Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:59:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: mosquito bite reaction  (Read 17058 times)

Offline Dachshund

mosquito bite reaction
« on: July 04, 2006, 03:28:57 pm »
Summer in the South always means one thing...mosquito bites. There is no way to avoid a mosquito bite, no matter how careful.

I have noticed the same reaction whenever I am bitten. Let me preface by saying I have been on Sustiva/Truvada for about three years, VL undetectable, and a CD4 count that hovers around 350.

Now the reaction to a bite. Reddening of the area, followed by a clear sticky discharge that can last up to a week or more. Eventually the bite scabs over and heals, but the bite area can remain discolored for quite some time. I take care not to irritate the bite and the use of a topical does not seem to hasten the healing process. I can't remember this happening pre-meds. Has anyone else experienced this with mosquito bites?

Thanks,
Hal

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: mosquito bite reaction
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 06:57:53 pm »
Hello Hal,

Can't say that I have experienced this in mosquito haven !! Which reminds me to clean-up the patio and prevent a breeding ground from taking place, and get rid of anything that can collect rain water. It's that time of the year again.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

jerry

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 07:39:14 pm »
Hal good you brought that up. I have noticed after getting bit by mosquito's that I tend to have large swelling the size of dimes. Usually it takes about two weeks to finally see them disappear but after that there is another one to deal with. Yeah I guess we ones that live in the south should rather avoid going outside in the summer months. Or at least put a lot of Off on us.  ;)

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:48:11 pm »
Ive also noticed an increased reaction to mosquito bites since starting HAART, much more swelling and itching than before.
Although after getting a mouthfull of my PI, Cholesterol and Alcohol laden blood, the mosquitos may just be giving me an extra dose of venom out of spite.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 08:21:59 am »
I asked my doc about it a couple of weeks ago...even showed him a fresh bite on my leg. He attributed the reaction to an overactive immune response. I said," I guess any immune response is a good response", he patted me on my head and said, "see you in three months".

Hal

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 11:08:11 pm »
Hello, I am also on Truvada and Sustiva, have been since NOV 2005. I have not had the extreme reaction that you have but I have noticed that my mosquito bites itch worse and stay longer than they did before i started my medicine. I live in rural NC and make sure I use bug spray before I go outside even though I don't like bug spray.  Hope it gets better for you and invest in some OFF even though it's nasty.     Cristy

Offline vardneck

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 03:46:21 pm »
WOW!!!
    Was I glad to find this post!!! I thought I was alone.
    Last year, and now this year I'm having a problem with what for lack or a better phrase is: I'm a mosquito magnate!!! I live in Virginia and they have gotten bad in being attracted to me now that I'm on HAART.
     It's not like when I was younger and HIV- but now they swell, itch and scar A LOT!!!! The itch is unbelievable!!!! Just gotta be careful I guess. I thought it was my imagination.

Let me know how it goes

Fuzzy

CD4 398
VL undectable
Sustiva/Truvada
Poz 5/25/05
Sustiva/ Truvada
10/5/05 CD4 182 VL<400
1/3/06 CD4 240 VL<400
4/5/06 CD4 291 VL<400
6/26/06 CD4 369 VL<400
9/20/06 CD4 366 VL 418
Started Atripla 12/9/06
12/27/06 CD4 372 VL<400
5/23/07 CD4 468 VL<400
8/17/07 CD4 520 VL<400
11/12/07 CD4 513 VL<48
2/2/08  CD4 566 VL<48
5/17/08 CD4 601 VL<48
8/22/08 CD4 532 VL<48
11/14/08 CD4 496 VL<48
2/14/09 CD4 397 VL<48
5/22/09 CD4 566 VL<48

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 05:32:53 pm »
WOW!!!
    Was I glad to find this post!!! I thought I was alone.
    Last year, and now this year I'm having a problem with what for lack or a better phrase is: I'm a mosquito magnate!!! I live in Virginia and they have gotten bad in being attracted to me now that I'm on HAART.
     It's not like when I was younger and HIV- but now they swell, itch and scar A LOT!!!! The itch is unbelievable!!!! Just gotta be careful I guess. I thought it was my imagination.

Let me know how it goes

Fuzzy

CD4 398
VL undectable
Sustiva/Truvada

My doctor assured me it was nothing to worry about. If I plan to be outside for any amount of time I try to remember to use an insect repellent. Like you I am a human skeeter target in the summer. Living in southern USA there is the added risk of West Nile Virus that a mosquito can carry.

p.s. Welcome, we are glad you found the site.
Hal

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 05:55:54 pm »
Now, where I come from (N. California) mosquito bites mean WEST NILE VIRUS.

Three years ago the virus made a big appearance in California  It reached it peak last year and is under control this year, due primarily to expanding the local mosquito abatement districts and spraying.

It's one of the virus that my ID doctor is very concerned about and tells me to beware of.  Every morning when we walk our dogs, I spray myself for mosquito's.  I've got spray bottles all over the place, just in case.  Last year there was 1 death in the county due to the virus (47 year old single male.)

Mosquito's pass the virus to birds and horses and people.

For more information on the national problem of WNV (West Nile Virus) you can CLICK HERE.

For more information on California try clicking here.

