Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 363
Total: 364

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Nutrition, Wumpette Style  (Read 1623901 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Nutrition, Wumpette Style
« Reply #3400 on: September 06, 2013, 10:50:38 am »
While not "mere blocks away" there is a Whole Foods ten blocks away and I can't even recall the last time I went. I have too many better options.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3401 on: September 06, 2013, 11:30:13 am »
This is true. But here you can only find the good fruits at Whole Foods or Central Market. The fruits in the "regular" stores are at best mediocre. I'm willing to pay 2.99 a pound for some decent oranges, it's a guilty pleasure for me  :)

Im going to go more often to this store thats for sure. I used to go there all the time when I was in a couple thus "two salaries no kids".

The thing is, the produce quality is going down in the middle road two big chains in Switzerland.  Over just a few years its become considerably more pan-european and thus industrial, with the veges sourced wherever they are the cheapest in Europe.  When I first moved here, there were no hard discounters in the grocery business and the mass supermarkets were still locally sourced...

There is some produce you can buy in the cheapest two stores - that are new German chain arrivals - Aldi and Lidl. Its hit or miss and furthermore a certain group of people (middle class and/or politically correct) are shamed not to go there because of the labor practices...  If I ever brought a product to work, for example, some judgmental colleague is going to make a shaming comment and there's some truth to it.  Those jobs are supposed to be the worst of the worst as far as shop work in this country, right now.

Anyone in the US following and or supporting the Fast Food living wage movement??
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3402 on: September 06, 2013, 11:57:35 am »
While not "mere blocks away" there is a Whole Foods ten blocks away and I can't even recall the last time I went. I have too many better options.

Whole Foods is the new Walmarts of grocery stores.  Actually there is a battle now because the mayor is in a fight trying to prevent any more whole foods from being built in the city since they are non union and don't pay their employees enough.

Central market is nice but there aren't any in the city you have to drive to the burbs.

The best place for quality (especially produce) are the co-ops.  The main one here is PCC Natural Markets.  They are always filled with local produce.  You have to buy a membership but their quality is beyond pale.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3403 on: September 06, 2013, 12:16:18 pm »
However, mere blocks away I have the Hung Vuong Supermarket where I can feast on spiked durian, sea cucumbers, pig snouts and live frogs. Walk a couple more blocks east and you can buy live poultry and rabbits.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3404 on: September 06, 2013, 02:41:32 pm »
mmm.... just scored a bottle of Brooklyn Brine Maple Bourbon pickles. God bless the North!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3405 on: September 06, 2013, 05:52:17 pm »
I propose a toast: to the memory of the great John Wilkes Booth, slayer of tyrants, martyr for liberty, avenger of the South! May his countrymen prove worthy of his heroic sacrifice.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3406 on: September 06, 2013, 05:59:38 pm »
 ;)
I propose a toast: to the memory of the great John Wilkes Booth, slayer of tyrants, martyr for liberty, avenger of the South! May his countrymen prove worthy of his heroic sacrifice.

You been drinking that bourbon pickle juice I see .  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3407 on: September 06, 2013, 07:27:04 pm »
;)
You been drinking that bourbon pickle juice I see .  ;)

She's clearly shit faced pickle drunk.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3408 on: September 06, 2013, 07:37:17 pm »
She's clearly shit faced pickle drunk.

oooooooo yeah... glad I can handle something more than a margarita made with sugary mix from Costco! but yes, if you don't have those ingredients a dash of artisanal pickle juice will do!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3409 on: September 06, 2013, 07:48:17 pm »
oooooooo yeah...

Whoa, That actually sounds pretty delish. I love Gin and Tonics and the idea of dipping some fresh cucumber in it sounds great...I'll withhold judgemet on the pickle juice part for now.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3410 on: September 06, 2013, 08:04:19 pm »
Whoa, That actually sounds pretty delish. I love Gin and Tonics and the idea of dipping some fresh cucumber in it sounds great...I'll withhold judgemet on the pickle juice part for now.

