Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:13:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773226
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 243
Total: 245

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Damn Liberals  (Read 4438 times)

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
Damn Liberals
« on: October 18, 2007, 12:45:51 am »
A Day in the life of Joe Neocon

Joe gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards. With his first swallow of water, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to ensure their safety and that they work as advertised.

All but $10 of his medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Joe gets it too.

He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained.

Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for the laws to stop industries from polluting our air.

He walks on the government-provided sidewalk to subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union.

If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

It is noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some godless liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression.

Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan because some elitist liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime. Joe also forgets that his in addition to his federally subsidized student loans, he attended a state funded university.

Joe is home from work. He plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards to go along with the tax-payer funded roads.

He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers' Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans.

The house didn't have electricity until some big-government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification.

He is happy to see his father, who is now retired. His father lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that the beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day. Joe agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Re: Damn Liberals
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 01:14:04 am »
BRAVO!!

I AM PROUD TO BE A LIBERAL!!!!

Woods

edited: because some liberal fought prohibition enabling me to be very drunk right now.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:41:07 am by woodshere »
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:32:25 pm »
I like this one sdcabincrew,

Just call me a dirty commie, tree hugging,  wine-drinking, cheese-eating  LIBERAL oh don't forget to add Ann Culter's favorite name calling FAG...

yes...and proud of it   ;D

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 02:53:05 pm »
The other day I participated in a picket as my union and company are currently in contract negotiations.  And, as always the company is being rather difficult.  Although our executive team is the most HIGHLY compensated group in our industry their grunts (me) are the lowest paid in the country.  We are fighting and it is reported in the local papers.  The comments other readers had towards us were simply amazing ... remember the next time you see a little picket what unions and liberals have provided for us as a whole.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:13:19 pm »
have never belonged to a union. Have crossed picket lines as a steel worker in college. Very exciting but the worthless shits broke my windshield.
Was assaulted by workers at another factory I worked at because I would not join their union,while in college. Both of those companies are out of business today and the idiot former workers are sitting at home doing nothing.
Pretty funny.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 06:20:23 pm »
while not professing to be either Liberal or Conservative ....very blurry distinction these days.... I have been both blessed and cursed by the "power" of Unions.......My Dad  was a union steward and a staunch believer...he led his union and fought his employer  ( a city government) over just about every issue that you can think of....eventually the pay was OK , the time off was reasonable and the on job conditions were OK...we had insurance and lived reasonably well..... On the other hand  I have had union strikes happen to me  during business dealings with many small and large companies....the strikers seldom came out ahead..usually they lost more than they gained.. a lot of other people were at least very inconvenienced and in a few cases substantially hurt financially and the overall projects were late and cost more than programmed....   two of the companies never recovered..all the employees lost their jobs...so I didn't see any redeeming value in those cases

So I think Unions have had a good place in certain circumstances..but I have personally seen them dramatically overplay their hand and cause distress and financial hardship for a lot of peripheral people.........sort of like the "collateral damage" caused by explosions......It is possible, maybe likely, that other  non union / non participating persons will be seriously hurt

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline 404error

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 09:30:31 pm »
He plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards to go along with the tax-payer funded roads.

And his car was a Volvo.  The reason that this car was so safe and so well built is that American ingenuity had nothing to do with it. He could only afford it was because he sold out to the man years ago and has enjoyed all the benefits of being an investment banker.  :P
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:46:07 pm by UpAllNight »
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 10:30:16 pm »
I was a Union VP at a hospital in RI back in the 80's and early 90's.  The year I was on the negotiating team, we went on strike.  NOT for money, NOT for benefits, but out of concern for patient care.  You see, the hospital staffed the 2nd and 3rd shifts so minimally, that if someone called in sick, someone else was FORCED to work another shift.  In fact, in the lab (where I worked), they could call you at home and force you to come back and work the night shift.  What this meant was, you worked 1st shift, went home, lived your life, then, instead of going to bed, you had to go work the 3rd shift!!  It was crazy.  We were trying to get the hospital to either, a) staff these shifts better, so that 1 absence in an area could be handled or b) have an official "call list", where someone was on call, getting some compensation for waiting around to be ordered in.

We won in most in areas -- nursing staffed up their off shifts -- the ancillary areas were left to their old ways.  I just got an answering machine (no caller ID then) and never picked up.

So -- I see unions as a necessary evil.  Do they drive some companies out business -- probably so -- but I think it was the Union movement that actually got some companies to think of their employees as key components of their success.

So -- SDCabin -- I hope your negotiations go well!

Mike

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 11:03:57 pm »
Matty the Damned is a devout (some would say militant) trade unionist and comes from a long long line of such activists.

