Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:48:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 312
Total: 312

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How do you creatively self-express yourself ?  (Read 4233 times)

Offline AsOne

How do you creatively self-express yourself ?
« on: December 22, 2006, 10:06:43 pm »
Just curious ...
There's so many fascinating people here at this forum.
What creative outlets do you utilize to self- express yourself ?
... blogging ? music ? internet vlogs? Creative Commons ?

Please respond below. (Give links + a quickie description, if one is available ).

This is just my way of networking and getting to know other creative contacts here, ok ...  :)

( I blog ).

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 10:03:34 am by AsOne »

Offline Eldon

Re: How do you self-express yourself ?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 10:47:38 pm »
Yes, I AM Supporting You

Hello AsOne...

It is GOOD to hear from YOU. It is also GOOD that you brought this very topic up. It is some GOOD discussion here. Please DO read on as I share this with you. OK.

QUESTION: How do you self-express yourself?

ANSWER:

One form of self-expression is by being assertive, not aggressive. This means to stand up for yourself.

It is learning to put you first - learning to express your feelings and opinions. It is learning to say "no". being assertive is making a statement about HOW you FEEL about a subject or a situation.

By being assertive, you stand less of a chance of being victimized, manipulated or made to feel guilty and used. YOU have a VOICE and you have every right to have your VOICE heard. With this in mind, it also ties into when it is election time in the nation. When we vote, it is our VOICE that is being heard. We express who we FEEL would be the ideal candidate that has been placed on the ballot. This is one form of expression.

Some FEEL by being assertive, people will see them as selfish, unkind and inconsiderate. People who suffer from chronic anxiety are so concerned about keeping the approval of others that often they will go out of their way not to be assertive. They are afraid of disapproval, which would bring self-hate.

Being assertive is healthy. Being abused and used is unhealthy. If you experience both, you will find the first to be much more emotionally satisfying.

People who suffer from this condition are often taken advantage of by others. You are so easily hurt and made to feel guilty that others use this to get what they want from you. In other words, they know what buttons to push to get you to make you FEEL bad. if they push those buttons hard enough, they will get the reaction they are looking for.

You must learn to turn those buttons off. You must learn to recognize your weaknesses and learn HOW to overcome them. When you DO, it makes you even stronger as a person.

IF, people take advantage of you, then it is because you allow them to. You must learn HOW to stop them.

This is not being selfish in no way shape or form. It is simply taking care of yourself. In the long run, your attitude will be better, you will FEEL better about yourself and you will be there for someone when you want to be - not out of guilty feelings.

OVERCOMING a lack of assertiveness will improve your life and will help build better relationships.

Being assertive means you VALUE yourself as a person. It means your time and your emotional comfort are important to you. It means you RESPECT yourself enough to fight for yourself. If you don't then who else will?

In summary, there are many different ways in order for you to express yourself. I could list them however, you already know you better than I do. IF Anger is involved, you will want to take a step back, Breath, Accept, Relate, then express what you are feeling inside of you.

A few tips would be to TAP into your creative energies that exist within you. When you do, you will be amazed at the number of forms of self-expression that exists within you. When this realization takes place, you will know exactly what to do.

Thank you for sharing.

Enjoy your Holiday Season.

"Don't You Dare Give Up, Don't You Dare Give In... Cause it is ALL within you to WIN!"

PS to Edit: You modified your message as I was typing this one. YES, your creativity has everything to do with it. Art, Music, Poetry, Writting are good examples of doing so. When being creative you want to be original and have it come from within you. Take some time out to sit down and reflect on some ideas that come to you. SEEK the answers and they will come to you from deep within.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:56:46 pm by Eldon »

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
Re: How do you creatively self-express yourself ?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 08:39:20 am »
I have been into photography since high school, I have my Nikon from the 70's and a 50's Leica. But can't afford it anymore- guess I need to go digital. This year I decided I want to try writing a treatment for a tv show. I have a great idea and great backdrop on a story. it will be an alternative to Will and Grace.

If anyone lives in NYC - you can go to the MOMA free Friday nights and has anyone checked out the Goethe Centre?
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 09:02:03 am »
Hey Nova Scotia! Ontario here. ;)

Interesting topic. Digital photography for one thing.

Amateur songwriting for another.

Here's a simple YouTube video version of a Christmas song I wrote 20 years ago that I performed at the National Arts Centre last December as part of a fund raiser show for the Ottawa food bank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ab_Vc2MT4

Happy Holidays, AsOne.  ;D

Daniel

MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 09:56:01 am »
Lately, to be honest, I've been attempting to do so here a bit.  Other than that, I've done a great deal of theatre and some film (no, you pervs...not those kinds of movies...LOL) I also have a possibly dorky but fun hobby of arranging music compilations to make narratives on themes.  Kind of like concept albums created by the editing and arranging of others' songs.  I also sing a fair amount.  Believe it or not, this heathen frequently gets called upon to sing gospel songs.  What can I say?  I'm somewhat in love with 'mountain music'...old time gospel and bluegrass, traditionals & such.  Doubtless, many in the listening audience would be less than won over if they were aware of my penchant for penis. The subject just doesn't really present itself in those circles vey often (at least, not in these particular circles).
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 03:00:22 pm »
Lately, to be honest, I've been attempting to do so here a bit.  Other than that, I've done a great deal of theatre and some film (no, you pervs...not those kinds of movies...LOL) I
Hey TH weren't you Anal Rubbing And Some Vigorous Frottage part II?
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline AsOne

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 06:46:45 pm »
Um ... getting back on topic ...

How do you creatively self-express yourself ?  :)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 08:24:33 pm »
I write. 

And I do this.  With real film and everything.  Old school.

Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.