Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:43:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 357
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Sex during large herpes outbreak  (Read 1482 times)

Offline llogan

Sex during large herpes outbreak
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:30:26 pm »
Hello, everyone. I'm pretty damned worried about a recent possible exposure, and I was hoping you can evaluate this for me.

First off, let me say I did a horrible and despicable thing. It's not like me, and I am so very angry and disappointed in myself.

The incident happened Friday, 4 days ago.

I have HSV2, and I was in the middle of a pretty large outbreak when this incident happened. My outbreak covered probably a little less than a square inch on my penis shaft, way down at the base. There were probably as many as 15 little sores. When I had my sexual contact, it was at the point where the sores had burst and were scabbed over for a day or 2.

My contact was this:
I was the insertive partner during anal sex with a gay or bi guy I met on Craigslist. He said he's neg, but I can only rely on that so much. I wore a latex condom, used compatible lube, and the condom did not break or slip.

Here's the thing. I rolled the condom down as close to the base of my penis as I could, but that left about a half-inch of exposed shaft, and I'll estimate that it left about half of the area of my active herpes outbreak not covered by the condom.

Throughout the sex (which probably lasted less than 5 minutes), I kept watching the condom, and always made sure that the 'ring' at the bottom of my condom never went inside his anus. We were ‘doggy’ so it was pretty easy to observe. In other words, I am confident that I did not go deep enough to see the condom disappear into him. In fact, during climax, I put my penis between 2 fingers which held the condom in place and to make sure I didn't go too deep.

When I pulled out, everything seemed fine and the condom was sung. I did notice that two of my sores started bleeding again, very slightly. One of them was fully covered by the condom, and one was not (it was the furthest away from where the condom ended).

I carefully removed the condom and gently but thoroughly washed my penis with soap and water, and left.

Now, logic is telling me this: I watched the condom the entire time, and the ring at the base of the condom never, ever disappeared inside his anus. This tells me that none of the skin of my penis actually entered his anus without the protection of a condom, even the skin that was right exactly at the end of the condom. DOES THIS SEEM LIKE A FAIR ASSESSMENT?

Secondly, because of the fact that I never entered deep enough to insert the entire condom inside of him, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to become infected with HIV - CORRECT? I may have gotten very close, but not inside without the protection of a condom, right?

Thirdly, I have read all over this forum that the HIV virus cannot survive and infect if present outside the human body - so, is that basically an instantaneous killing of the virus, as soon as it is expose to air, or does it take a few seconds and can it infect during that window?

Obviously I am concerned about those anal fluids, mixed with the lube, coming in contact with a very open herpes sore, and thus infecting me. Keeping in mind that I was always able to see the bottom ring of the condom, and made sure not to insert my penis so far as to make it disappear, IS THERE AN HIV CONCERN HERE?

I assume that if I could always see the condom, I was always 100% protected, and that the virus can't "roll" over the end of the condom and seep into an open herpes sore - right?

I'm completely paralyzed by fear AND devastated that I probably gave this guy herpes. I was completely selfish and not clear-minded. This was a stupid, stupid decision on my part.

I am regularly reaching out to this guy, but he has not responded. I want to tell him about this incident.

I know it is incredibly irresponsible for me to have had sex during such a large and still active herpes outbreak. I am ashamed and really will need to deal with this on my own terms.

Can you please assess my HIV risk level, specifically of course with the herpes half covered/half exposed at the bottom of the condom, but the bottom of the condom never going inside his anus?

Thank you very much.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Sex during large herpes outbreak
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:29:10 pm »
Nothing stood out that requires additional testing or concerns

Test as you normally would and at least yearly for STI's and HIV. Continue to use condoms and lube

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline llogan

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:34:29 pm »
Jim, many thanks.

Are you saying, based on what I've told you, that my  active herpes outbreak is a non-factor in my case?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:26:15 pm »
It's not a factor.

You should not be having sexual contact during an outbreak but that's another story all together.

Just test as normal when next due for a routine check up

Jim

P.S on second thoughts no it's not a different matter. Stop spreading STI'S it's plain nasty and selfish.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:38:49 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.