Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:41:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 802
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 683
Total: 683

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just tested positive... Here's my horror story  (Read 5757 times)

Offline Nathionk

Just tested positive... Here's my horror story
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:10:27 am »
For about two weeks I had what I thought was the flu. It sucked but I knew I would be fine. It eventually went away for the most part after going to the hospital, and getting antibiotics for "walking pneumonia". A few days after I thought I was fine finally, I got sick again. I had all the sudden gotten sick to the point that I couldn't eat, lost 25 pounds in two weeks, couldn't even go to the bathroom. After being dragged to the hospital by a concerned mother, they said it was walking pneumonia again and sent me away with more medicine, except I asked them for an HIV test because I had my suspicions. They didn't give me my rapid test results that day. They gave them when I came back the next day unable to walk or even speak. It came back positive, so they admitted me to the hospital. Turns out I had HIV, CMV, CMV retinitis, and transverse myelitis. After spending two weeks in the hospital on steroids and about every other medication they could find, they said my viral load was 670,000 and my cd4 was 135. Had to learn how to walk again and spent two weeks in a wheelchair. So my question is, is it normal to have a cd4 of less than 200 when you only got infected 5-6 weeks prior (to your knowledge)?
Diagnosed 11/2015
11/2015 - CD4 135 VL 670,000
01/2016 - CD4 900 VL 190
05/2016 - CD4 720 VL UD

Offline zach

Re: Just tested positive... Here's my horror story
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:31:29 am »
you've been infected for longer than 6 weeks. exactly how long, doesn't really matter. how and when you were infected, doesn't really matter.

what matters, is how you move forward.

sorry about your diagnosis. gah, transverse myelitis, fuck that man... how'd the steroids handle that? i've dealt with it for two years now, i can walk but i can't run a single step.

this is a good group nathion, i encourage you to learn as much as you can here. all the buttons at the top lead to lessons, searching the archives is years of collective knowledge. ask any questions you're unsure on, vent anything you need.

welcome to the boards.

Offline Nathionk

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:40:00 am »
The steroids helped so much with it. Not sure the specifics on how but I got 5 iv bags full of it over the course of 2 weeks. It helped me move from a wheel chair to a walker to walking in about a week and a half. I started running again a little bit after but it sucked horribly, partly from just being out of shape. Thank you :)
Diagnosed 11/2015
11/2015 - CD4 135 VL 670,000
01/2016 - CD4 900 VL 190
05/2016 - CD4 720 VL UD

Offline hiv_rizzy

• Male. 28. Positive
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:41:46 am »
Sorry to hear about your recent hiv +discovery. Keep strong and take all the meds you need to so you can get back on track. The only thing that matters now it looking towards the future
Discovery! April 26, 2016
- Positive test confirmed by blood test
-Viral load and CD4 unknown
-May 31st update - big delay at gov hosp lab
#July 9th late Results: CD4 16/ VL 13, 027
*Prescribed Atripla combo with Bactrim
#September CD4 97 / VL UD
February CD4 137 / VL UD

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 03:23:21 pm »
is it normal to have a cd4 of less than 200 when you only got infected 5-6 weeks prior (to your knowledge)?

No, not normal. Not impossible I suppose, but quite unlikely. It is most likely a longer standing infection.

Feel sorry for you though - seems like you have been through quite a bit. CMV retinitis is also not ultra common until the cd4 count goes a little lower, so you have certainly been dealt a rough hand.

The up-side is that you now know, are on treatment and things will continue getting better from this point. Good job you asked for that test now!

Take care
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline virgo313

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 07:22:08 pm »
Hi Nathionk

Sorry to hear your conditions. Although, i am not sure what some of the medical terms means, i understand the part going to hospital. i spend 2 months visiting one every few days last year.

Like Zach said, not to worry when you got infected, that does not mater anymore. Once you starts your meds, you will feel stronger & you will have appetite to feel wanting to eat. Weight comes back quickly. i gain back 5-6kg withing  2 months after taking meds. Thanks
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline Alternis

• Da Robur, Fer Auxilium
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 12:27:58 am »
Sorry to hear about that Nathionk.

I lost a friend last year because of untreated CMV. We both are a biggie and when he's started losing weight, I was like full of envy and he's so happy he's now as slim as a model. Little did we know that he's dealing with life-threatening virus.

A year later and I found out that I, too, are a poz. This is where I knew that it's wrong to celebrate my friend's slim figure back then. If only we are educated enough in this subject.

As a fellow new member, I just wanna say, welcome to this forum. This has been my escapade whenever I feel the need to rant ^^

Hopefully you'll come back stronger and healthier!
Big Hugs

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.