Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:33:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 325
Total: 327

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Research Gives Insights on Karposi Sarcoma Risk  (Read 3453 times)

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
New Research Gives Insights on Karposi Sarcoma Risk
« on: July 21, 2017, 11:06:32 am »
From the July 19, 2017, edition of BETA:

Summary:

People who had low recent CD4 counts, high recent viral loads, or who had higher average viral loads over time had the highest risk of developing Kaposi sarcoma, according to a study published this month in JAIDS. By analyzing medical data from thousands of people living with HIV across many years, a team of researchers were able to develop a mathematical model of factors independently associated with Kaposi sarcoma (KS, an opportunistic cancer characteristic of AIDS).

Link to full article:

http://betablog.org/whos-risk-getting-kaposi-sarcoma/

More study is needed, according to the article.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: New Research Gives Insights on Karposi Sarcoma Risk
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 12:53:04 pm »
Thanks.

Very interesting, and at the same time shocking, it should not be but somehow it is.
The cumulative viral load finding, is interesting idea and measurement, wonder if we will perhaps see that in the study of other cancer outcomes.

Jim

They found that a person’s most recent CD4 count, their most recent viral load count, and a cumulative measure of viral load over time were independent risk factors for developing KS. Previous research has identified associations between CD4 count, viral load and KS risk, but this is one of the only studies to make conclusions about risk based on a comprehensive examination of both recent and cumulative measures and a relatively large sample size.

The researchers included data from 77,696 people from the U.S. and Canada in the North American AIDS Cohort Collaboration on Research and Design, who were followed between 1996 and 2009. The majority of people in the study were male (85%).

People with recent CD4 counts less than 50 cells/uL were 12 times more likely to develop KS than people with CD4 counts equal to or over 500. People with recent viral loads over 100,000 copies/mL were about four times more likely to develop KS than people with viral loads less than or equal to 500 copies/mL. People with an average viral load over 100,000 copies/mL were two and a half times more likely to develop KS than people with an average viral load less than 500 copies/mL.

“The most interesting—and most novel—finding from the study was the cumulative viral load finding,” said lead author Robert Dubrow, MD, PhD. “This isn’t something that’s been found before. For people living with HIV—and in terms of patient care—it speaks to the importance of people starting HIV treatment right away.

This minimizes the amount of time they spend with an elevated viral load and therefore, our results indicate, should decrease their risk of KS.”
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 01:26:15 pm »
I had assumed that this was already established, I thought this was an aids thing.. what am I not understanding?

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 01:37:49 pm »
My nadir was 50 with a VL 50000 - i had 2 KS lesions,one on my neck and one on the back of my calf.Couldn`t find where the one on my neck was and the one on the back of my calf is almost nothing now..that`s 12 months from DX.
Still strange to conceive of myself as that man on paper.

i had read somewhere that KS was strongly indicated by popper use ?
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:41:16 pm »
Here's the novel "take away:"

“The most interesting—and most novel—finding from the study was the cumulative viral load finding,” said lead author Robert Dubrow, MD, PhD. “This isn’t something that’s been found before. For people living with HIV—and in terms of patient care—it speaks to the importance of people starting HIV treatment right away. This minimizes the amount of time they spend with an elevated viral load and therefore, our results indicate, should decrease their risk of KS.”

To me, this means that even if someone achieves viral suppression and decent CD4 recovery, the length of time with high viral loads/low CD4's before achieving viral suppression/CD4 recovery increases the (statistical) likelihood of developing karposi sarcoma even after viral suppression/CD4 recovery.

In other words, the study once again confirms that is best to start an antiretroviral  regimen immediately upon diagnosis, regardless of viral load or CD4 numbers.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:17:10 pm »
Here's the novel "take away:"

“The most interesting—and most novel—finding from the study was the cumulative viral load finding,” said lead author Robert Dubrow, MD, PhD. “This isn’t something that’s been found before. For people living with HIV—and in terms of patient care—it speaks to the importance of people starting HIV treatment right away. This minimizes the amount of time they spend with an elevated viral load and therefore, our results indicate, should decrease their risk of KS.”

To me, this means that even if someone achieves viral suppression and decent CD4 recovery, the length of time with high viral loads/low CD4's before achieving viral suppression/CD4 recovery increases the (statistical) likelihood of developing karposi sarcoma even after viral suppression/CD4 recovery.

In other words, the study once again confirms that is best to start an antiretroviral  regimen immediately upon diagnosis, regardless of viral load or CD4 numbers.

Thanks for clearing  it up for me..
My ks disappeared with meds very quickly so I assumed it was the same for most people once on treatment.. I also heard of people higher cd4s getting it too but never heard of people getting it after treatment had suppressed the vl.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 02:28:48 pm »
I have not heard of that either (developing KS after viral suppression/CD4 recovery).   

Here's a link to the study's abstract:

http://journals.lww.com/jaids/Citation/2017/08010/Association_of_CD4__T_cell_Count,_HIV_1_RNA_Viral.2.aspx

From the abstract:

Conclusions: Our results suggested a multifactorial etiology for KS, with early and late phases of development. The cumulative VL effect suggested that controlling HIV replication promptly after HIV diagnosis is important for KS prevention. We observed no evidence for direct anti-KS activity of ART, independent of CD4 count and VL.

I presume this means that the study found no evidence that ART, in itself, reduces the risk of KS in some people with HIV.  Of course, since there is a "multifactorial etiology" for KS development, more study may be needed to firmly make that conclusion.

But it is clear that the study supports the initiation of antiretroviral therapy immediately upon diagnosis.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline harleymc

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 07:55:26 pm »
Paintedroom, that myth about popper use was a hypothesis that existed before HIV, and later the virus KSHV that interacts with HIV to cause KS, were discovered.

Kaposi sarcoma (KS) is caused by infection with a virus called the Kaposi sarcoma associated herpesvirus (KSHV), also known as human herpesvirus 8 (HHV8). KSHV is in the same family as Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), the virus that causes infectious mononucleosis (mono) and is linked to several types of cancer.
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/kaposi-sarcoma/causes-risks-prevention/what-causes.html

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 02:33:39 am »
Thanks for clearing that up harley.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.