Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:16:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 334
Total: 335

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What If I skip one med for 10 days due to its availability?  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Gorch19

What If I skip one med for 10 days due to its availability?
« on: October 22, 2016, 05:33:43 pm »
Hi. I just started treatment 30 days ago. My social security at my country covers HIV treatment but some times there are meds shortage. I learnt it by the wrong way. My treatment includes Truvada+Efavirenz, by the time of re-supply I just got Truvada and who knows when I'm going to be able to get Efavirenz. I just started to get a back up supplier, but in the meantime, I don't know what to do. Its hard to get last minute specialized consoulting at my country and I travel a lot.  So, i have two optios:
1.  Should I just take truvada
2. Should I just suspend both meds til I get Ef+Tr (10 day maximum)
3. Is there any other option?

CD > 250, copies < 10,000

I appreciate your thought and advises.

G.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: What If I skip one med for 10 days due to its availability?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 05:58:01 pm »
I would advise option 3, since I would not advise the other two without speaking with a physician.  I certainly don't think it's a good idea to stop taking meds for 10 days, nor do I think it's advisable to take a partial component of a "cocktail" retroviral medication.

I would ask your doctor if there was an HIV/AIDS support system locally that could provide you with the necessary medications to keep you compliant with your regimen, or maybe contact and tell the supplier of your situation (perhaps, the supplier could send you a rush supply, especially if it was the supplier's mistake in getting you the efavirenz).
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 05:52:12 am »
suspending one pill while initiating treatment is calling for trouble.

The pill that you are lacking is: Efavirenz 600 mg (that you take with Truvada)

you should be aware that the use, as first line, of efavirenz 400 mg (with truvada for exemple) as been approved by the WHO.

There is no loss of efficacy.

If you have enough stock (or can borrow some stock some where) you can discuss with your doctor about how to spread your Efavirenz and still be within the WHO recommended framework.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 05:57:09 am by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 08:15:06 am »
Is there ANOTHER 3 component treatment that IS available to you now, immediately, as a stop gap measure.
Which 3 molecule treatment, if any, is always garanteed to be available to you?
What do other HIV+ people in your country do in this exact situation?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Gorch19

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 02:31:17 pm »
Thank you for your quick response guys
Im new in this stuff. Specialized doctors are hard to get at las minute (I mean, after I was diagnozed, I coud get my apoointment 6 months after and start treatment 9 months after), unless you have the money though. I still recilent who to tell about, And it has been a hell battling by my self. Anyway (I hate sound like Whinin).

The issue is that I dont know many answers to your questions.
For example, what do you mean with 3 molecule treatment? 

I never thought that it would be this hard to get meds, not in any farmacy ar on sale (Now I know). These information you just gave me worth gold to me. I will keep you informed what could I do to fix this mess i got into.

Hughs from Mexico

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 04:27:48 pm »
Since you had a initial viral load that was in the low end (<10.000) you may want to consider this a favorable situation for suppressing the viral replication even if using only a dual-therapy (Truvada contains TDF+FTC)

There is only limited knowledge, but there is some... So you are not in unchartered territory. This has been done, tried and published before.

Rapid plasma viral suppression in naive HIV-infected patients with high CD4 cells and low viraemia initiating a dual nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor

http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/10/11/jac.dku265.full

20 patients with a virologic profile similar to yours, new to treatment, have been treated with Truvada only. this small trial was named BiNuke. The CD4 requirement was CD4>300, so you are not far from that

The treatment outcome was very good. There might be other similar trials out there, I wouldn't know...

In your very specific case (low VL <10.000), using Truvada only might be doable, without putting you into harms way.

You should discuss this with your doctor before considering this option.
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Gorch19

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 09:04:07 pm »
Thank you so much for your thoughts
Today I was calling every farmacy and institution in my city in order to get some advise, counseling, directions or whatsover. I was finally able to get 15 pills free from an NGO. I will split it to make it last in 400 mg dose. This will give me plenty of time to get my stuff together.
Thanks again for your good vibe
G.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:17:10 pm »
Sounds like a good start, but do check with a doctor or pharmacist to make sure that the "splitting" will work out fine in terms of efficacy.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 02:49:05 am »
Hi

Its good that you got the support from the NGO and managed to get 15 pills.

