Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:21:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 477
Total: 478

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Where's the beef?????  (Read 9881 times)

Offline ryeguy

Where's the beef?????
« on: June 18, 2006, 12:18:52 pm »
Where's the beef,

This is the question that I ask myself everytime I look at my legs.... they just seem to have melted away after 5 years on trizivir, ok to be honest I can not be sure that triziqueer is alone responsible for this, maybe hiv also has something to do with it.

In the past I have used steroids, of course prescribed from my Doc. This seemed to help pretty much overall, with one draw back, for every kilo of weight in muscle I seemed to gain from the waste up,i gained prox. only one third of that from the waste down. Ok it doesn't take en Einstein to figure out that I looked kind of strange after awhile.

I have been of the steroid decadurabolin now for about 6 months and am considering a new HAART. At the moment I am still on Trizi but am thinking about a change. If anyone has had a good exp. to a more fat friendly Haart please let me know. After a change I may take decadurabolin again as it did help with overall mass.

I am very active, have a busy job, boyfriend 7 years younger whom I love very much, and work out about 3-5 times a week at the gym. I wish I knew where the hell my legs ran off to without me.

If you have any info for me please write me.

Grüsse aus Berlin,
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:56:53 pm by JimDublin »

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
Re: Where's the beef?????
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 10:25:48 am »
Hi Rion,

I wonder, but I am almost certain, that you can find the so called "vibration plates" in Germany.

They come under brandnames like " Powerplate, Body Coach, Fitvibe etc.

I work out on  one of them ( I happen to own a firness wellness center )and my results are not bad.

My legs and specially my butt has been restored.
I do have quite some veins visible, but that is normal when fat resides and you have been a sportsperson before

Wish you luck.

hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline allanq

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 05:06:29 pm »
AZT (one of the three drugs in Trizivir) can cause lipoatrophy (loss of fat in the arms, legs, face, butt). If I were you I would ask my doctor about getting off the AZT in Trizivir and perhaps substituting Sustiva or another NNRTI. Of course, Sustiva has its own set of possible side effects, so that's something to consider as well.

Allan

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 10:12:38 am »
Thankyou much! As to the first comment, If  would respond as I truly wish to I am sure somebody would run to a moderator and report me so let me count to 10 and consider how I can do this like a grown-up.

Dude!!!!  I work out 4 to 5 times a G.. Dam..... week, the rest of my body responds to the training but not my legs. This has nothing with laziness to do, rather with the AZT in my medication. I found out about this later after I posted this thread.

Even if you own a fitness studio, I am probably more aware of all the brand names than you are, so get off your dam..... fitness pulpit about working out.... I do!!!! Often   Too often!!! OK finished with you.

Next, I did some research of my own and my doc and I agreed the best bet is a therapy change for me. Starting the first of Aug. I will drop the AZT in Trizivir and get a new component that should be easier on the fat and muscle. At the moment I am on a short drug holiday:-)

Grüsse aus Berlin,

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:55:38 pm by JimDublin »

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 10:54:44 am »
So much for trying to help I see.

Don't thank me.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 09:20:38 am »
Dude!!!!  I work out 4 to 5 times a G.. Dam..... week, the rest of my body responds to the training but not my legs. This has nothing with laziness to do, rather with the AZT in my medication. I found out about this later after I posted this thread.

Even if you own a fitness studio, I am probably more aware of all the brand names than you are, so get off your dam..... fitness pulpit about working out.... I do!!!! Often   Too often!!! OK finished with you.

[/quote]

Teutonic Twat, you r wise to do your own research instead of kicking someone in the shins :(

Offline joemutt

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 09:22:46 am »
rude teutonic twat, indeed  :( :( :(

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 05:42:07 pm »
Thank you Joe.

Brains and  muscles don't mix well... :D :D :D :D :D

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 09:56:35 am »
Well I have never been called a twat before :-) I do much research and I find both do mix quite well.

I just don't think either the two of you understand how stupid the advice is telling someone with serious lipodystrophy of the legs to work out more! Consider telling someone with facial lipodystrophy to do more facial gymnastics or buy a better cream you think that might help?

If brains and muscle don't mix well then either of you might just be up for the next election for the Governor's seat in California.

Twat..... such vocabulary! I shun you!!!!

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 04:49:15 pm »
Ryeguy,
 I am going to jump in here gently...I have many of the issue you have especially the skinny legs.....I was always on the thin side  ( cross country runner etc )  so my real overall problem is the Lypo and retaining muscle mass.

