Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:10:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 567
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 536
Total: 536

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Two and a half months on STRIBALD and the results are........  (Read 3348 times)

Offline MikeMax1313

Hello Everyone:

I first joined this blog back in December after my ID doc finally recommended Anti-viral therapy for me. I tested positive for HIV in 1995 albeit I was probably infected in 1988 or 1989 in NYC.  Anyway, to this day I have been asymptomatic and since 2001 I have been seeing an ID quite frequently to keep tabs on viral loads, CD4 etc.  In Nov of last year I was advised that my viral load jumped to over 200K and that my CD4 was at 400+.  I still had no symptoms and felt fine but my ID doc advised me that I should remain complacent and that he felt it was time to start therapy.  He prescribed STRIBALD in mid November. I sat on the RX out of fear and ignorance. I kept telling myself that I'm fine and that the side effects of the med would be more than I could bear. Well in late Dec I found this blog and got feedback from the kind folks on here who urged and encouraged me to commence therapy as the ramifications of not doing so would be way greater than any possible side effects. On Dec 26th I finally filled the RX and took my 1st pill and my first anti viral HIV med ever.

To my pleasant surprise I cannot say I've experienced ANY noticeable or profound side effects. My lifestyle of going to the gym, my appetite, my sleep patterns etc etc ALL remains totally unimpeded or hampered by ANY side effects. There are no issues to report. On Jan 26th I did blood work to check everything. The results: My viral load dropped from over 200K to a mere 50 and my CD4 is now over 600.  I will do blood work again April and see my doc again right after. I cannot say what would have happened to me had I not started on Stribald as I was never symptomatic and had never had AIDS albeit being positive since the late 80s but it is certainly encouraging to know that I can finally and seriously plan my future w/o ever worrying about succumbing to AIDS, at least I hope so  :)

I am curious tho to find out why they can create a medication that is so effective at killing the virus and preventing its multiplication in one's body but they can't devise a cure. It brings out the skeptic in me, but that's a whole other topic. Thanks for your previous advice everyone, it gave me the courage to confront my unfounded fears and to start on therapy.  Peace and Love.

Offline tednlou2

Re: Two and a half months on STRIBALD and the results are........
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:51:45 am »
Glad to hear things are going well.  Stribild is the regimen I've chosen to start with. 

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 12:54:45 am »
Good to see your numbers doing well so fast.

As to the skeptic part, viruses are tricky business.  There is no cure for the common cold, any of the herpes viruses, HIV, etc.  No drug company is holding onto a cure in order to sell monthly prescriptions.

Other STIs like syphilis and gonorrhea are bacteria, which are usually fairly easy to kill except for some antibiotic resistant varieties.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:54:17 am »

I am curious tho to find out why they can create a medication that is so effective at killing the virus and preventing its multiplication in one's body but they can't devise a cure.
Interdsting ...
Will make suggestions when back home
Mobile.eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline AtlantaMan40

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:32:35 pm »
Hi all - first post here on the forums (so be kind!).... I began Stribild in December 2012.   My doctor prescribed it for me after I found out a few weeks before I was positive.   I was fearful of side effects and did suffer some for the first 3 months - mostly stomach and digestive issues.   Over those 3 months, I have adjusted my diet in small ways, started taking a pro biotic, switched to lactose-free milk and reduced overall dairy intake.   Since making those changes, the side effects have almost completely disappeared.   And the medication is doing what it's supposed to - I was undetectable just 30-45 days after starting the medication!    Now it's just learning to love myself again and sadly there aren't any meds for that!

Offline MikeMax1313

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 08:26:43 pm »
Thanks everyone, I'll update all after my next bloodwork.  Peace & Love.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:42:28 pm »
Welcome to the Forums Mike and Atlanta.

It is nice to read about your good test results.

Keep taking care of yourselves.

Best.   :)

"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.