Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:55:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 476
Total: 476

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Lab Results Had Me In Tears, please share your advise  (Read 12536 times)

Offline brooklynpoz

• My Babies, Pepper (8) & Rocko (3)
My Lab Results Had Me In Tears, please share your advise
« on: June 14, 2006, 05:22:31 am »
Hi All,
Here's my info: december 2005, tcells 280, 18% & undectable, march 2006, tcells 309, 18% undectable, june 2006 tcells 250, 24% undectable. I am on truvada & kaletra. My dr. says no reason to cry, I am doing fine, but, I still criedin the office because of the decline of over 50 tcells. Any long term folks that can share their input. I can use a boost here. I was diagnosed 8/2004. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Diagnosed, Monday,  8/9/2004, 1ST year was ruff , now I am well adjusted .
Current Med's ; Kaletra & Truvada
Undetecable,<48 ,  531 tcells, 21%
Keeping the faith, that they will get a cure in our lifetime.
LIVE , LOVE , LAUGH

Offline cubbybear

Re: My Lab Results Had Me In Tears, please share your advise
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 05:27:56 am »
Hey Brooklynpoz,

You are indeed doing great, you are undetectale and your cd4% has gone from 18% to 24% that's just awesome.  Don't worry about your cd4 absolute, that will continue to jump up and down like a yoyo.  You really are doing well, be happy with your % and your meds are keeping your virus at bay.  I wish my % was as good as yours!

take it easy buddy.
Matt

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 05:32:51 am »
Hi Brooklyn

I don't think you have anything to worry about, although your count has dropped by 50 your % has gone up and that is good news, that means your immune system is working..please try not to stress out...trust me this is good news.

Hugs
Jan :)

Modifyed because Cubbybear beat me to it... :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline brooklynpoz

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 05:41:51 am »
Hi Matt & Jan,
Thank you both for your kind, reassuring words. I am a " Newbie " and I am so scared still.
Reaching out to beautiful people, like yourselves me the world to me.
LIVE , LOVE , LAUGH

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 05:43:02 am »
Brooklyn I really wouldnt worry about those results in fact you should be pleased with them.  My doctor told me the CD4% is a much better indication of how well your are doing also you need to allow for a large margain of error in the CD4 count.  I should know my CD4 count dropped by 200 in the space of a month and them rebounded again a few months later.  I'd try not to worry you sound like your doing well to me.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline joemutt

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 05:49:38 am »
Brooklyn Sweetie, I can only join the previous ; it's better in that your percentage is now better, while a change of 50 doesn't say too much by itself. Be Well

Offline joemutt

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 05:50:19 am »
Brooklyn Sweetie, I can only join the previous posters ; it's better in that your percentage is now better, while a change of 50 doesn't say too much by itself. Be Well

OMG I just quoted myself by mistake!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 05:52:09 am by joemutt »

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 05:51:33 am »
The percentage is by far the most important factor.

Dry your tears and cheer up.
You are on your way to better days.

Hermie :)
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 06:35:43 am »
Brooklyn,

I completely understand this is fairly new for you and can be upsetting sometimes.

CD4 cell counts (t-cells) can and do fluctuate for many reasons. As others have said, it's not a reason to worry.

Your Viral Load is remaining in the undetectable range and that's good news!

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline carousel

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 06:53:26 am »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:15:28 pm by carousel »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 07:06:24 am »
Brooklyn,

Your CD4 can fluctuate 50 points and more during the course of one day. The CD4% however, is much more stable. For this reason, the six point increase of your percentage is MUCH more significant that your 50 point drop in your (absolute) CD4. That's cause for celebration, not tears!

Just to illustrate, in my own case my CD4s have fluctuated up and down for the whole time I've been monitored. (five years) They've been as low as 230 something and as high as 787 - but my CD4% has pretty much always been between 27 and 29%. As long as my CD4% stays in that range, I don't sweat the absolute CD4 count.

For a better understanding, please read through the Lesson on T-cells. T-cell is another way of saying CD4.

Hang in there Brooklyn, you're doing great!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 07:33:52 am »
Hello Brooklyn,

I am just going to agree with the others . Your percentages have been going up and thats a good thing. CD-4's will bounce around. Take a look at my numbers at the end of my post, and you can  also see, how mine have made drops and increases. Of course, that is just my numbers, but you can see how numbers can bounce around. And, on top of that you remain undetectable, so that is also GREAT !

I think your doing fine

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 07:56:16 am »
Brooklyn, please listen to Ann and the others. They are wise. A CD4 count can fluctuate so much that it's only the barest reference as regards to your immunological health.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 08:31:38 am »
I think that many people (myself included) put too much emphasis on Cd4 counts.  I guess in the HIV world it is considered a benchmark.  While I am awaiting my last set of labs, I have not yet reached the 200 mark and it has been pissing me off.  I really, really want to get off the bactrim, and to do that, I must be consistently over 200.  from my last labs I went from 12% to 17% and VL undetectable. so I have to be happy about that.

VL is the key.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 08:36:47 am »
Its always depressing when cd4s go down, and it always gives you a little satisfaction when they go up. I have been testing since 89 when I was at 300, and I have bounced around between 250 and 450 for 17 years. I have never been sick from hiv,only the drugs. I think it was Joe who said yesterday something like 'its how you feel that is most important" and I think that is true.
Anyways, that was yesterday, and it is over, its a new day, forget about it and get pumped up for a great day.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 08:41:23 am »
My doctor told me that CD4e coujnt was the least of my concerns. That viral progression was best determined by VL - and that overall immune system functionality was best indicated by the percentages.

