Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:09:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 625
Total: 627

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unclear positive  (Read 2279 times)

Offline falsopositiveworried

• Standard
Unclear positive
« on: November 20, 2017, 10:24:44 am »
Hi,

I am a gay man with a very active sexual live. I am mostly bottom. I use condoms consistently and during the intercourse I check that the condon is in place, and when finish, I check the condon is not broken when he takes it off. I have unprotected oral sex and I even receive cum in mouth and sometimes I swallow.

This morning I went to a gay community health center to take the usual test (which I do every six months) for hiv and syphilis. They use the usual reactive strips where a drop of blood is put on the strip and you wait for a few minutes.

To my surprise and horror, the guy said that a faint line was showing. I got very nervous and he repeated the test and the same faint line appeared. The guy said he was unsure and sent me immediately to take a Western Blot test. He says those strips are very thin and sensitive and talked about a false positive.

He also said a possible reason for a false positive was that I might have been in touch with the virus and had neutralize it, and therefore some antibodies were present.

I am in panic right now and have to wait til Thursday for the final result. I am beginning to convince myself that I am positive and how that is gonna change my life. Besides, a few weeks ago a had a skin rush and fever one night. The rush disappeared after a couple of days. That reassures me it has something to do with hiv.

I know false positives (or false reactives, as you call it) exist, but they are very very rare, so I don't think I'll be lucky to be one of them. I am feeling a lot of rage because I always have condoms with me and use them consistently.

Can you tell me about your experience with false positives?

Sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue.

Thanks!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Unclear positive
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 10:35:56 am »
He also said a possible reason for a false positive was that I might have been in touch with the virus and had neutralize it, and therefore some antibodies were present.

This part is just nonsense.

Anyhow look a reactive result means nothing more than that, reactive.
False reactive results happen all the time, and we see it here plenty, now I understand its stressful but the tests are sensitive by design and sometimes antibodies in reaction to other infections or post infections can stick to the solution on the dipstick causing false reactive.

If used correctly all they do post the window period is confirm a negative status and any reactive result is not a diagnosis it just means more accurate testing is needed to confirmed your status.

The followup testing protocol will confirm your status and again don't stress because we do see false reactive results here. Testing should begin with a combination immunoassay that detects HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibodies and HIV-1 p24 antigen. commonly called a 4th gen test, all specimens reactive on this initial assay undergo supplemental testing with an immunoassay that differentiates HIV-1 from HIV-2 antibodies. Specimens that are reactive on the initial immunoassay and nonreactive or indeterminate on the antibody differentiation assay would then be tested with HIV-1 nucleic acid testing to determine the presence of HIV infection.

Look take care when retesting but keep in mind no need to panic, the test you took is designed to be hyper sensitive and false reactive happen all the time. It just means retesting or further testing is needed at the correct time.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:43:15 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:26:36 am »
You say "...don't stress because we do see false reactive results here". Do you mean that you see a false reactive result in my specific case?

Could the faint line mean it is a false reactive? Or maybe the fact that I have not reported unprotected anal sex? My concern is whether at any time the condom broke and I was not aware of it. I do not take drugs, so I am always careful about condons and never loose control of myself. I am also starting to think that the unprotected oral sex could lead to hiv infection, or maybe fingering if there were wounds on the fingers...

I forgot to mention that I used to have an undetectable VIH+ boyfriend, though we broke 3 months ago. He was undetectable (he has been consistently undetectable for four years) because I saw his analytics with my own eyes, he takes his medication consistently and we went together to his doctor and he saw no problem in having unprotected sex. We had unprotected sex for two years in a monogamous relationship and I always turned out negative.

Thanks for your help

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:33:51 am »
I presume, because of the entire context of his response, that Jim meant see "false reactive tests here" as "here" on this forum.

As he advised, a "reactive" test simply means follow-up testing is needed.

A number of folks on this forum have had positive reactive tests, presume that they have contracted the HIV, only to conclusively test negative for HIV antibodies with further testing.

