Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2017, 07:26:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 31297
  • Latest: ajtylor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 717893
  • Total Topics: 58009
  • Online Today: 364
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Seeking Expert for my son  (Read 855 times)

Offline Veronica

Seeking Expert for my son
« on: March 14, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »
Greetings,

I am seeking a medical expert in the field of HIV/AIDs to either point me in the right direction or be able to offer expertise directly to help a little girl gain more access to the father she needs.

My son, (name redacted) contracted HIV through a sexual encounter which compromised his ability to have regular, meaningful contact with his daughter (name redacted). She is three years old and really needs her dad who wants to be a regular part of her daily life. In the divorce from (name redacted) mom, the judge in Kansas City Missouri assigned to the case, determined that ď(name redacted) underestimated the impact of his HIV diagnosis on his ability to care for his daughter safely.Ē It is my assertion that the judge underestimated (name redacted's) understanding of his condition and (name redacted's) attorney didnít effectively communicate that understanding.

The virus is currently undetectable and his CD4 count is rising significantly.  My son is seeking to modify the courtís decision so he can return to being a regular, meaningful part of his daughterís life.  We are seeking someone to educate the court about the real risk of exposure based on scientific data available. In the year since the divorce (name redacted) has worked closely with a forensic psychologist to determine his mental capacity and ability to parent. He regularly attends HIV counseling and a support group, and done everything conceivable to prove he is fit to parent and that his HIV status would not pose a significant threat to his daughter.

We are seeking a date to modify the courtís decision about contact with (name redacted) and are hoping to have an expert to either present information to educate the court directly or to give a deposition to present the court with all the pertinent and factual information about the risk of transmission of virus to his young daughter. (Name redacted) is also representing himself in the case to modify the courts order so if there are any Attorneys out there who can practice in the state of Missouri we would love to hear from you.

I thank you in advance for your consideration and any assistance you may be able to offer.

Sincerely,

Veronica (middle initial and last name redacted)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:45:20 PM by Ptrk3 »

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Seeking Expert for my son
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:57:49 PM »
Veronica:  I redacted all the name identifiers from your heartfelt post in order to protect your identity and the identity of those involved.  I have done this for your own privacy, the privacy of your son, the privacy of your former daughter-in-law, and the privacy of your granddaughter. 

These forums are completely open to the public and you can never be sure who reads them and of any negative consequences that you or your loved ones may endure since once your information is disclosed, it can never be "taken back" and I don't want you to regret your actions at a time when you may be emotionally upset.

That said, once you have posted three times on these forums, you can send and receive personal messages, in which you are free to disclose whatever identifiers you may wish.

I can't address your specific request (I simply don't know), but perhaps one or more of our forum members can.

You may also wish to check with any HIV/AIDS advocacy groups in your area.

Here are a couple of links that may be of use to you:

http://asfkc.org/aids-service-organizations/

http://www.lsem.org/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:15:57 PM by Ptrk3 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline harleymc

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:41:41 AM »
Try the HIV (local or state) organisations, or a community law centre, at the very least they should be able to refer you to a decent lawyer. I'm sure there would be some who'd take on the case pro bono for you.
Even a half baked lawyer should be able to make the case that your son is highly aware of the need to treat HIV and has been highly responsible in adherence to medication. As to what the original decision was about safety, was about, the lawyer would best know how to deal with it.
The lawyer will best know whether or not they need to call an expert witness.

Offline Veronica

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 10:56:29 PM »
I cannot thank you enough for all the invaluable information and especially for protecting our privacy! I just have not been thinking clearly lately and my son informed me of my error when we spoke today. I just finished clearing out the nursing home my father was in, because he passed away this morning.
My gratitude cannot be expressed in words; thank you seems to fall flat!
In all sincerity,
Veronica

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 11:20:44 PM »
You are most welcome and, in regard to your privacy, I happened to be online at the time and immediately redacted all personal information--so don't worry about anything in that regard (I don't even remember the information)!  No one saw it.

If you post one more time, people will be able to communicate with you through PM's (Personal Messages), so you can further assure your privacy.

I wish you and your family a peaceful resolution to a difficult conflict. 

I also wish your son support as he deals with his HIV status.  Let him know he is always welcome here for guidance and enlightenment.

Best wishes to you all, especially your darling granddaughter!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 11:24:57 PM »
I'm also sorry to read about the loss of your father.  You are a great daughter, mother, and grandmother.

You are also always welcome here for your own continuing support, guidance, and enlightenment.

I wish you peace of mind through turbulent days and assure you that things do and will get better:  know that always.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts are with you.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.