Well then, why don't you run out for some supplies and set the DVR to record "Aerial America: Pennsylvania" on the Smithsonian Channel.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3411 on: September 07, 2013, 09:21:37 am »

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3412 on: September 07, 2013, 09:49:26 am »
Well then, why don't you run out for some supplies and set the DVR to record "Aerial America: Pennsylvania" on the Smithsonian Channel.

I caught a few minutes of this before I fell asleep. Looks like the Amish might need to relocate to survive.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3413 on: September 07, 2013, 09:59:16 am »
I caught a few minutes of this before I fell asleep. Looks like the Amish might need to relocate to survive.

Did you see the part where they flew over the two cheesesteak places? That's my hood!

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3414 on: September 07, 2013, 10:21:42 am »
Did you see the part where they flew over the two cheesesteak places? That's my hood!
no. I didn't start watching it until it was around half way through and I was beat so didn't even make it past the Amish story. Beautiful state from the little I saw. I have the second half recorded so if Philly was shown at the end I will see your hood.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3415 on: September 07, 2013, 10:23:49 am »
I'm reminded of a saying I read in a bathroom stall of a lakeside bar years ago.  "Always do sober what you promised to do while drunk, it'll teach you to keep your mouth shut".

I have a friend bringing several bushels of apples over this morning to be canned. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3416 on: September 07, 2013, 10:32:18 am »
I'm reminded of a saying I read in a bathroom stall of a lakeside bar years ago.  "Always do sober what you promised to do while drunk, it'll teach you to keep your mouth shut".

that's no fun. :)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3417 on: September 07, 2013, 01:40:07 pm »
o! o! I'm penciling this in for my next jaunt to Crooklyn. Artisanal pickles + craft beer + hipsters = shameless entertainment

ps: I have Dogfish Head cooling as we speak! PICKLE TIME!

Offline mecch

« Reply #3418 on: September 07, 2013, 02:32:19 pm »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3419 on: September 07, 2013, 02:36:27 pm »
Is that a pickled delicacy that you picked up in Saigon Town?

No, I obtained this at a shop in the Italian market. I see on their web site though that nationally they are carried at Whole Foods. I think they started out several years ago as a vendor at the weekly Brooklyn Flea.

Offline mecch

« Reply #3420 on: September 07, 2013, 02:41:07 pm »
I have a bottle of champagne chilling a new cheapo brand I never saw before but I'm not going to drink it and Im not going out tonight cause I have to write something for work.  I just cleaned house for 4 hours and cooked basic pasta while watching a three part BBC documentary on the history of Berlin.  Which was fascinating.

When I was focused on being rail thin in my mid 20's I kept many varieties of pickles in my fridge. Pickles pretty much suck here in Switzerland and being somewhat central Europe I would expect otherwise... I'm sure the USA has the best and maybe only gourmet pickles in the world. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3421 on: September 07, 2013, 02:46:38 pm »
Those little French common cornichons are OK, though definitely not as good as a small batch USA pickle. You need to locate where Jewish people procure their pickles.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3422 on: September 07, 2013, 05:04:47 pm »
Those little French common cornichons are OK, though definitely not as good as a small batch USA pickle. You need to locate where Jewish people procure their pickles.
Love pickles!
Especially sour garlic dills but pretty much the whole gamut. I've tried some Polish dills that were pretty awful. Too sweet (for a dill pickle) and the "dill" was almost imperceptible.
I have always wanted to go to that great pickle place in NYC that you have mentioned a few times. I suppose I could splurge and order from them online but I would rather have a taste first.