Jim (and I) are attempting to convey to you that you should not presume anything--get follow-up testing and work with your healthcare provided to conclusively determine your HIV status.

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 11:37:54 am »
Try to relax, as a whole we see reactive results here on this forum and in my life all the time even from people who have risks like unprotected intercourse such as yourself and they go on to confirm a negative status. As Patrick said keep working with your doctor and test, that is the only way to know.

Fingering is not a risk, there has never been a case it lacks all the requirements for transmission.

Focus on living your life as normal, get the results and if needed the doctor will advice you if further testing is than needed.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:42:32 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 04:09:48 pm »
Do you expect a false positive, based on your experience?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 04:23:27 pm »
Most of the people posting initial reactive results here are in fact negative, test to find out. Its the only way of knowing, I've watched you read about a dozen such threads here and in the Spanish section, being nosy is part of my job and I hope the threads were reassuring.  ;)

Giving oral is such a near negligible risk we don't even recommend testing over it, to start with the human mouth lacks the cells for HIV to infect so there is no route unless the mouth is damaged and even than the environment in the mouth is hostile, still do test at least yearly if not more frequent if possible but its not reason to panic. 

If your test are negative than what you do need to know is unprotected intercourse is a very real and primary transmission route in adults, it meet all the conditions needed biologically for transmission. Agreeing to unprotected intercourse is basically agreeing to a higher risk of STI's and a HIV risk.

Now as for your ex-bf's VL or UD status, I can't guarantee he is truly undetectable even if you know his VL or read a report on it, as it's just a snapshot
moment from the past. I have no way of knowing if he is continuing to be adherent to his meds, neither can you.

See I know truly that I am as example UD and adherent to my meds and it gives me like many others additional reassurance, I can vouch for my behavior and trust towards my partner,  but I can't vouch for anyone else and we see people go off meds or being flaky with adherence all the time not only here but also in studies and clinical follow-ups.  So as a negative person relying on UD status to remain UD status as only protection is a big leap of trust/faith in your partner and up to your own risk acceptance level, its not something i would recommend a HIV negative person to go out and do without serious thoughts.

To be honest if you turn out to be negative you should consider safer sex options going forward with everyone no matter what the status, condoms is a good place to start. HIV can not transmit through an intact condom. PrEP is also an option you may want to consider depending on your situation as it does not offer any protection against other STI'S or pregnancy as example.

Now as educational piece only, if your ex-BF's claims to be on treatment (TaSP - Treatment as prevention) and undetectable for more than 6 months well that would be good as TaSP is pretty excellent when it comes down to reducing HIV transmission risks.

I wish you all the best with retesting and no offence but if I do not see you again ill take it as good news.

Jim

For your information/education only:
Treatment-as-prevention (TasP) this is use of antiretroviral (ARV) medication to decrease the risk of HIV transmission. Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP)
HIV TasP

This has been studied at length and to mention 1 of the studies as an example the "Partner" study is a major study looking at the chances of transmitting HIV with an undetectable viral load, there have been no transmissions between either gay or heterosexual serodiscordant partners.

Partner study
transmission-zero

More recent: Zero, No Linked HIV Transmissions in PARTNER Study After Couples Had Sex 58,000 Times Without Condoms: Click here for more information

Finally the consensus statement http://www.preventionaccess.org/consensus

People living with HIV on ART with an undetectable viral load in their blood have a negligible risk of sexual transmission of HIV.  Depending on the drugs employed it may take as long as six months for the viral load to become undetectable. Continued and reliable HIV suppression requires selection of appropriate agents and excellent adherence to treatment. HIV viral suppression should be monitored to assure both personal health and public health benefits.

NOTE:   An undetectable HIV viral load only prevents HIV transmission to sexual partners. Condoms also help prevent HIV transmission as well as other STIs and pregnancy. The choice of HIV prevention method may be different depending upon a person’s sexual practices, circumstances and relationships. For instance, if someone is having sex with multiple partners or in a non-monogamous relationship, they might consider using condoms to prevent other STIs.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.