Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:17:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 531
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 491
Total: 493

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: RE: Upcoming New York Gay Pride Gathering and a Meningitis Health Warning...  (Read 6104 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline tednlou2

When I posted a recent article about this, many seemed to think this was all hype and nothing out of the ordinary.  Some did not think the number of infections and deaths were alarming in the least.  So, I don't know what to make of it. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
When I posted a recent article about this, many seemed to think this was all hype and nothing out of the ordinary.  Some did not think the number of infections and deaths were alarming in the least.  So, I don't know what to make of it. 

No Ted, your thread argued if people outside of NYC needed to be vaccinated.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
They give these away here like therapy, but you have to get two shots separated by a few months. I assume one shot is better than none, but I have no idea how that actually works. Someone I know got his shots at, I think, Paddles, a sort of sex club type of place to which I have honestly never been, thank you very much, not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my thing, etc.

My point is that the doctors in this article are "sounding the alarm" a little late to be fully vaccinated by the end of June unless you've already gotten the first shot. You can stand beside me, though. I got vaccinated last winter at the health department when I found out I had the HIV.

At first they were targeting people who used party drugs or hooked up on apps and who lived in certain boroughs and neighborhoods. Then someone in the DOH realized that NYC has subways and that we don't self-segregate sex partners (much) into people who use Grindr and people who don't use Grindr (much), so they changed the recommendation to include all MSM.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline mikeyb39

I would be scared to live in New York, everything that happens seem to start there.  What's going on in this city? 
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline oksikoko

I would be scared to live in New York, everything that happens seem to start there.  What's going on in this city?

Nothing to be scared of, buddy. All the bad things seem to happen to other people. ;)
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)

Offline Miss Philicia

I would be scared to live in New York, everything that happens seem to start there.  What's going on in this city

You shouldn't look at it as just a city since the metropolitan area is almost equal to the population of Texas. Then consider how that population is squeezed into one smallish area. Then how their airport system is the second highest amount of passenger use in the world.

Tokyo, London... all the same issue. I don't think "more bad things" occur in NYC than those other two cities.

ps: are these warnings also issued to MSM that live in, for example, Hoboken, NJ? That's as close to Manhattan as living in Brooklyn.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:50:16 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Calison

• Struggling for 30 + years Ready for Next Big Leap!
 A Man from West Hollywood, Brett Shadd, Died from Meningitis in Los Angeles  2 weeks after attending the "White Party" in Palm Springs around April 15 2013 :o.
 No one can claim he caught the bug there, however, after that death we here were all warned and the clinics in Southern California all offered up Free Vaccinations for the deadly bug to anyone who wanted a vaccination.
They cite close quarters (dance floors etc)...

"where the bug can be spread through exchange of respiratory and throat secretions like Spit." :D
"It tends to spread where larger groups of people gather or live, like college dorms."

Healthy adults usually survive and often recover being infected and might not even seek treatment... but for the immune compromised like infants and elderly and... guess who ! It could be fatal.

A KISS on the HAND may be Quite Continental .... :-*!! (Sing Out Louise!)

There were also many thousands of men who attended the "White Party 2013" and did not become ill. Just Mr Shadd became ill and died and no one knows where he had been before or after the White Party... It was quite a warning round these parts. Any more Information Can be Googled. Have Fun and Be careful!  ;)
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ~ Oscar Wilde

Offline Miss Philicia

It's not unusual to meet someone at the White Party that just flew in from NYC for the event, then spend a couple of days with him snorting coke from a shared straw. Now is it?

I'm going to NYC in three weeks, but I don't intend to go to any gay clubs or bars. Should I request to be vaccinated by my doctor before I go? I also live in a city less than 2 hours drive from NYC, with a gay population that regularly goes up there on the weekends. Should I still be vaccinated?

Offline oksikoko

It's not unusual to meet someone at the White Party that just flew in from NYC for the event, then spend a couple of days with him snorting coke from a shared straw. Now is it?

I'm going to NYC in three weeks, but I don't intend to go to any gay clubs or bars. Should I request to be vaccinated by my doctor before I go? I also live in a city less than 2 hours drive from NYC, with a gay population that regularly goes up there on the weekends. Should I still be vaccinated?

Being gay is a blast. Yes, I recommend anyone get all their shots for everything before coming here for anything ever.

Offline aaware72

Hmm.  so if someone was to work at a place that see a large gay population coming into town from all over the world then it would be wise to get this vaccination? Might need to ask the doc about this...
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline Calison

8)
Being gay is a blast. Yes, I recommend anyone get all their shots for everything before coming here for anything ever.

8) Yes Bar Keep... Shots for all!.... er ...I mean Vaccinations please, dear Nurse Ratchet.

One Brilliant man here said "Why would I spend 450 dollars to attend a "White Party Dance" when I can go to the local gay Bar and be ignored just the same spending only 3 dollars for a cocktail!"

Never yet made it to a "White Party"... too poor, too old, and too tired and it don't look like any fun to me.

Glad that the young folks have a chance to kick up them heels though. Just be careful and have fun!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ~ Oscar Wilde

Offline oksikoko

Mine was sarcasm. Being gay is decidedly not a blast. ;)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Mine was sarcasm. Being gay is decidedly not a blast. ;)

Then you must be doing it wrong.

Joe

Offline oksikoko

Then you must be doing it wrong.

Joe

Sorry I don't live up to your impossible standards.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Sorry I don't live up to your impossible standards.

Wow.  I meant it as a joke... lighten up already.

Joe

Offline tednlou2

No Ted, your thread argued if people outside of NYC needed to be vaccinated.

Ok, I was remembering things differently.  "Many" did not poo-poo the risk.  However, it did appear you were.  You discussed how so many from your city go to NYC, and there hasn't been an outbreak.  And, you took issue with the HIV connection, which may be a valid point.  If I'm putting words in your mouth, please correct.

I did think what you said about me living in Louisville and it was silly for me to think I could be infected was short-sighted.  I know from talking with my gay uncle, who lived here, many thought the new "gay illness" in 1981 was something only people in larger cities needed to worry about.  He said many continued to have the same kind of sexual habits as always, thinking small town folks didn't need to worry.  He said they thought it was hype and overblown.  I'm certainly not saying this will grow into some huge health epidemic.  Although, meningitis would be much more likely to be transmitted than HIV. 

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=48218.msg585105#msg585105

Offline Calison

Miss Felicia :-*,

No need for straw and cocaine when a well placed tongue will do the same.

Its vector is: Spit/Saliva, Like TB.  :P

Just Say No Thank You to Meningitis.

Happy July. We Survived another June Gay Pride Month and Got the Right to Wed to Boot!
  Happy July 2013. 8)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.