Robert

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:00:13 pm by Robert »

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 10:52:46 pm »
Just to echo whats been noted already, Ive not only noticed an increased reaction to the bites, but an increased attraction & # of bites.  I had literally gone years without a mosquito bite and within a month of starting HAART I couldnt make it to the mailbox and back without several fresh bites...My guess is that something in the meds either wipes out any natural repellant that our body chemistry has, or adds something that actually ATTRACTS the little buggers. My doc also gave me the 'Increased Immune response' brush off... In any event its something to take seriously... I use Deep Woods Off LIBERALLY when Im in the yard, and for the bites that I do get, I like Benadryl Max. Strength Anti Itch Cream.  For a 'Home Remedy' Ive also had good luck with  Aloe Vera gel both directly from the plant and in extract form, but it doesnt last as long and is a tad bit Funky when used raw. 
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Batboy

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 04:29:38 pm »
I'm glad to have this thread also. I noticed this summer, after being on sustiva nd truvada for about four months, a increased reaction to mosquito bites. I guess it's a pretty common thing from what I'm reading here. My reaction hasn't been as severe as what you describe. In fact, I wasn't at all concerned about it but, did notice that the bites would swell up quite large, last for a long period of time and be more itchy and painful than I ever remember.

One did actually cause the muscle in my leg,  near the site of the bite, to stiffen for a couple of days and give me a slight limp. that was just once and hasn't occurred again.

Offline weasel

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 07:53:13 pm »
been on the same  cocktail !
   I get horible  mosquito bites , twice they have turned to Impetigo!
  Right now I am on Augmenton  to clear up staff!

This forum  looks VERY helpful !
     I have had NO contact with  the real world ( HIV'ERS )
     In over a year ! times get rough ..................
     hope to find a nitch  here ....................

found out   2 years ago  , 9-10-05 ,   18 years  of  not knowing was a blessing , monogumus relation 25 years , he's NOT poz.  : )

Meds  make me feel like  crap , alot  of the time ................
                                                             weasel

365 tcell,  vl  undetectible   

mental   case !  : (
" Live and let Live "

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 08:05:04 pm »
Yeah living in Virginia can be rough with mosquito bites this is usually what happens to me when I get bitten.

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 07:33:50 am »
i just started meds a week ago Truvada/Kaletra - but i moved to an area with lots of mosquitoes 6 weeks ago... and since the move I've been having horrible reactions to the bites - PRE HAART - the bites would swell up like the size of quarters/golf balls and be very painful. For me it seems like the HIV alone made them worse since i never had such dramatic reactions before. Since HAART they seems to be ever so slightly better. The little monsters are still all over me though.
diagnosed 03/08/05
reluctantly started my first combo (Kaletra/Truvada) on 09/28/06 cause my tcells were dropping and vl increasing.
01/26/07 - undetectable!
12/01/08 - started new combo because of problems with Kaletra. Now on Truvada/Isentress.
Still undetectable. :)

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 09:37:50 am »
From the web:

Mosquitoes are insects that have been around for over 30 million years. And it seems that, during those millions of years, mosquitoes have been honing their skills so that they are now experts at finding people to bite. A mosquito has a battery of sensors designed to track their prey, including:

Chemical sensors - mosquitoes can sense carbon dioxide and lactic acid up to 100 feet (36 meters) away. Mammals and birds gives off these gases as part of their normal breathing. Certain chemicals in sweat also seem to attract mosquitoes (people who don't sweat much don't get nearly as many mosquito bites).

Visual sensors - if you are wearing clothing that contrasts with the background, and especially if you move while wearing that clothing, mosquitoes can see you and zero in on you. It's a good bet that anything moving is "alive", and therefore full of blood, so this is a good strategy.

Heat sensors - Mosquitoes can detect heat, so they can find warm-blooded mammals and birds very easily once they get close enough.

I guess the chemical makeup of ou sweat and possibly breath is altered by the meds...

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline catwoman

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 02:07:52 am »
Mosquitos are the worst!  >:( I just got a bite on my right foot that now has my foot swollen.  It hurts to walk.  I'm on Kaletra/Truvada also.  It'll probably take a week to heal.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 11:34:49 am »
Insects that bite... ants, mosquito's, flies etc... I have reactions to them all... bendril and adrax are anti histamine's which help with the itching and swelling..

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 05:50:56 pm »
wow....an unscientific common ground. i love the 3 month doctor brush off. i am just nawed on @ the beach. like some said, some not all 'em which is odd swell to the size of a dime and form a hard knot. and they itch like crazy specially @ night.

i take "Caladryl" lotion not off market calmine lotion and cover the bite.  stops the  itching and cuts the healing time in half.

i think the reaction is very strange & some1 needs to look in2 it!

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 08:50:44 pm »
Now, where I come from (N. California) mosquito bites mean WEST NILE VIRUS.

Robert

There has been a report of West Nile here in San Jose, I better run to the store and get some bug repellent

Rich
(who is scared of viruses he doesn't already have)  ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 10:27:31 pm »
mosquitoes never bother me. I don't think they can get through the hair.
 :)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 11:18:22 pm »

PRE HAART - the bites would swell up like the size of quarters/golf balls and be very painful. For me it seems like the HIV alone made them worse since i never had such dramatic reactions before.

This rings true with me. No meds and for the last two summers mosquito bites have huge, red, hot to the touch and nearly golf ball-sized swellings. Subsides within several days - no topicals used.

Offline Kellyk

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 11:24:19 pm »
I have always had reactions to mosquito bites - but it does seem to  be a lot worse in the past year.  The bites swell up to approx the size of a half dollar and sometimes bruises...the area is usually extremely hot to the touch   This usually lasts for a few days.

currently on Atripla..

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 11:02:59 am »
I thought I was the only one whose reaction to mosquito bites is now more severe - I get small raised welts that take a week to heal and they itch like hell.  I guess I should spend less time cruising in the outdoors, given that there can be lots of exposed skin sometimes.

Offline SASA39

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 05:26:46 am »
Since beeing poz , I have noticed an overreaction to a mosquito bites too.
I have read somewhere that it has to do with a raised levels of gammaglobulines which occures in almost all poz people.............
Just my 2cc
                         Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.