!  I'm like a garden hose every time they draw blood.  They can't change the vials fast enough !  Better luck today, and good luck with the results.

So far ( knock on wood)  I've had pretty good luck either at the VA hospital , or the VA clinic, each time I go.  Only had one viral load I had to have redone.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 05:28:59 am »
Top of the elbow? Was she Irish? Top of the morn to you both on the re-jab.

LoL.

I'm laughing with you, not at you.

good luck!
Positive since 1985

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 06:40:30 am »
Drawing blood at the top of the elbow doesn't make any sense.  Maybe this time, when the tech is going to stick the needle in, you should snatch it from her and do it yourself.  Sorry you have to go through this, Mark.  Better luck!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 10:39:43 am »
I got big bulging veins all over my arms & legs, and blood flows like a garden hose when they stick me, they always tell me " You have nice veins"   Mark  I guess the 2nd time is the charm, at least going to the Hospital might be a lot better for you, (less mistakes ya know) I hate fasting, and if i don't eat for more than 12 hours, I get real dizzy & sick  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 11:25:22 am »
Fasting twice in a row?  no way, I become a grumpy bear and not much fun to be around.  What I hate just as much as when the doctor says to fast and when you go for the draw he put in the wrong order and you actually didn't have to.   GRRRRRRR!  (that just happened to me)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 11:58:29 am »
I have to take food with my HIV meds every 12 hours.  Can't fast.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 07:18:34 pm »
Well, this time it went much more smoothly.

I fasted again, but this time 14 hours. I think I am getting used to it.

The young woman at the hospital was very careful to find a good vein - in the usual location - once I explained why I was having labs drawn on a Saturday morning.

Actually, she did too well. The stick was painless, the tube filled in nothing flat, but then we couldn't get it to stop.

She finally had to apply a pressure bandage, then wrap it with that blue clingy stuff that sticks to itself but not the hair of your arm (we like it, our arms are somewhat furry and tape is unpleasant for us.)

But, its done for now.

I did have to laugh though. Both of the phlebotomists shied away from my left arm, preferring to stick the right one. I had three spots frozen by the dermatologist this week and that arm looks rather unpleasant at the moment.

But the looks on their faces when they saw it was priceless.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:59:28 pm »
I'm glad you got through it again , it kind of reminded me of the time before I was on statins when I had to fast and go to the lab thing multiple times because there was to much fat in my blood to spin it down . They finally gave up and just went straight to treatment for my lipids .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 08:39:52 pm »
I love the blue clingy stuff.  I have an allergy to paper tape, and also think the blue stuff looks sooo fasionable.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bear60

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 11:52:07 am »
Kurt is a bleeder too, Mark.  Its the blood thinners he takes etc etc.
Good that you are determined and didnt let it slip by.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.