Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:12:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 346
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Neuropathy Treatment?  (Read 2191 times)

Offline LunarPariah

Neuropathy Treatment?
« on: March 15, 2017, 02:18:23 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the right area for my particular issue but hopefully someone is familiar with the problem.

(It's kind of long, sorry; however, it's a complicated issue.)

I was diagnosed last July with AIDS with a CD4 of 51. I only found out when I went to see a Rheumatologist about pain I was having in my back and feet. Prior to starting treatment she asked if I would mind doing a HIV treatment, as the treatment has a side effect of lowering your immune system.

She diagnosed me with Psoriasis Arthritis, but because of the illness she could not treat it with the typical methods. The only thing she was able to prescribe for me was Celebrex (which is, in itself, contraindicated for my medicines [Descovy and Tivicay].)

As well as PsA, I have Psoriasis. My dermatologist prescribed Otezla for the psoriasis  and noted that some people had PsA symptoms relieved as well. Unfortunately, it helped the psoriasis but not the pain associated with the Arthritis.

At this point, the only thing my infectious disease doctor has been able to do is prescribe a milder narcotic, Tramadol, to help with the pain. We started at 50mg but have had to go up to 150mg, but this is still not helping with the nephropathy. My psychologist even has me on Lyrica 150mg x 2 as an off lablel use for a mood stabalizer. It helps to keep me stabilized but has not been effective in blocking the pain sensors in my back and feet.

The problem is I have serious mental health issues. Many people with my mental health conditions battle with addictions. I myself have not had this issue, thankfully. But because of this my IDD does not want to go any higher on my pain medication because, even though it is a more mild drug, it can still be addictive.  This leaves me in a seemingly no win situation with my health. Narcotics are not suggested with people with mental health issues, but the near constant pain aggravates my illness, causing more depressive episodes.

On my most recent visit my IDD asked me if my Rheumatologist had discussed "modulators" as part of my treatment. I have never heard of this. Unfortunately, my Rheumatologist is on maternity leave and will not be back until July.

My question is anyone has, or knows someone, who has these issues who is receiving helpful treatment? Or does anyone know anything about modulators for arthritis.

Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Neuropathy Treatment?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 02:35:32 pm »
Hi

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the concerns you are facing.
I am sure someone will chime in soon with something useful keeping in mind we can't give medical advice just personal experience.

Have you tired any Anti-seizure medications to reduce the pain/symptoms by any chance? I know most would interact but "pregabalin" might be okay or something similar, it might at least be worth asking your doctor about it so they can check for you.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:42:18 pm »
I have used vit. B 12 (drinking it, not the injection) with success

Neurologist,at the time,said it works on ca. 10-15% of patients
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:42:44 am »
Hi Lunar and sorry for the pain, I know it well and have been living with arthritis more than half my life. Had 2 knee replacements as a result.
I take Aleve for pain and keep moving, no pain meds.
Taking something to reduce the inflammation and keep moving is the only thing I can tell you. I know it sucks and I hope this helps.

Hugs, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.