Offline mecch

« Reply #3423 on: September 07, 2013, 05:30:43 pm »
Guss' ?
I must be a zillion years old I remember New York when there were Jews and pickle barrels and fabric shops on Orchard Street and Italians in Little Italy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3424 on: September 07, 2013, 05:46:47 pm »
Well yeah, so do I. My first apartment was across the street from Lombardi's Pizza on Spring/Mott and my second was a block west of Orchard. The pickle places were right below Delancey, but Guss closed a few years ago and moved to Brooklyn.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2009/07/guss_pickles_will_leave_lower.html

You've obviously not been to the Lower East Side in the past decade. It's not just gentrified, but hyper-gentrified. I lived there in the early 90's. There were other pickle places though, all barrel-cured over on Essex Street. This one is still there:

http://nymag.com/listings/stores/pickle_guys/

Brooklyn Brine is in Park Slope: http://www.yelp.com/biz/brooklyn-brine-company-new-york

These are big at NYC farmer's markets and have gotten a bit of press, and they also make a bloody mary mix with pickle brine: https://rickspicks.com/

My next visit up there I will go and try these Clinton Hill Pickles because I heard they are amazing too, plus there's some ownership connection with the last people that ran Guss' -- NOT TO MENTION IT'S MERE BLOCKS AWAY FROM MY OLD BROOKLYN APARTMENT WHICH IS WHERE I STILL STAY WHEN I GO UP TO VISIT

(WIN++)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:07:01 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3425 on: September 07, 2013, 05:55:12 pm »

ps: I have Dogfish Head cooling as we speak!

Look I realize it's not Busch Light ::) but I present to you BLUE MOON with AGAVE NECTAR!!...but hurry it's seasonal only

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:22:45 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3426 on: September 10, 2013, 05:50:40 pm »
MissP is too modest to tell yall about her amazing lab results she got back today..

But in honor of that I hopped down to my local 5 Guys and partook in a Double Bacon Cheese Burger and cajun fries  8)

DONT PANIC PEOPLE I POPPED AN EXTRA STRENGTH FISH OIL BETWEEN BITES!

One of the good things about 5 Guys is that once you think you are out of fries you just look into your bag and there is a whole other order of strays waiting for you!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:52:54 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3427 on: September 10, 2013, 06:35:10 pm »
Last night was Halibut on the grill with hot homemade potato chips served with malt vinegar and fresh from the garden Brandywine tomatoes. Yum!!! :)

Tonight's dinner is mac and cheese.  >:(

Had a root canal today and my jaw is numb up to my eye socket even though it was a molar. Next week on Monday I get the permanent crown on another molar and Wednesday get stage 2 done on the root canal. Will this never end? Ugh!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3428 on: September 10, 2013, 06:40:36 pm »

Had a root canal today and my jaw is numb up to my eye socket even though it was a molar. Next week on Monday I get the permanent crown on another molar and Wednesday get stage 2 done on the root canal. Will this never end? Ugh!

sounds horrid

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3429 on: September 10, 2013, 06:44:19 pm »
sounds horrid

it is. she told me to take 3- 200mg of ibufrofen every 4-6 hours for 2 days regardless of the pain. I am now breaking out in hives and I just called her emergency number for an alterntative med. hope she calls soon!

Offline mecch

« Reply #3430 on: September 10, 2013, 06:56:00 pm »
sounds horrid

Was she referring to the root canal or the mac and cheese?   :P

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3431 on: September 10, 2013, 07:09:14 pm »
it is. she told me to take 3- 200mg of ibufrofen every 4-6 hours for 2 days regardless of the pain. I am now breaking out in hives and I just called her emergency number for an alterntative med. hope she calls soon!

Do they not give people real pain meds these days?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3432 on: September 10, 2013, 07:35:04 pm »

We're not junkies up north unlike in the Bible Belt (PRAISE!)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3433 on: September 10, 2013, 07:43:54 pm »

apparently not. she called and said the pain meds I would need are a controlled substance and couldn't be phoned in. she's going to call me first thing in the morning. I'm not in pain now, just itchy but wonder how the night will go without anything to take. took a Benadryl and it seems to be helping the itchies a bit. bummer not to have a backup med. guess I will have to hope for the best.

and mecch, the mac and cheese is pretty good as much as it can be. comfort food. :)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3434 on: September 10, 2013, 07:45:30 pm »
We're not junkies up north unlike in the Bible Belt (PRAISE!)

k

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3435 on: September 11, 2013, 04:54:39 am »
One of my clients just had a couple teeth pulled, and got a script of 30 Vicodin, with 2 refills.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3436 on: September 11, 2013, 09:43:33 pm »
Mere blocks away, folks -- just two blocks north of me Filthy's latest hipster bar Boot & Saddle will have nightly live music performances. Aimee Mann opened it up on Monday.

