Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:05:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 648
Total: 649

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HOW Do You Cope: Depression or sadness around holidays  (Read 8815 times)

Offline den2542

• Life is what you make it, so make it good
HOW Do You Cope: Depression or sadness around holidays
« on: November 25, 2017, 06:31:08 pm »
While we know that there is alot of great support here in the forums, I am curious if our members still find themselves sad, depressed, or melancholy around the holidays or perhaps other times. If so, have you figured out how it is triggered? Is it a combination of things or a sinhle thing. Is it HIV related or not? Last, and this is important, how did you overcome or reduce or even refocus that thought process and was it effective? Perhaps by sharing strategies to cope I or even someone else might learn.

Offline kentfrat1783

• Instagram: kentfrat1783
Re: HOW Do You Cope: Depression or sadness around holidays
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 10:30:23 pm »
Hi,

I’m not the best one with an answer but I’m also wondering what others do. The 13 months prior to my Dx was bad enough let alone the past 6 months since my Dx.

I know things will get better emotionally but won’t be the same.

But I do hope you are doing decent and I’m here if you need to talk. Sometimes that helps me. Just talking.

Kenneth
Date - CD4 - Percent - VL
08/23/23 - 366 - 26%
06/20/23 - 349 - 21% - UD
04/15/23 - 229 - 19% - <20
11/14/22 - 486 - 24% - 73
10/12/22 - 316 - 19% - <20
06/20/22 - 292 - 21% - <20
01/25/22 - 321 - 22% - <20
09/22/21 - 278 - 19% - <20
02/02/21 - 225 - 19% - <20
06/08/20 - 257 - 20% - <20
03/17/20 - 285 - 19% - 101 (2.00)
12/17/19 - 290 - 20% - <20
09/17/19 - 218 - 16%
06/18/19 - 173 - 16% - <20
03/13/19 - 170 - 16% - <20
January 2019 - Started Triumeq
12/05/08 - 174 - 18% - <20
08/28/18 - 166 - 15% - <20
05/08/18 - 106 - 11% - <20
03/05/18 -   90 - 10% - <20
12/11/17 -   60 -   8%
09/07/17 -   42 -   6% - 54 (1.70)
May 2017 - Started Atripla
05/11/17 -    2 -    1% - 169,969 (5.23)
OI's: PCP
Dx`d May 11, 2017

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:31:12 am »
Beer and cannabis. Probably not the healthiest emotional crutch.

Stay buzzed enough nothing weighs on me.

But I wake up at 5am, painfully lonely, shaking off last nights substances. Loneliness is something that has been deeply bothering me lately.

I come here to ramble and vent, and saw your post.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:26:20 am »

Depression and anger/bitterness seem to mingle together in me.  The troubling part for me is that I tend to hide it from everyone around me, being in therapy/counseling a lot in my younger years--hiding it was something I use to never do.

Tough topic.  I hope others chime in on what's been successful for them.

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:50:41 am »
Fresh air daily and movement. Daylight on the face.

See people.  Call mom.  etc.

Just remember that for me, usually the worst will pass in an hour or a day, often enough and anyway there is work, commute.

Sometimes take a benzo.

Sometimes drink some bubbly wine.

Masturbate. See a sex buddy.

Massage.

I would get a dog about the loneliness but I am away from the house too long everyday and even when home, find it difficult to keep to a schedule, which apartment dogs need.  Not like I could let him out in the yard, etc.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 10:06:48 am »
Accept change...

Nothing stays the same and you have to learn to embrace the new places and people that will come into your life. You will always have memories of past times and of the ones who are no longer with us, but don't shut out the new.

I'm 62 and still making new friends and memories, mixing the old with the new.
I have many fond old memories and they are the building blocks for the new ones that lay ahead. I don't allow time for the blues.

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline den2542

• Life is what you make it, so make it good
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 01:48:23 am »
Thank you for all your great comments. I have my good moments and bad moments. When I am around my kids I feel needed and so I feel better. It's during time that I am alone that my mind wanders and bad thoughts enter like what if my meds combo fail, what if I get cancer, what if ... and the list goes on. By the time I get done in my mind the worse has already happened even though it didn't but the sadness is there. I can't begin to tell you how happy I felt when Moderator Jim wrote that U=U and seeing his post in writing cheered me up. I mean that's where having a great close friend to verbally talk to would have helped long ago. So I really depend on y'all more than you know.
Wade: I was married for 18 years and now divorced at my choice so I'm just learning how to reach out.
Mecch.. one can only pound your pud so much b4 it gets sore
Skeebo exactly what you say is how I feel
Zach.... one day b4 I die I'll do the weed but can't right now... my job won't let me but gotta do that one time
Kenneth. I think I'm over the HIV thing as far a depression but I'm still angry that my spouse didn't want to be with me bc I was poz. That hurts. Still.
Dennis

Offline Gladragsguy

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 08:27:14 pm »
I know it's a bit late but one of the best ways to get into a better holiday mood is to put up some decorations, drag down that box of holiday stuff and sprinkle it around. Don't have any? Get a bit of garland or a little tree and put it out. Better yet go online and pick out a holiday decorating project and complete it...a project always takes your mind off the blues. Finally get out and be with others because there are plenty of places to be...surely you had some invitations-if not seek out others-church, support groups, or clubs all have holiday events so make sure to get out and be social. Happy Holidays!

Offline joemutt

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 05:56:02 am »
help others

Offline blackbeauty40

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 12:01:22 pm »
I'd like to know how people deal with it also. My kids are grown, my family pretty much disowned me when I told them I was positive. I don't have any friends because they did as my family did when they discovered my status. I ended up getting into destructive relationships so I wouldn't have to be alone during the holidays. Holidays and birthdays are the worst for me.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.