Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:00:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 530
Total: 532

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 14 months on Atripla, now i have a rash  (Read 5626 times)

Offline hereinny

14 months on Atripla, now i have a rash
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:35:26 pm »
I have been on Atripla for 14 months.  When i first began, i developed a nasty rash about 10 days in and that lasted for about a week and went away.  I have had all the typical experiences with it ie: dreams, feeling loopy, crappy sleep, etc. but i was undetectable in 8 weeks and although my CD4 hasn't rebounded too quickly, my ID doctor feels everything is going fine.
Last week i developed a rash like skin condition on my torso from my waist up to my shoulders.  It doesn't itch or burn (very different from the rash i got when i started Atripla) but it has become very noticeable. Its like a billion or so little pimples although there is no head on them, no discharge.  just basically look similar to acne.  This has been going on for about 10 days now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better although no worse either.  As i said, if i couldn't see it, i wouldn't know it was there because i don't feel anything from it and it isn't even raised skin.
I went to my ID doctor and he is testing me for everything imaginable although it doesn't seem to fit the symptom of anything i can find (STD or otherwise).  I have no fever, no swollen glands, etc.
My doctor says it could be from the meds but he sounded very skeptical with that.  I have been sexually active however, this doesn't fit the symptoms of anything i can find.
Has anyone else experienced any sort of rash on Atripla over a year into it?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
I'm pulling my hair out over this and i only have about 3 hairs left so pretty soon I'm really gonna be in trouble.
 ;D

Thanks in advance

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: 14 months on Atripla, now i have a rash
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 04:15:18 pm »
I had clear sailing on Intelence for about a year, and then I got a rash, bad enough that the Dr switched me off.

Seems to me your HIV doc should figure it out along with the help of a dermatologist if needed.   When do your tests come back?

Sometimes my HIV doc says "its not the drugs" and then I have to push for a referral to another doc who can figure out a problem.  I was skeptical when he said my rash, mentioned above, was the drugs, since it was so late in arrival, but he turned out to be correct.

Maybe get some antihistamines in you, in the meantime.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:16:53 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hereinny

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 05:13:33 pm »
I tried benadryl and it did not help at all.  The truth that really just treats the symptom.  Since there is no itch or soreness and it doesn't seem to be spreading, the issue is just to figure out what is causing it.  Of course i am worried about other STDs as well as having to change meds.  From everything i have read about the rash from a medication, it really shouldn't come 14 months into it.
My test results should be back in a few days and at least i will be able to eliminate that.  I have an appointment with a dermatologist but the earliest i was able to get was 2 weeks out.  Who knows, it might clear by then anyhow.  It has been about 10 days now so i guess it should have cleared if it was just something i ate or something viral but i have been told that some things are just a little more stubborn that others.
It basically just sucks waiting it out.
Thanks for the response

Offline Dickie

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:53:15 pm »
I have been taking Atripla for 8 days now. Only had my first rash several days ago. It didn't itch at all but was very embarrassing. I asked a LOT of questions and here's what helped me. Ok, don't laugh. But, I use diaper rash over the affected area, along with Benadryl.  The rash was gone in 7 hours. I dont' mind the drunk feelings because it's not so bad. It's like having a nice little buzz at work, and the dreams are incredible! I love the dream part. I actually look forward to going to bed now. Try Destin diaper rash and Benadryl in the morning the rash shows up. You may smell like a sweet little baby's bottom but it was worth it to me in order to make the rash go away fast!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 06:27:33 pm »
Rash is a common symptom for many things from meds to syphilis to hepatitis A, B and C to contact dermatitis to an allergy. You need to see a doctor. At 14 months of treatment it is unlikely to be the meds (but not impossible). Rash on Atripla usually happens at the beginning.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Coolio_7

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 07:02:20 pm »
I also have a rash all over my arms, shoulders, forearms and now my thighs. It like I have permanent goose pimples....like u get when you suddenly get cold. Although it s not that noticeable as actual goose pimples.  I Plan to ask my doc about it when I see him next week. The thing is im not even on meds yet. I think it may be related to HIV itself.

What's interesting is I was hanging out with a friend of mine who is also HIV positive and he pointed out to me the same goose pimple rash on his forearms. He just started atripla 6 months ago. So I'm thinking since I'm not on meds and your rash sounds like mine...fine goose pimple like look that doesnt itch, burn, and is not raised might just be related to HIV itself...seems like it could be related to some sort of infection of the hair follicles in the skin.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 07:14:50 pm »
As Newt said - rash could be from many things -
The type you describe sounds like the kind I had when I got diagnosed with Stage 2 syphilis - if you had an STD screen, including RPR it will pick it up if that is the case.

Could it be contact dermatitis?  A long time ago I got contact dermatitis out of the blue from a detergent I had switched to.

At any rate, best to have a doctor look at it, do appropriate tests and diagnosis what it is.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline anewpozzie

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 04:27:17 pm »
could be syph- go get tested for it.  nasty having syph. awful rash-etc

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.