Trade unions are not a necessary evil but a positive and constructive force for good. As SD's OP notes most of the things whining conservatives take for granted were won for them through the self sacrifice of unionists.

As for this:

have never belonged to a union. Have crossed picket lines as a steel worker in college. Very exciting but the worthless shits broke my windshield.
Was assaulted by workers at another factory I worked at because I would not join their union,while in college. Both of those companies are out of business today and the idiot former workers are sitting at home doing nothing.
Pretty funny.

You might think this makes you some free wheeling individualist Jakey, but in reality people who do this are nothing more than filthy scabs and parasites. You feed off the efforts of others and contribute nothing yourself.

Those companies didn't go broke because of unions and their members, but because of people like you.

Just sayin'.

MtD

/edited for an anger induced typo/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 11:08:09 pm by matty.the.damned »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 11:07:21 pm »
I was a Union VP at a hospital in RI back in the 80's and early 90's.  The year I was on the negotiating team, we went on strike.  NOT for money, NOT for benefits, but out of concern for patient care.  You see, the hospital staffed the 2nd and 3rd shifts so minimally, that if someone called in sick, someone else was FORCED to work another shift.  In fact, in the lab (where I worked), they could call you at home and force you to come back and work the night shift.  What this meant was, you worked 1st shift, went home, lived your life, then, instead of going to bed, you had to go work the 3rd shift!!  It was crazy.  We were trying to get the hospital to either, a) staff these shifts better, so that 1 absence in an area could be handled or b) have an official "call list", where someone was on call, getting some compensation for waiting around to be ordered in.

Thank you for fighting for better patient care.  We still have some of the same issues today, in Texas anyway, but not because the hospitals staff short or don't offer on-call pay; in fact we offer double-pay and super-bonuses, but the fact remains that there is a severe Nursing shortage!  Perhaps if the Neocons would quit blocking healthcare reform, Healthcare would be a more inviting and pleasant career choice for our young people. Perhaps.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 06:06:11 am »
matty,its called individual freedom. I was proud to be a scab while the worthless picketed. I am not saying Unions havent done some good but they have become a roadblock to prosperity,productivity,freedom,and excellence in the last 40 years in US.
Unions have their place but too often cross the line into excess. Notice the US auto industry which has been an equally destroyed by unions and bad management. Unions have had much to do with the decline of US educational system and on and on.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 06:13:17 am »
No Jake, it's called treachery.

MtD

Offline komnaes

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 06:23:25 am »
.. Notice the US auto industry which has been an equally destroyed by unions and bad management...

I thought it was destroyed by the Japanese.. ;) Need to catch up on some reading..
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline mudman8

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 01:38:18 pm »
I have a very sharp friend who is on disability like us, His father called and complained that he had retirement problems and med problems. John stopped him and said, "You voted Republican your whole life, yet here you are complaining your retirement check and meds aren't enough.  Yet all those things were voted in by Liberal Democratic administrations, so I don't want to hear you complain"  His father apologized.......
Life is analog

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 06:52:59 am »
Leave It To Dennis

http://35percenters.com/

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 10:13:23 am »
I think of myself as a conservative liberal........
Is that an oxymoron ::)
Liberals are more fun in the sack....that much I know :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 11:38:53 am »
. I am not saying Unions haven't done some good but they have become a roadblock to prosperity,productivity,freedom,and excellence in the last 40 years in US.
......... Unions have had much to do with the decline of US educational system and on and on.
[/quote]

Mr. Jack

You have obviously not been in the education field for the past two decades and the changes in the populations that those of us have served. It has more to do with ever-changing government policies (such as No Child's Behind is Left), fluctuating budgets and a tremendous lack of parent involvement (at school and at home). The student population has changed so dramatically over the past ten years with many , many  English Language Learners, low income and homeless children (with limited parent support and learning experience), and a huge push for integration of children with special needs into our classrooms. Now this is terrific because just a few decades before ,many of these children and families dropped out or the kids with special needs were institutionalized.  Now they have a chance to learn. However, the emphasis of  Every Behind Child is Left and other governing bodies in education is that Every Child Will Read at Their Grade Level and if they don't you will be held accountable. 
          Have Unions helped me ? yes I have had great benefits. They got us the .04% pay raise over the next 2 years. They even have stood in and helped me when I was being discriminated by an administrator for being HIV+
Do I agree with all of their policies? No. I don't always agree with the candidates they choose to support but at least I am allowed to express that to them.

OK I am done now
blwhaaaaa

(please excuse all grammatical and syntactic errors, this was written in a fit of passion)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.