I am currently at <5% body fat...not a healthy number....it leads to easy bruises and scratches /cuts from very minor bumps.   I notice that your Dr gave you a steroid I am not familiar with....My Dr..prescribed  Serostim
(  HGH )  It has certainly restored what small muscle mass I had in the first place....still pretty skinny , ( no fat just muscle )   I am 6 ft  150 lbs......I am in the advanced stages of Sculptra treatment to restore facial Lypo...
treatment 5 coming up .. I am not aware of any other body parts that are being treated this way...Few people have had "fillers in the Butt"  (see GSO Gymrat) .There are some serious studies being conducted in California to trace the mechanism for Lypo  with and without Meds.....obviously not ready for publication  still recruiting subjects.
I know  Sculptra and HGH  ( Serostim ) is not a permanent fix but it is a good interim treatment until something more "cure" oriented comes along.
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 11:26:04 pm »
Do you combine the Deca with testosterone shots? The two together might work synergistically. This might be a completely naive/stupid suggestion: if you have an overly muscular upper body, have you considered taking an upper-body exercise holiday (just like your drug holiday) and just do legs for a while? That way, perhaps, the gains will be more than one-third lower body.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 09:30:26 am »
Hi hi,

Pozniceguy,

Sorry that you also have to deal with lipodystrophy.... it really sucks. 5% body fat is extremely little wow! Mine is much higher but not well proportioned:-(  It sounds like your doc has some good ideas. AS far as Serostim I am unaware of it and how well it may or may not work, I'll do some research, go ogle and see what I find. Thankyou much for the info. I wish you well and keep your head up sugar:-)

lyngate,

You are right in a lot of ways here. A big problem when you have a bit of upper body muscle and none in the legs is of course balance:-// sounds funny but this is soooo true. When I ride the subway here in Berlin I always try to find a place to site so I don't fall on my face. Sounds funny but it is not. My upper body is strong and heavy as my lower body weak and light.  I have taken a short drug holiday but I will start with a new therapy on the 1st of August as I explained.

To not work out muscle that one already has one must be careful because if not used muscle tends to turn into fat...., and well my chest is pretty big. If my chest would turn into fat I would look like a dude with tits:-)) and well nothing against transsexuals but I like looking manly;-) he he
On my next program with the testosterone and deccadurabolin I will defiantly have my training gaged to my  lowerbody and try just to maintain and maybe slimdown the upperbody a bit. Not easy but hey nothing is.

Take care,

Grüsse aus Berlin,
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:06:08 pm by JimDublin »

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 09:08:48 pm »
Reyguy,
I hope all works out well with your med changes and I hope that will get the results you are looking for in your legs. 
Hang in there!
AppleBoy  :)
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 11:38:32 pm »
Ryeguy: One thing I am sure of and that is muscle NEVER turns into fat.  ??? :o Athletes who get lazy and stop exercising and adopt bad nutrition and habits (like beer drinking), often get fat, so they may appear to be transforming muscle into fat. It just doesn't can't happen though. I watch my muscles grow or shrink all the time (I have lifted weights since '74). All this euphemistic talk about "weight" instead of fat further confuses folks (I am not speaking of your Posts).

The meds are clearly a problem, and most likely the problem here. If resistance training fails to grow muscle in just part of your body, it seems unlikely, if not impossible, that a different form of muscle stimulation would be any more successful.  8)

:oMay I suggest that you offer our Berlinerfreund ("heartforyou" doesn't sound overly Teutonic and evil, does it?) an apology. As long as people mean well. we should resist telling them off. Our issues on the Forum not only seem important, but for the most part they are, since most of have a chronic life-threatening disorder. All the more reason to try "nice" whenever humanly possible. Just my take...not on the issues themselves, just a style of discussion.

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 03:47:48 am »
dollface we already kissed and made up a long time ago... this thread is very old:-)

An update. I have had a lot of progress with deccadurabolin. I have gained 1 cm of ci. in the calf, 2cm of ci. in the thigh, and 3 cm in the butocks in just 3 weeks. Weight gain of 3,5 kilo. Or about 7lbs.

Offline panda

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 10:45:27 am »
Hi Ryeguy.
Can u please fill me in with this  deccadurabolin ?? What is this product ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline bobino

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 11:01:02 pm »
Hi Panda,

You can get some very general information about this steroid here:  http://www.muscleenhancers.com/steroids/roids73.htm

I'm not sure about its availability, because I had heard at one point that it was no longer being manufactured.  It was produced by a company called Organon, or something like that, and I heard that they had ceased production.  My information could be incorrect or out of date, though.  Perhaps someone here in the forum knows more.  

Hope this helps.

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.