But the overriding thing was - how do I feel?

I submit that stress over numbers can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. It can make you sick. Please, I urge you to reread the LESSONS section here for the newly infected. SO MUCH has changed since the 1980s, then the ONLY thing we had to go by was the CD4 count.

Much information has been updated, and much has been discarded insofar as HIV disease is concerned.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 08:42:35 am »
Brooklyn

Everyone's comments are spot on.  Trust them buddy, they know of what they speak.

Your VL is undetectable, your % has climbed SIGNIFICANTLY, the absolute count varies widely. 

Dry those tears, "celebrate" (Ann's advice) your fantastic news.   Whether you know it or not my friend, you are doing VERY VERY WELL!  (Criss cross my heart. . . . . . ;D )

RAB

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 10:44:29 am »
OK, you asked for "long termers" to respond, and many have.  I will now post my numbers over the last 12 years or so.  They are just posted randomly from memory, so take them for what my mind remembers.  (not much)

1994.  CD4 20, % unknown, vl unknown.
1995   CD4 21,         "                 "
1996   CD4 32,         "          vl 900,000
1997   I didn't give a shit, just trying to stay alive.
1998   CD4 75,         "          vl 500,000
1999   CD4 125, % 12,         vl  75,000
Move to another state to get new doctor and new care program.
2000   CD4 225, % 13,         vl  35,000
2001   CD4 300, % 16,         vl  2,500
2002   CD4 315, % 14,         vl    ND
2003   CD4 305, % 12,         vl    ND
2004   CD4 350, % 14,         vl    ND
2005   CD4 500, % 15,         vl    ND
2006   CD4 615, % 12,         vl  3,000  (current)

Gee, I have never placed these numbers here, so it is going to be a surprise for more than one member of the forum.

I don't know whether or not this helps, but it does point out the things that the others have said.  The percentage is one of the biggest reasons that I worry when I see blips in my vl, like I am currently struggling with. 

In Love.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Christine

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 11:32:32 am »
Hello,
It is hard, especially in the beginning of all of this, to not let the numbers control how you perceive your health. Numbers and just numbers. Yes, it is a guideline that is used to measure how the meds are doing, but there are many factors to your health. Free of any OI's, your overall physical and mental well being, your energy level, your fitness level, your emotional level.

It is not abnormal to have a blip in your counts. One drop in numbers is not usually considered a problem. It is a gradual decline over a period of many months, a decline in the %, which could indicate resistance. Then at that point, you and your doctor might have to consider changing meds.

Don't worry, your numbers are good. Try to remind yourself to view your over all health- including stress levels, not just the test numbers.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 11:33:20 am »
From each year I picked just my LOWEST numbers.  :'(

CD4    %    VL    

1994    630     19     -
1995    410     17     -
1996    534     24     -
1997    700     28     un
1998    808     27     un
1999    557     26     un
2000    969     28     un
2001   1006    28     un
2002     598    28     un
2003     847    27     un
2004     987    30     un
2005     785    34     un
2006     932    37     un

Your percentage seems very good. Compared to mine, it’s much stronger. Another thing, when you have your blood draws done you should do them at the same time of day each draw. i.e. 10 am. before lunch.

John, I’m not sure if I’m correct in this, but I know that I was taking Dapsone. I think it was instead of  Bactrim. With no adverse  side affects . I’d suggest you ask your doctor if you could change to Dapsone. ???

Terry (Who’s no doctor.)

Offline Markmt

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 02:36:35 pm »
Got nothing to add, just want to say Welcome on the forums Brooklyn. I hope you are feeling better.

hug,

mark
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline brooklynpoz

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 08:28:45 am »
I want to thank each & everyone who has responded to me.
Your acts of kindness mean the world to me. We are one big family & for someone like myself, again, that means the world to me. I feel better today, after reading all of the replies & calming myself down.
THANK YOU ALL !! :)
LIVE , LOVE , LAUGH

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 10:44:09 am »
Hey Brooklyn,
The numerous comments you have gotten are spot on. Your percentage is climbing and that is great!

Don't let the numbers spook you. My CD4s yo-yo like Bush's ratings. Sometimes I will drop hundreds between tests. What counts is your percentage is growing and your viral load is undetectable, which means the meds are working.

Hang in there.

(((((Big HUG)))))

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline jon

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 03:05:48 pm »
Don't worry.  No good comes from it.  I was diagnosed a few years ago, (I'm not into time), with a CD4 count of 12, and a viral load of 750,000+.  I take My Meds and now my viral load is undectable.  My CD4 has never gone above a hundred, but I'm still alive and kickin.   
You'll have to kill Me before I die!!!

Offline Shawn Decker

• "Gee, Shawn!"
    • MY PET VIRUS
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 04:05:33 pm »
Hey Brooklyn, I just wanted to add my welcome as a fellow newbie to the boards.

Your % is more important, and the 6-digit jump is great!  As another mentioned, the yo-yo effect of the T-cell count can cause alarm, but don't stress it especially if everything else looks good.
Shawn

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 07:11:18 pm »
Undetectable Viral Load and a big % increase! Thats excellent!
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline USNRET

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 09:19:53 pm »
I also agree undetecable and your cd% is up!  Thats great!  ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.