Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:23:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 551
Total: 553

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: L.A. Times: With HIV, growing older faster  (Read 5678 times)

Offline edfu

"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: L.A. Times: With HIV, growing older faster
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:39:35 pm »
Edfu,

The link is asking me to sign in, can you make another link to the story?....

Or was this the story :

http://www.politicalposts.com/news/frameset.asp?vars=jumpto.asp?id=341645

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline edfu

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:45:12 pm »
Ray:

Your link is better, I guess.  That's the story.  I must have forgotten that I signed in to L.A. Times a while ago.  Sorry.
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:45:44 pm »

I created an account.... The link I provided only allowed on page to be read. After an account is created , one can read the entire article.

Thanks for the article----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline achim-martin

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 04:42:14 pm »
Now that article is no big surprise, is it?!

Offline ubotts

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 11:04:31 am »
I was just telling my lover that I am aging quicker than normal..
My skin has gotten thinner and wrinkly like an old women..Hell i am 53, and I dont want to look older thats for sure.

In the last year, so much of my body has changed...I look in the mirror and I dont know
whos looking back at me... :(

By the time they find a cure for these side effects it will be too late for me, because Iam more than half way there already..

This part sucks bigtime..Yes I am still alive, but damn, where did I go when I look in the
mirror.....Thats a whole different me..

Its scarey......My face has changed, i have gowls where i never had them before, fat
on the side of my cheeks..I guess it different then you guys..

It seems women or just me maybe, gained fat in my face...I have wrinkles on top of my lips like an old freggin women....

Yes..all the joys of surviving hiv is grand....Bullshit..........I want my face and body back
and all we will all do is age and age quicker than the average bear.. :'(
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 06:50:28 am »
I'm not worried. I was born old. And the benefits of being an oldster far outweigh the awkward agonies of youth. I look forward to getting seniors discounts everywhere I go.

Old age? Bring it on!  ;D

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline mjmel

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 05:23:28 am »
This thought crosses my mind often in the last 3 years. So, it's not news to learn that some article has offically declared it.
I am 58 but my body tells me I'm 65. In my face I look my age since I had some intervention there (BioAlcamid/PMMA).
But without the intervention.....well, I'd look rather worn down, I believe.
While i never agreed with the outlook of raptuous joys of continued living with HIV (as though it is a walk in the park) I will say I'm happy to be alive. I will think this today and how ever many tomorrows I have yet to go on this earth.
I deal with the crappy sidecar called "HIV Related Woes" because the goodness of living far outweighs the griefs of living.

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.