Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:39:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 220
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A Worried Catman.  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
A Worried Catman.
« on: July 07, 2007, 11:48:20 am »
Help! I'm freaking out a little because there is a delay in the shipment of my meds since last July 4th. Apparently the holiday created some issues, and the clinic where I get my meds ran out of supplies for Aptivus and Norvir. I do have the Fuzeon, though. The meds arrive on Monday afternoon at 4pm, but by this time I would have missed 8 dosages of two of my meds. The lady at the pharmacy told me to continue injecting the Fuzeon, though. "Better to have one than none at all", she said! I'm afraid that I might develop resistance to my Fuzeon because I believe to have read somewhere that it should not be taken alone. She then said that some patients are on Fuzeon alone! I have no idea if this is true. Anyways, I'm really nervous about this because I had a blip a few weeks back in my labs and in my last results I was back to "undetectable". This situation is really pulling the rug off from under my four paws! Any feedback from  you knowledgeable members out there? Is my situation a critical one to becoming resistant to my meds? This cat is going crazy. I need some catnip... :-[
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: A Worried Catman.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 12:01:42 pm »
Obviously this is not an ideal situation for you but I wouldn't worry too much.  One, it's out of your hands somewhat and Two, it's a weekend now so you can't even pester an ASO connection that might be able to tap into a hidden reserve somewhere in PR. 

I'm a VERY firm believer in obtaining one's monthly meds within the usual 5-day advance refill territory on a regular basis, which over time allows you to stockpile.  Look into doing that as a safeguard going forward.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 12:13:03 pm »
Catman - if you are in a major city, lots of ASOs are open and operating today.  I would not wait till Monday if I could avoid it. 

For example, here in NYC, I believe GMHC is open and someone there could point you in the right direction.  Also - what about buying the number of doses you need from your local pharmacy - I'd guess $30-$50 per day for the meds, but worth a try...  Have your doctor call in a 3-5 day prescription, and then just plunk down the old Visa and walk out happy. 

Offline Catman

• Who is the Catman?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 12:47:01 pm »
 This issue caught me off guard and I didn't think it would happen. As a matter of fact, it's the first time it has EVER happened in the time I've been getting my meds here. I went on Tuesday afternoon to get them before I ran out. The lady said there was that delay and that Friday afternoon they would arrive. I sort of stretched out the remaining pills between that day and Friday morning just to have something in my system. I took a regular dosage in the morning and half during the evening with my Fuzeon. I thought "Ill only miss Friday morning's dosage but that won't be an issue". After work I went directly to the clinic and "Bam"! No meds arrived. Then I was really worried. I live in Puerto Rico and do not think we have any ASOs and frankly I had never even heard about that. To make it worse everything fell on a weekend so it is out of my hands like Philly said. Even my doctor takes off on weekends and there are no other doctors who would dispatch a short term prescription without any consent from my doc. My stress level would really go up if they start asking for proof of my status and other stuff like that. Besides, there is no guarantee that they would agree to give me the prescription when I haven't ever gone to another doctor beside my own in over 20 years ( doctors related to the hiv field I mean). I'll just stay put at home this weekend and try to relax as much as I can without worrying and eat properly. It won't be easy, but I'll try. I hope my immune system holds up and that my cell's memory keep my CD4's where they're at right now. Wish me luck. :-\
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 12:49:47 pm by Catman »
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 01:34:08 pm »
The lady at the pharmacy is out of her mind.

From what I know of meds, it is usually better to stop all the meds rather than just take one. The exception to this is Sustiva, which lasts a long time in the body.

I have heard of the problems in Puerto Rico with medical services. I would raise holy hell with the clinic, doc and pharmacy about this.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Catman

• Who is the Catman?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 01:53:29 pm »
The lady at the pharmacy is out of her mind.
From what I know of meds, it is usually better to stop all the meds rather than just take one. The exception to this is Sustiva, which lasts a long time in the body.
I have heard of the problems in Puerto Rico with medical services. I would raise holy hell with the clinic, doc and pharmacy about this.
HUGS,
Mark
    This was my same thought. I also read that it was better to stop all at once until all the meds where available. I really don't feel it correct to raise hell at the clinic because they have provided me with good service and have never denied anything. They are good (coming from a Federal and local government program). The problem arose in San Juan and my clinic is in the city of Mayaguez which is on the West coast. And yes, they have been having problems enrolling new patients into the program. Many now have to delete their insurance Pharmacy tops and then apply for the meds which is not a good thing because they don't have the insurance to pay for any other med they might be taking besides stuff for hiv. That could happen to me in the future but my insurance flatly says they don't pay for HIV nor Cancer meds. What a bummer.
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 02:06:08 pm »
I'm glad you're not caught up in that mess as yet. I will be sending positive energy your way, just in case.

We have run into similar situations here, where people have had to pay out of pocket for meds other than the HIV meds. It is a bummer and, sometimes, a real problem.

Let us know how things work out for you.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 11:16:29 am »
Catman - how did you make out??  Are you back on all your meds??  Keeping my fingers crossed here.

Offline Catman

• Who is the Catman?
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 08:03:15 pm »
 I finally got all my meds today. I barely slept this past weekend, and I was really scared because of this unexpected interuption. I did inject the Fuzeon alone these past days  because I didn't dare leave my blood stream without any medication for hiv. It might have been the wrong thing to do but I felt disoriented in this situation. I injected Fuzeon 7 times without the aid of Aptivus and Norvir. If I'm detectable in my next labs, this could have been the reason why. I feel like a guinea pig now. My boyfriend just injected me 10 minutes ago and I took the pills. So I begin, again. He came over because they gave on TV some news about an enzyme that is crucial for hiv replicating and that if scientists target that, they may find a cure or another medication to treat hiv. Any news is better than no news. My experience without the meds really disorganized my life this past week. I never knew I was so attached to this routine. I am a long term survivor you know, 21 years and counting! I felt like a junkie shaking a little because I was not being able to get the drugs. I guess that if a cure is discovered, and we rid our blood of hiv, and we stop our medication routine, I'll substitute my dosage time with either drinking wine, eating cheese excessively, or just jerking off on X-Tube while I get use to not taking drugs for hiv! ;)

Thanks for sharing this situation with me guys. It does help.

And Mark, I do percieve your positive energy. :-* Muchas gracias, Papi !
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 09:00:05 pm »
I hope things work out sweetheart, this is the kind of thing that just gets me SO angry. Firstly, that you dont have access to what you need WHEN you need it and secondly that theres no emergency help, I'm so sorry babe, hope u ok
xx
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.