Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:08:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 690
Total: 690

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vitamin B  (Read 2700 times)

Offline gcr.mty.mx

Vitamin B
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:49:33 am »
Hi everyone!

It’s been a while since my last post, ...just living life I guess!

A couple of weeks ago I had a conversation with a couple of friends, subject was vitamin B complex and it’s benefits.

Didn’t think much of it until recently. I’ve been experiencing ups and downs moodwise. I don’t thinks it’s depression since I am doing all my activities, been handling my work, personal life is A-OK but... I’ve noticed on and off that I have days that I feel down. Not tired, not depressed, I just feel like I have very low energy and sometimes distracted or not as sharp.

Then a couple of days ago I read that hiv can suppress absorption of vitamin B. Could that be a factor in these mood swings?

Now, I now the cause may be many things, but hearing how some people take the vitamins so easily, could I try and see if I notice any improvements?

My next doctors appointment is not for another month.

What do you guys think?

Stay strong!

G
01/16 diagnosed
03/16 cd4 750 VL 150,000
03/16 truvada+ritonavir(norvir)+reyataz
06/16 cd4 -- VL UD!
09/16 truvada+ritonavir(norvir)+duranavir(prezista)
03/17 cd4 -- VL UD

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Vitamin B
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:31:57 pm »
Hope you feel better soon but glad to hear things are going well generally speaking.

I would ask the doctor to test and that way you know for sure and if it is the case than maybe you can get a shot of vitamins and work on prevention like diet if needed.

Personally I had shots of B12 myself, many years ago for fatigue from a doctor and after that I changed my diet, been fine since.

Not saying the issue is a deficiency and nobody online could tell you that, I'm just saying i don't see why not and to check it with the doctor. Deficiencies are common enough issue in the world even for the HIV negative population, for me Vit B and particularly B12 is prehaps slightly less common in my neck of the woods and western locations, that said low energy, days of feeling down and than ups and distracted or not as sharp could be everything or nothing.

Hope you do feel better soon whatever the cause and keep us posted.

Jim

http://i-base.info/qa/1873

https://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-b12-deficiency-symptoms-causes#1
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:04:18 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 08:49:22 pm »
you got to get it tested to know.

back in Feb, I was having some small odd symptoms, including incredibly cold hands. Oh my hands always get cold in the winter anyway; but this year like ice. Strangers I shook hands with looked at me as though I had the plague, was dead, or perhaps undead.

got a b12 test and found out I was horribly deficient. So low we didn't know why I wasn't having motor coordination and cognitive issues. Egads. So 4 b12 shots over about 6 weeks and I had an off-the-scale sky-high b12 count. I wasn't anymore energized or jazzed (an hour in the gym everyday hadn't gotten any worse or easier), a weird tongue issue (geographic tongue) hadn't cleared up, and my hands were still cold.....just not as cold.

so you never know about these weird things except to get it tested and find out.  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline gcr.mty.mx

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:49:24 pm »
I know the causes can be many, probably even not realted to HIV, its just been really noticeable lately.

As always thank you for your comments! Will keep you updated.

G
01/16 diagnosed
03/16 cd4 750 VL 150,000
06/16 cd4 -- VL UD!
03/17 cd4 -- VL UD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:11:34 pm »
you may want to have your b6-niacin level checked too. It's used in the process of using the b12

helpful hint: you can't OD on b12. Even though mine was too low (<=150 is the danger zone of side effects, and I was at 130) and then really high, I've been taking a b12 every other day (mmmmm. they are yummy meltable tabs). Any excess is expelled in urine.

helpful hint 2: you can overdose on b6. After half a week of taking it every day, I broke out in a rash. Having just gone through a really serious reaction to bactrim, I stopped that b6 fast. I have no idea how often I should take it, so I don't take it at all. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline gcr.mty.mx

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:33:00 pm »
how about a multivitamin such as Centrum? Do HIV+ people benefit/need it at some point?

G
01/16 diagnosed
03/16 cd4 750 VL 150,000
06/16 cd4 -- VL UD!
03/17 cd4 -- VL UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.