Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:01:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 408
Total: 410

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Drug Free Remission of AIDS in Monkeys  (Read 5615 times)

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
Drug Free Remission of AIDS in Monkeys
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:25:04 am »
http://hiv-reservoir.net/index.php/the-news/430-drug-free-remission-of-aids-in-monkeys.html  "This is the most exciting finding in my entire life," said Dr. Andrea Savorino.

I haven't been following this line of research, nor have I read the article in Retrovirology, from which the study comes from. Nonetheless, I desperately needed some "good" news and this came to my in-box this AM. My guess as to the mechanisms involved here, is that the two additional agents added to the ART regimen, reawakened infected memory cells which in turn were destroyed by either host factors or interactions with HAART. If anyone has access to the original article I would love to see it.

"However, another important step in this direction, that is the development of a scalable strategy able to induce a drug-free remission of AIDS in monkeys, is finally in the pipeline, researchers report in Retrovirology, one lead scientific journal in the field.

Apart from rare cases of drug-free remission obtained treating very early with regular antiretroviral therapies, a cure for AIDS has been so far obtained only in Mr. Timothy Brown, i.e. the "Berlin patient", and, possibly, in two other recently reported cases in Boston. In all these patients, who also suffered from hematological malignancies, invasive and life-threatening techniques have been applied to remove the blood cells (including those harboring the virus) and replace them with new virus-free and cancer-free cells. Therefore, novel strategies are needed that be both safe and scalable to the 33 million people living with HIV/AIDS worldwide.

Now, by adding to antiretroviral therapy two existing drugs, i.e. the gold salt auranofin and the chemosensitizing agent buthionine sulfoximine (BSO), an Italian and American research team, led by Dr. Andrea Savarino at the Italian NIH (www.iss.it), observed, after therapy suspension, a drug-free remission of the disease in the macaque AIDS model (i.e. the animal model most closely resembling human AIDS).

The drug combination safely and gradually replaced the "diseased" white blood cells with fresh and efficient cells, although, at first, it did not prevent the initial viral rebound after therapy suspension. "However", says Dr. Andrea Savarino, "during the subsequent follow up of the macaques, the new immune cells fought back the virus, rescuing the macaques to healthy conditions reminiscent of a drug-free remission of AIDS". "It's been the most exciting finding in my entire life", he concludes. “It turns out that a specific branch of the immune system is boosted by the addition of BSO to the drug cocktail, possibly mimicking an auto-vaccination against the virus”, adds Iart Luca Shytaj, a collaborator of Dr. Savarino and first author of the article published in Retrovirology."
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline freewillie99

Re: Drug Free Remission of AIDS in Monkeys
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 04:20:21 pm »
Very interesting.  Dr. Savarino is one of the pioneers of reservoir clearance strategies and I believe this study is in collaboration with Duke University.  Any idea how well macaque studies translate into results in humans?   
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline Mishma

• Marquis de Vauban
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 04:31:59 pm »
Unfortunately, Chimps remain the best model but they are now an endangered species.

I pulled an current abstract which highlights elements of the innate immune response (our first line of defense which includes physical barriers, pattern and damage recognition receptors)  which are problematic in using this as a model system. I would refer you to the numerous abstracts, links and reviews I posted in the Research Forum under the title Innate Immune Responses for further background info).  Too much to regurgitate here. Regardless, I've been asserting for years that within this system lies our salvation.

http://www.frontiersin.org/Virology/10.3389/fmicb.2013.00176/abstract

Macaques as model hosts for studies of HIV-1 infection
Anisha Misra, Rajesh Thippeshappa and Jason T. Kimata*
Department of Molecular Virology and Microbiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA

Increasing evidence indicates that the host range of primate lentiviruses is in part determined by their ability to counteract innate restriction factors that are effectors of the type 1 interferon (IFN-1) response. For human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1), in vitro experiments have shown that its tropism may be narrow and limited to humans and chimpanzees because its replication in other non-human primate species is hindered by factors such as TRIM5α (tripartite motif 5 alpha), APOBEC3G (apolipoprotein B mRNA-editing, enzyme-catalytic, polypeptide-like 3), and tetherin. Based on these data, it has been hypothesized that primate lentiviruses will infect and replicate in a new species if they are able to counteract and evade suppression by the IFN-1 response. Several studies have tested whether engineering HIV-1 recombinants with minimal amounts of simian immunodeficiency virus sequences would enable replication in CD4+ T cells of non-natural hosts such as Asian macaques and proposed that infection of these macaque species could be used to study transmission and pathogenesis. Indeed, infection of macaques with these viruses revealed that Vif-mediated counteraction of APOBEC3G function is central to cross-species tropism but that other IFN-induced factors may also play important roles in controlling replication. Further studies of these macaque models of infection with HIV-1 derivatives could provide valuable insights into the interaction of lentiviruses and the innate immune response and how lentiviruses adapt and cause disease.
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline Skydrake

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 06:12:11 pm »

It's the continuation of this study:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=43938.0

Offline Mishma

• Marquis de Vauban
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:44:22 pm »
With the notable exception of adding the chemosensitizing agent buthione sulfoximine (interferes with glutathione processes) to HAART in addition to Auranofin.

Offline geobee

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 01:26:45 pm »
Here's a little more info on the study -- found this surfing the web this AM --

http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/211/PostId/4010544/a-long-term-cure-for-hiv-in-the-offing-260713.aspx

His conclusions are notable --

"Our most important result so far has been the achievement of a functional cure (see point 1) in macaques. We achieved this result by using a combination of antiretroviral therapy (the standard baseline therapy for HIV infected patients) and two experimental drugs: auranofin and buthionine sulfoximine.

Our drug combination is administered only once and only for three months. After these three months the therapy is stopped and the macaques are able to control the virus independently without showing signs of disease progression.

The main advantage of our therapy over the current situation is that it spans for three months instead of the whole life of the patient. This may allow to provide a globally scalable curing strategy."

Offline Mishma

• Marquis de Vauban
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 01:54:20 pm »
Thanks for the link. I know the ramifications are potentially huge but after close to 30 years + I've all but given up hope for myself-given my age and number of co-morbidity's. But hope dies last.

I'm anxiously awaiting the clinical trials, which according to what I've read might begin next year, especially since these drugs have been around for some time. All the more reason to pay attention at the next CROI meeting where I believe the announcement will be made.

For me, and I'm sure others, HIV has already seeded our brains; will this functional cure also handle HAND and other CNS/PNS disorders. The HIV in my system has been under control since shortly after going on HAART (95/96?).   

Offline Tadeys

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 09:27:42 am »
Mishma: perhaps Stem Cell therapies will retore our health to normal conditions post-cure.  ;)

Offline 1in1000000

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 11:11:03 am »
Such news are the best antidepressants.  :D
They turn on the light in the end of the tunnel.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:14:59 am by 1in1000000 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.