Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:20:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 673
Total: 675

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please read and comment...Thank you so much...  (Read 4578 times)

Offline smoothstylez

Please read and comment...Thank you so much...
« on: February 20, 2009, 08:15:04 am »
Hi All:

Here is my story…
This is my first post and I am in need of great assistance.  I stupidly had intercourse with a sex worker almost 8 weeks ago.  I am a male in great shape and no specific illnesses before this experience.

Week 1:
Few Days after encounter I had tiredness for like 3 days with red skin on my scrotum.  Got a rash cream from a doctor that relieved the irritation.

Week 2:
Had a mild fever and was bed written for a few days.  Didn’t think much of it all was good as I still went out.  Headache began and persisted for a few days but Advil helped.

Week 3: 
Traveled to South America (no sexual encounters there) and a day after I arrived began to feel pain in the back of my head and neck.  Headaches got worse and neck was burning to the point were I had to put an ice pack.  I was worried sick so I decided at that point to see a doctor.  He told me not to worry about the lump on the back of my head, which began at the back of my head as it was nothing and I requested a HIV antibody test, which was negative!  He also mentioned that there were no abnormalities with my blood and to relax as my stress levels were really high.   During my travels I also had an earache which started and cause me great pain.  I believe the flying did not help my situation.

Week 4:
Decided to return to the country, as I was really exhausted with a dry throat. It really scared me so I went to the hospital.  After an analysis the doctor tested me for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and a chest X-Ray.  He then said all looks good and that my blood looks great (CD4).  The chest X-Ray showed that I have pneumonia in my lungs.  He prescribed an antibiotic for 10 days, which I took and laid in bed sleeping for most of the week.  During this week I had a loss of appetite (maybe due to the pills).

Week 5:
At this time, I noticed a painful bump under my neck and still feeling weak so I went to a family doctor who decided to do further tests on my liver, kidneys and chest.  All came out clean and doctor said that my blood levels look great.  He also said that I would need to come back for a blood test when the time was right.  The also said that the back of my head swelling was a muscle and not a lymph node.  The bump under my neck was a BLOOD CLOT.  So he advised me to keep calm and that I should take Ibuprofen daily for a few months.  After taking Ibuprofen for a few days that painful bump was gone.  The doctor did mention that
something must of changed in my blood to cause this blood clot though.

Week 6:
Returned back to work, though I had lower back pain and joint muscle pains.  Tried to keep my cool during this week and get back to normal life.  Noticed that my groin was slightly in pain on the side.  Didn’t know if this was lymph nodes or not so I did see my doctor and he said looks like a pulled muscle.  My question is but on both sides???  Could have been the lack of movement?!  Not sure … started to feel tingling sensations on my body and had trouble sleeping.  During this I had 2 nights of night sweats.  Though, I was not drenched in sweat rather I woke up sweaty.  Took my temperature right away and it was normal.   Also, I asked my doctor about HIV again and he said that he does not believe that I have anything Acute due to my blood work that was done.  Zits also began on my face and head more than usual over the last year.

Week 7:
Over the week, I feel much stronger though I’ve noticed red spots appear and go mostly on my left arm and left hand.  They are itchy and burn like I’ve been burned slightly or a small cut but disappear shortly after. They do not remain there though some times leave a dark red mark for a few hours or days. My skin seems to turn red extremely easily after pressing or scratching it.  Its been itchy all over as well.  Yesterday, I noticed a sore inside my mouth (just one) inside my cheek.  Also, a tingling sensation inside my lips though there are no signs of anything abnormal.  I still have a hard lump of the back right side of my head were your skull meets your neck.   Under my nose seems to be slightly red or irritated.  Within my body I get heat sensations over my body as well.  I did lose a little weight ( <5lbs) but have regained all of it back already.

I’ve seen a HIV concillour this week and he advise me that he doesn’t think I have HIV due to the likelihood of the chances and after reviewing my symptoms.

I’ve been pretty healthy all this time until the last 2 months from hell.  I need advice so I just a couple of questions.

Is this all a coincidence?  Am I being paranoid?

