Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:53:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773266
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AIDS-Free Generation Within Reach?  (Read 5930 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:03:48 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline LM

Re: AIDS-Free Generation Within Reach?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 01:25:17 pm »
Same crap from before. They think they can end the epidemic with treatment. Not in a million years.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:37:50 pm »
unless someone can wave a magic wand and get rid of the stigma and religious-bigotry that's causing the South to have numbers as bad as parts of Africa, there's no way this will be happening in a generation in America. That stigma translates to people not getting tested and not staying in treatment or accepting treatment, while our legislators underfund* or defund treatment and prevention measures. I think that there are just too many societal changes that need to happen before we can actually begin to predict an AIDS-free generation for the US.

*Thank you Gov Nikki Haley for your last minute veto of part of the SC ADAP money from the budget. After years of the Legislature trying to defund ADAP totally, advocates had finally gotten them to almost properly fund ADAP this budget - before the Governor took her axe to healthcare monies.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline dpb

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:00:47 pm »
I agree with LM and leatherman.

I also believe the criminalization of HIV greatly perpetuates the stigma in addition to violating our human rights.  The counter effect is that infected individuals are actually less inclined to disclose their status to sexual partners for fear of not only discrimination, but prosecution and arrest.  These HIV laws are oppressive, ineffective, and attempt to disregard the sexual responsibilities of the uninfected.  That can lead to a false sense of security and complacency.  I could go on and on, but these outdated, unjust laws must go. 

"Decriminalization, not more criminalization, is what is needed." -Justice Michael Kirby
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:11:14 pm by dpb »
Date        CD4    %    VL
1/15/11    Diagnosed
3/1/11    525    18    168,518
5/12/11    558    16    331,791
5/16/11    Started Atripla
5/31/11    NA    NA    1,200
6/15/11    721    21    330
7/15/11    649    23    231
8/15/11    569    25    UD
11/17/11  752    26    UD
3/1/12    634    27    UD
7/2/12    594    26    UD
2/13       676    30    UD
9/13       662    31    UD

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:33:18 am »
I thought those headlines were wildly silly, considering the same old content in the articles.
I get that the HIV/AIDS research community, and policy/political types, want to and need to and should transmit messages of hope.  But this is pretty sloppy epidemiological logic represented here.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:03:45 pm »
I was taken by the Reporter link post quoting Dr. Fauci given that he has been out there talking about HIV/AIDS for several decades and appeared to me quite sensible from the outset.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:06:56 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:07:53 pm »
The PBS Frontline special "Endgame: AIDS in Black America" (http://tinyurl.com/6wa7ra5) had some interesting segments in which doctors and leaders spoke about how an end to HIV could be envisioned; however they also voiced their concerns that issues like stigma and poverty would have to be overcome before any sort of endgame/AIDS-free generation would be possible in America.

The segment with Dr. Lisa Fitzpatrick near the end was very enlightening as she walked through the neighborhood talking to citizens about what they knew/thought about HIV, and about the issues she saw that complicated the goal of stopping the spread of HIV.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:32:24 am »
AIDS-free generation ?

Even if they found both a vaccine and the cure tomorrow, it wouldn't happen in our lifetimes.

We can't even eradicate Tuberculosis.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/07/09/deadly-tuberculosis-outbreak-in-florida-covered-up-by-gop-governor-rick-scott/

Ojh, and the bubonic plague made a come back, last year, too .
http://healthland.time.com/2011/05/10/first-case-of-bubonic-plague-in-2011-appears-in-new-mexico/

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:00:45 am »

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/07/09/deadly-tuberculosis-outbreak-in-florida-covered-up-by-gop-governor-rick-scott/

http://healthland.time.com/2011/05/10/first-case-of-bubonic-plague-in-2011-appears-in-new-mexico/

Don't forget polio. We have a very effective vaccine, but infants are not being vaccinated in resource-poor settings and so it continues. If every child born everywhere in the world were given the polio vaccine starting today, it would be eradicated very quickly.

The polio vaccine has been around for decades (since the late 50s/early 60s) so it's bound to be available in generic form by now but it's still not reaching everyone, mainly due to poverty.

And of course there's those parents in resource-rich countries who refuse to vaccinate their children against anything because they think it's a conspiracy or for religious reasons. The last outbreak of polio in the US occurred amongst the Amish in 1979. source

Same thing for hiv meds and any vaccine (when it becomes available) - they are not going to reach everyone due to poverty. Even if we eliminate the stigma surrounding hiv, I can't see poverty ever being eradicated.

Poverty is the main enemy when it comes to eradicating any disease and hiv will be no different.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline misterprice

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 01:18:20 pm »
AIDS-free generation ?

Even if they found both a vaccine and the cure tomorrow, it wouldn't happen in our lifetimes.

The problem of the HIV research is that there are plenty of possible solutions that are not investigated. For example, I never saw specific studies on the protective role of the HTLV-2 infection:

"In contrast, evidence points to a confirmed protective role of HTLV-2 that is manifested as improved survival and delayed progression to AIDS. The protective effect may be the result of maintaining normal-range levels of CD4 and CD8 counts, lowering HIV replication, and immune activation."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17982939

And I could make many other examples.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:59:32 pm by misterprice »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.