Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:13:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 285
Total: 286

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Not quite the typical risk of kissing question.  (Read 3686 times)

Offline onemarct

• Standard
Not quite the typical risk of kissing question.
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:30 pm »
Hi-

when I had my first HIV possibly infected panic, you guys helped me so much. After my initial fear, I've educated myself with every resource I could get hold of and for the last nine years, I've managed to go through life without panicking about HIV. I was able to have rational talks about HIV, I was able to be physical despite my OCD. Now the fear has struck again.

A week ago, I went out and met a woman in a bar. At the end of the evening, when I actually just wanted to say goodbye with a kiss on the cheek, we somehow ended up making out passionately. Now - I know that kissing itself is not a risk for HIV transmission, and even though I've had a brief moment of anxiety when a girl bit my lip a couple of years ago and seriously confused her when I instantly went to the bathroom to check for traces of blood, I've generally been able to reassure myself with that rule.

So, basically, I wouldn't ask for advice if it wasn't for an additional factor. The woman I made out with had a little wound above her upper lip on her right side, about the size of a large pimple (I have attached images that were taken about an hour before we kissed). I wasn't there when she got the wound, but she said it was from when she fell on an icy road on the way to the bar earlier that night.

I remember briefly thinking about the risk such a wound could pose when we kissed, but I remembered the mantra that kissing isn't a risk for HIV infection, and so, being a little drunk and feeling a little depressed that night, I kissed her inspite of the little wound. It wasn't an open wound, as far as I remember - she probably would not have wanted to kiss me in that case anyway, and she initiated, in my recollection, and I tried to avoid touching it with my lips by kissing the other side of her mouth. And while I certainly never actually tasted blood while kissing her, I, of course, cannot rule out have touched the wound with my lips. And I don't know if it was actually completely dry, or if there were remnants of either blood or wound secretions that I may have touched with my lips. So, basically, there was a chance for mucuous tissue to have been in contact with small ramaining traces of blood or wound secretions. And the wound may even have reopend a little due to the mouth movements during kissing.

When we eventually stopped and sat down to talk for a bit, I realized what had happened and was very confused and a little angry at me about my carelessness. She, of course, didn't understand that I had to leave at that moment. I went home and slept. The next day, I was initially worried, but a little relieved when I looked at the pictures that were taken an hour before we kissed and the wound didn't look too bad.

These are cutouts of the images I took about an hour before we kissed, they are showing the wound above her lip -

Yesterday, precisely six days after we kissed, I developed a sore throat (or was it a pharyngitis?) And on the way back from the pharmay, where I got something against the sore throat, I remembered that pharyngitis was also a symptom of ARS, and that the kiss was almost a week ago, so I started panicking.

The sore throat has actually become better today (it's on and off, bizarrely), but now I've also developed some kind of elevated temperature. It's not exactly fever, but I don't have a congested nose, so this doesn't seem to be due to a normal cold. So all day, I've been freezing on and off, not really developing fever, but still feeling like shit, suddenly feeling my lymphnodes from time to time.

Sure, part of that is likely due to the stress of the fear I'm developing, but even so, it's not helping with dealing with the fear. My first HIV fear were the worst, most stressful months of my entire life, so I'd really hope that I can find a way to not let this develop into a full blown panic, and hopefully also avoid having to ask her about her HIV status as a first question on the date we're going to have next week.

What is your take? Is this a real risk? Is testing required?

Thanks again for all the amazing work you're doing.
And thanks for a brief reply to my question.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Not quite the typical risk of kissing question.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 02:18:49 am »
You DO NOT get HIV from a kiss.

Even with someone whose mouth was previously cut.

You had NO risk.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline onemarct

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »
jkinatl2,

thank you very very very much for your reply. I can't tell you how relieved I was when I read it. It was almost an instantaneous physical reaction. Most of the symptoms I described above were gone within an hour or two of reading your reply.

So, thank you *very very much*.

Also, for others suffering from this Kind of anxiety and thinking about ARS, here's an interesting link I found on the web yesterday, it looks a Little like a commercial link, but it describes very usefully how anxiety can cause symptoms, and it sounds like a textbook description of what I've experienced since beginning to link the sore throat to ARS...

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/symptoms/causing-fever

Offline onemarct

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:18:56 pm »
Hey everyone-

sorry I need to add a question to this thread. So I'm just coming home from a date with the woman whom I made out with two weeks ago, whose lips are pictured in the inital post.

While pretty much all my symptoms disappeard after I read your reply, JKinatl, when I talked to her today about that night, she mentioned two things that got me worried again.

Firstly, she mentioned that she had put makeup on the wound she retained when she fell on the icy street so it wouldn't look so bad before she kept on partying (and we eventually kissed). So now I'm even less sure about the exact nature of the wound and the possible amount of blood and wound secretions that I may have come into contact with.

So in that respect, my question would be - how much would be a risk worth testing for in this respect? I don't know if there is an answer to that question, but if it is, I'd be grateful for an answer.

Secondly, and this is probably also an intersting aspect for the other OCDers reading this: She mentioned having a bad immune system, because she was down with a cold for two weeks. Now, of course, that set off my alarm bells, I instantly started sweating and it took a lot of mental energy to pretend to stay calm and so I tried asking a little bit further, without directly asking about any specific disease. Eventually she said that she had had Mono once, and that caused said weaknesses in her immune system.

My guess is, and that's also reassuring, that, if she was HIV positive (and aware thereof), given the wound, the kiss, and the story about mono, she would have told me at that point.

Still, hearing the story about Mono and thinking of HIV, I started to feel a light pain in what I considered to be the lymphnodes behind my ears within *seconds*. It was honestly like a light switch. She said Mono, I felt the lymphnodes.

Thanks again!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 06:29:52 pm »
It wouldn't matter if she was HIV positive. It is not a risk.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 07:10:27 pm »
There is still absolutely zero risk to you from kidding a girl who hurt her mouth earlier in the day, put makeup on it, and then went out with you.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.