And in typical fashion, they kept the paint peeling on the vintage sign outside.

Offline ds4146

« Reply #3437 on: September 11, 2013, 10:04:13 pm »
Mere blocks away, folks -- just two blocks north of me

Looks like a lovely place to hold a reception for you and Cowboy Willy. You should take dances lessons and learn the two step, a lovely waltz and end it in a fabulous shadow dance. Boots might be an issue with your foot issue. Hit me up if you need some tunes for suggestions for the first and last dance :-*

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3438 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:23 am »
Mere blocks away, folks -- just two blocks north of me Filthy's latest hipster bar Boot & Saddle will have nightly live music performances. Aimee Mann opened it up on Monday.

And in typical fashion, they kept the paint peeling on the vintage sign outside.

lawlz  ::)

The world renowned Broken Spoke is where I grew up.

I can remember laying in my moms lap as a kid listening to Faron Young sing "Wine me up" live.

It's also at 17 where I meant my sons mother, I saw a pretty blonde in the back of a mustang with another guy and opened up the door and said "excuse me, you want a real man sweety?"... the rest is history.

Ps- any reception of mine will be held at Golden Corral on All You Can Eat Prime Rib night...only $11.99 . Just keepin it classy.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:58:47 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3439 on: September 12, 2013, 11:32:17 am »
It's also at 17 where I meant my sons mother, I saw a pretty blonde in the back of a mustang with another guy and opened up the door and said "excuse me, you want a real man sweety?"... the rest is history.

He kicked your ass for the insult and then she married you purely out of sympathy for how hard it must have been to be gay and that confused?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3440 on: September 12, 2013, 11:36:05 am »
This is not a country/western bar -- it is an indie rock venue (small, capacity 175)

My next hope is that someone snaps up this place and fixes it up

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:38:22 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3441 on: September 12, 2013, 12:04:37 pm »
Ps- any reception of mine will be held at Golden Corral on All You Can Eat Prime Rib night...only $11.99 . Just keepin it classy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXrL5syc_s

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3442 on: September 12, 2013, 06:48:45 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXrL5syc_s

DIS.GUST.ING.

btw, folks, tonight I will be having Chicken Taco Soup which has been simmering in the crock pot all day. My house smells orgasmic.

Ya jellz?

If you're good, maybe ill post a pic.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:50:53 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3443 on: September 12, 2013, 07:39:18 pm »

Ya jellz?

Nope, cuz I snagged some Awadhi lamb korma and naan bread from Tiffin Bistro (mere blocks away!)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3444 on: September 12, 2013, 07:59:33 pm »
Awadhi lamb korma and naan bread from Tiffin Bistro

WAT?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3445 on: September 12, 2013, 08:00:19 pm »
WAT?

No Indian food in Shit Antonio I presume?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3446 on: September 12, 2013, 08:03:50 pm »
No Indian food in Shit Antonio I presume?

Oh sure. But we just say "lamb on a stick" or "lamb sandwich".
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3447 on: September 12, 2013, 08:06:09 pm »
Oh sure. But we just say "lamb on a stick" or "lamb sandwich".
LMAO. :)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3448 on: September 12, 2013, 08:12:36 pm »
btw, I now have a gourmet hipster hot dog and craft beer place in an old auto body shop near me, and the best part is I can go play Skee Ball there!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3449 on: September 12, 2013, 08:15:50 pm »
btw, I now have a gourmet hipster hot dog and craft beer place in an old auto body shop near me,

OF COURSE YOU DO  ::)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.