But do check with a doctor on "tinkering" with your medications, there are lot of theories and maybe's and tests and even some trials with regards controlled playing with dosing, however none of that means you should be considering DIY'ing your HIV medication.

The only correct and sound advice here is talk to your doctor before you do anything. Tinkering with HIV meds based on something someone once and was  okayish for them in controlled situation does not make it a good idea to try it at home, its is a bad idea that may end in tears and your the only one who has to live with the consequences!

Check with your doctor.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 07:22:14 am »

I still recilent who to tell about, And it has been a hell battling by my self. Anyway (I hate sound like Whinin).

For example, what do you mean with 3 molecule treatment? 

Hi. I see you got a solution worked out.  I will respond to the two points above. 

1 - yes I was asking you what HIV+ people in your location do in the situation you are in.  I guess I am reading that you aren't talking to anyone about this.  Well, I suggest you look around on the internet and see if there are any HIV+ groups online. Because its people adapting to the local situation who are going to know all the options for dealing with such things.  You don't have to tell your friends or family if you want to talk to other HIV+ people in Mexico.

2 -     a 3-molecule combination means a treatment with 3 drugs. This has been the standard kind of HIV treatment for years.  Its not the number of pills, its the combination of 3 drugs.  Sometimes it used to be referred to as "tri-therapy" - 3 -  Your truvada is 2 drugs and the efavirenz is the 3rd. There are many kinds of 3 - drug combinations available.

I was surprised that a country (like Mexico!?) would have truvada but run out of efavirenz.  That is why I thought i might be a good idea to figure out if any 3-drug combination is pretty much always available in Mexico.  Doctors or HIV+ people might be able to tell you that.

Another thing to eventually keep in mind - when it seems like supply of HIV drug is pretty good - try to build up a stock of 1 month - so you can have it if the state supply disappears for a moment.  To tide you over.

Above - eric was showing you research on 2-drug treatment. Its research and highly controlled. Since it seems like you see doctors rarely and briefly, this seems like a terrible idea for you to even consider.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:24:44 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 05:59:15 am »
good to ear that you could find usefull ressources.

Should you want to educate yourself and be ready for discussing the practical aspects of the World Health Organization latest recommandation (Nov. 2015) with your doctor, I would recommend this:

Better Late Than Never: Efavirenz Dose Optimization
http://www.treatmentactiongroup.org/tagline/2014/spring/better-late-never-efavirenz-dose-optimization

This is by tim Horn, a long time value added contributor to this forum.

The document is a bit old and the reduced dose has indeed been approved by WHO since.

Should you need more, just ask

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:05:09 am by eric48 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 06:04:52 am »
Gorch19, have you manged to speak to a doctor about the break/reduction in treatment? Its been a few days since we last heard from you.

The only one to give you correct advice on this would be your doctor.
Don't go trying to do this by yourself certainly not by what you read online.

Hope your doing okay.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Gorch19

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 12:53:19 am »
Hi guys
Im working with all your advises (and writing it), so I can discuss it with my doctor. Next appointment is just before xmas. My first follow-up analysis are goin to be perform around that date, so up to this moment I dont even know if meds are workin as suposed to do or if im getting a kidney/liver poisonig. Appoitments are hard to get and not so flexible. Am learning to build patience.

Off-topic
I was getting bug-bite kind itchy spot which started in my tights and they have spread to all my body. Since Im getting hiv meds, this condition has improved. I've got prescription for allergies and fungus but it hasnt stopped yet. Ive read that skin problems are quite common. Have u struggle with tis particular issue?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 05:06:56 am »
Skin problem are common enough for everybody, even the HIV negative population.
Keep working with your doctor.

Jim 
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 07:56:07 am »
removed by me... i posted in the wrong thread...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:11:37 am by eric48 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.