Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:15:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 375
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Running a marathon  (Read 6893 times)

Offline Bonkers123

Running a marathon
« on: September 10, 2007, 04:29:52 pm »
Hello again everyone.  just posted same background on the living with HIV forum, but I have a different question for this forum:

Original post:
oki doke guys.  Im running a marathon. 
ummm....where to start.
My VL is at around 15000. CD4 stable (for about 3 years) at 350 ish.  This will be my 4th marathon since testing pos.  I havent done one for 2 years, and i am just starting running again in preparation - since entering.  I got about 35 weeks to prepare. I am a fairly experienced runner, and I already have worked out a training plan. 

Question:  What special dietery needs will I have.  Towards the end of my training I will be running 4 times a week, with 2 runs at 22 miles before the big day.  I basically want to know if HIV is going to mess with my diet, and will i need to supplement my diet with certain minerals or vitamins.

Offline Funkengruven

Re: Running a marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 04:48:14 pm »
Hey Bonkers,

I've run a couple of full and half marathons, and I'm preparing to do another one in less than a month.  Since testing positive a little more than a year ago, I haven't noticed any changes in my diet that I would attribute to HIV; however, during the time I'm training, I seem to eat twice as much.  Personally, I load up on complex carbohydrates, up my intake of fruits and veggies, and a daily multivitamin wouldn't hurt.  I also reduce my alcohol and caffeine intake while drinking more water.  Good luck with your race.

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 10:00:11 am »
While not a marathoner, I have ridden long distance on a bike, I am essentially in your ball park as far as CD4 and VL and also am planning on riding 150 miles over two days, or about 12 hours in the saddle.

As you can expect, it is possible to temporarily suppress the immune system via extreme training or events that greatly exceeds one physical capacity. I expect you have a building training regimen and know how to train.

So, unfortunately, I'm not as good as i would like to be regarding nutrition. But when I'm training I focus on Protein intake and even supplement with a Whey Protein. (non hydrologyzed! - jarrow brand plain). And use Glutamine up to 5 grams a day. My formula for training is the same as a weightlifters concept of 1gram or protein per pound of body weight a day. So what I don't take in via meat, I supplement with the Whey. The glutamine is for recovery and has a nice bonus of helping the digestive system, another area of focus.

I take Probiotics and eat yogurt, the freshest store bought quality yogurt I can get, Stoneybrook out here in the east. When I do over extend myself, it seems to result in digestive upset  and Diarrhea . I find the yogurt, probiotics and glutamine go a long way in helping correct that issue quickly, which is important to our immune system function.

I also have a list of supplements, but are not necessarily training related, which helps my energy levels and hopefully is helping my liver and replenishing my immune system with nutrients it needs to function as well as it can.

The core of this aspect are sulfur associated and gluathione supportive supps such as:

Alpha Lipoic acid - NAC - Carnitine - MSM - I believe that MSM has helped my energy level considerably. (I had a supplement that had MSM in it and it became unavailable. I was having energy and fatigue issues emerging to the point where I decided to put back in the Ginseng and MSM in my supp routine. Since adding these two back, I'm feeling almost normal and my food cravings have diminished.)

I have a quality supplement that features Selenium at 200mcg a day and rich in B complex and sufficient C and E.

And I have a couple of herbals - Astragalus and Korean Time Release Ginseng.

When I'm outside alot and training I do not supplement Vitamin D, but do during the winter months and when I'm not training or in the Sun that much.

The nice thing about biking is that you get to eat quite a bit during the ride and drink whatever you carry and what is supplied at the rest stops. Since I do charity rides, the goal is to finish so taking 10 minute breaks is the norm every 20 or so miles. So I even carry Glutamine dissolved in water with me and am making sure I get the electrolytes replenished. If you are running a bit in the heat, I would suggest that during training you have Gatorade at least or what may be better, NUUN tablets that can be dissolved in water. NUUN is an electrolyte table without the sugar. I haven't tried this yet, but a triathlete I know swears by them. nuun.com

Of course electrolytes are very important for digestive function and water absorption and water balance within the body during training and/or event.

Lastly, running is hard! (I used to do LD in my 30's. Hard to believe. But was able to run a half Marathon.) And bonking is common as runners don't seem to want to eat while running. Unlike biking where eating is a part of the culture and is encouraged! You may want to make sure while doing your training that you prevent bonking and make sure that for every 30-45 mins of running you are taking in a power bar or so in calories. Your going to burn way more than that, but it really does seem to keep you going with out hitting that wall.

These are of course my thoughts and my opinion. But you asked and this is what I do.

Good Luck on your run! Being fit enough to run a marathon and be HIV positive shows something! Even when challenged by HIV, we can do things and accomplish feats that many of our negative friends will not. We may be POZ and have issues for sure, but we can and will continue to do our thing to our best

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:03:30 am by risred1 »
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline Bonkers123

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 11:22:27 am »
Wow.  Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.  I have made a print of your advice Risred ( I think I can remember funkengruvens advice  ;) )
I  am not sure I can afford all that tbh, but I have heard a lot of the benefits of taking selenium supplements.  I will check the others out also.

Anyone know of the vitamins and minerals that get depleted during endurance training?  i am sure I read an article once that a certain mineral was depleted at a far higher rate during endurance training.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.