Bienvenido(a), Visitante. Por favor, ingresa o regístrate.
Agosto 23, 2017, 05:30:20 pm

Ingresar con nombre de usuario, contraseña y duración de la sesión

Usuarios
  • Total de Usuarios: 31297
  • Latest: ajtylor
Stats
  • Total de Mensajes: 717888
  • Total de Temas: 58009
  • Online Today: 364
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (Agosto 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Usuarios en Línea
Users: 0
Guests: 271
Total: 271

Bienvenido

Bienvenido a los Foros Comunitarios de POZ, un área de discusión contínua para personas con VIH/SIDA, sus amigos/familiares/personas que los cuidan, y otros a quienes les interese el tema del VIH/SIDA. Haz clic en los enlaces que siguen para visitar nuestros foros, o participa de la conversación al inscribirte en el sector izquierdo de esta página.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here(Members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí(Sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Advertencia sobre la privacidad: Ten en cuenta que estos foros están abiertos para todos y que se los puede encontrar haciendo búsquedas en Google u otros buscadores. Si eres VIH positivo y lo revelas en nuestros foros, es lo mismo que decírselo al mundo entero (o al menos al mundo entero en Internet). Si esto te preocupa, no uses un nombre de usuario o una imagen gráfica que pueda identificarte de alguna manera. No autorizamos borrar nada de los que escribas en los foros, por lo tanto piensa antes de hacerlo.

• La información que los moderadores y miembros comparten en estos foros, está diseñada para complementar, y no para reemplazar la relación entre un individuo y su médico de cabecera.

• Todos los miembros de estos foros, en consecuencia, no son considerados proveedores médicos con licencia. De lo contrario, los usuarios deben identificarse a sí mismos como tales.

• Los miembros de los foros siempre deben comportarse con respeto y honestidad. La publicación de guías, incluyendo políticas de suspensiones y prohibiciones han sido establecidas por los moderadores de estos foros. Haga clic aquí para las guías de publicación de “¿Estoy infectado?” Haga clic aquí para leer las guías de publicación relacionadas con todos los otros foros comunitarios de POZ/AIDSmeds.

• Solicitamos a todos los miembros de los foros que proporcionen referencias sobre la información relacionada con la salud/médica/científica que brinden, cuando no se trate de una experiencia personal que estén compartiendo. Por favor proporcionen enlaces con direcciones de Internet completas o citas completas de trabajos publicados que no estén disponibles en Internet. Además, todos los miembros de los foros deben publicar información que sea verdadera y correcta de acuerdo con su conocimiento.

• Los anuncios de productos – incluyendo enlaces, banderas, contenido editorial y estudios clínicos, estudios o participación en encuestas – está estrictamente prohibido por los miembros de los foros a menos que POZ/AIDSmeds haya asegurado el permiso.

¿Has terminado de leer esta parte? Puedes cerrar esta o cualquier otra ventana en esta página haciendo click en el símbolo de cada ventana.

Autor Tema: HIV+professionals been denied life insurance???  (Leído 546 veces)

Desconectado Gabacholoco313

HIV+professionals been denied life insurance???
« en: Marzo 09, 2017, 08:35:55 pm »
 I'm two months into my new job, I love my job, and I have no complaints about my station in life. I have been positive for 3 1/2 years. I've busted my ass over the last two years to come up out of the trap and make something of myself. I'm finally in a position where I'm earning management level money and I'm only 26 years old. However, today my company's life insurance representative from liberty mutual came by. I almost got laughed out of the room when they found out I was HIV-positive. Those motherfuckers told me that not only would they not insure me, but that every major insurance company would not insure me.  I have been informed by another positive friend that there are companies out there that will ensure us, but I'm furious about the discrimination. President Obama made huge strides with healthcare, and now health insurance companies cannot discriminate against pre-existing conditions. I have no idea why that same set of rules does not apply to life insurance companies, and I want to take them on. I'm looking for individuals who have also been denied, and would like to start a class action lawsuit against some of the largest insurance companies in the United States. This is absolute bullshit. With science being what it is today regarding HIV, professionals living with the disease can have completely normal lives and possibly outlive normal individuals.  This is honestly the first time in 3 1/2 years I have felt worse than the day that I was diagnosed. It was like I was stabbed in the stomach with a rusty knife. I don't care what it takes, I don't care what it costs, I want the insurance industry to pay for their discrimination. Please let me know if you're out there and you are interested.  It's not about the money for me. I know I can bust my ass over the course of my life and make enough to provide for my family, if I ever have one. It's the fact that other individuals in our situation will be fucked over and have no power to do anything about it. I would rather stand up and fight for our rights versus sitting idly by and just swallowing this insult.  I grew up the son of an attorney, and I know horse shit when I hear it. This is horseshit. We're on the brink of cures for our disease, but yet the insurance industry can deny us the same privileges normal people take for granted.

Desconectado bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: HIV+professionals been denied life insurance???
« Respuesta #1 en: Marzo 19, 2017, 10:37:22 am »
Something doesn't "smell right" here.....  You're one and only post here is to try and recruit people for a class action lawsuit?!?

first - I've worked for many companies over my lifetime and I have never met with any of the companies providing life insurance as a benefit.  I've always signed up for it via HR.  Why would you have sat down with an insurance representative and why would they have "found out" you are HIV+?

Second - if you sign up for company provided life insurance when you initially get hired, you generally get it without any physical or medical questions (at least up to a certain $$ amount).  It is only if you try to add this benefit AFTER initial benefits enrollment (or want to go above some $$$ threshold - which has always been fairly high in my experience) that you need to answer questions on health and/or have a physical.

Finally -- This is not unique to HIV+ individuals.  There are many medical conditions for which you will be denied life insurance.  Granted, I DO think that a blanket denial for being HIV+ is outdated and should be looked at anew - given the success of today's medicines.  Having said that - on what grounds do you plan to sue them?  You can't conflate health insurance and life insurance - they are different things entirely.  By your logic - people could simply sit back, wait until they get a terminal disease and then buy life insurance.  This would avoid anyone ever having to worry about paying for years and years -- which is how life insurance is able to pay death benefits - from the premiums of the living (not from YOUR premiums).

Anyway -- as I said, I agree that Life Insurers shouldn't be so quick to deny an HIV+ person, but I don't see you successfully suing to change this.
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2015 969/28% <20

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.