Are these common ARS symptoms?

What do I do from here?

Please HELP and thank you taking a moment of your time to respond to this.

S

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Please read and comment...Thank you so much...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:28:04 am »
You've left out an important detail regarding your intercourse with the sex worker. Were you wearing a condom or not?

If you were wearing one then you have no cause for concern about HIV. If you were not wearing one then you need to take an HIV test at 13 weeks after the most recent unprotected incident. HIV is a fragile virus. It is significantly harder to transmit from female to male. So if you had unprotected intercourse the odds are still in your favor that you will test negative.

All of your symptoms don't mean anything in knowing your HIV status reliably. When there has been risky behavior ONLY an HIV test at the appropriate time will tell your HIV status accurately. And none of your symptoms are in any way HIV specific.

Andy Velez

Offline smoothstylez

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 11:33:32 am »
My apologies as I didn't mention that the condom was removed by her and I was really drunk.

Thank you for the note.

Is there any point in getting test now at the almost 8 week mark.

Thanks again!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:20:27 pm »
You did not have a risk by having protected sex and you don't need to test over that situation.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 12:39:43 pm »
As long as the condom remained on during intercourse there's no need for testing over this incident.

You do need to take note that mixing excessive drinking with casual sex often leads to unsafe sex so avoid that in the future.

If any of your symptoms persist you should discuss them with your doctor. They have nothing to do with HIV.

In general we do encourage anyone who is sexually active to have a full STD panel done at least once a year. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV.

This time I don't see any cause to be concerned about HIV.

Cheers. 
Andy Velez

Offline smoothstylez

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 01:49:58 pm »
To clarify, the condom was removed and we continued on without protection with intercourse. I'm thinking of going to get tested this week.

In ur expert opinions do u all still feel that my symptoms don't have to do with ARS?

So scared that I cannot even think straight.

Thanks to all who responded and follow up.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 04:35:55 pm »
The earliest you can test is six weeks past the last incident. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. A six week negative result is unlikely to change, but has to be confirmed at the three month point.

Glad to hear you have had your STD panal done because they are easier to transmit than HIV, just remember that syphilis shares a three month window with HIV.

As Andy said symptoms are nothing to go by so keep checking with your Doctor if your symptoms are worrying you.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline smoothstylez

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 09:12:02 am »
Hi - any further comments on this now that i've mentioned it was indeed stupid unprotected sex?

I'm only asking as I have burning sensations in my hands, feet and sometimes face that come and then go away within seconds to minutes.  On my hands they show up like a red small mark, they burn and itch though don't remain. 
The blister on my mouth seems to have been a burn from eating something hot as its truthfully almost gone with no pain.

I'm at the 8 week mark today.

Thanks so much.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 09:38:01 am »
smooth,

Symptoms or even the LACK of symptoms means nothing when it comes to hiv. Nothing you are reporting is hiv specific anyway. The ONLY way to determine your hiv status is through hiv antibody testing at the appropriate time.

Your chances are very good that your three week negative will not change. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. However, you must learn from this incident and make sure you keep the condom on in future.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Please remember to confirm your negative status at the three month point.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline smoothstylez

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:59:53 am »
Thank you and I will report back to this board.

Appreciation to all who took the time to reply.

Wish me luck.

S

Offline smoothstylez

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 07:12:08 pm »
Okay, I am now waiting for my results.

Since my test I now have joint and muscle pains on my hands, forearms, knees and feet.  Does this have anything to do with HIV from anyones experience?  Please note I am now at the 8.5 week mark since my encounter.

Thanks again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 07:22:34 pm »
Smooth,

As you've already been told, symptoms or even the LACK of symptoms will never tell you a single thing about your hiv status. We don't discuss symptoms here. If you feel unwell, see a doctor. NONE of the symptoms you are reporting are hiv specific.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline smoothstylez

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:38 pm »
Hi All:

I just got my results back and at 8 weeks the antibody test was negative.

At nine weeks today, I had a quick test anti body test which was also negative as I didnt know the first results were in.

I am extremely relieved at this time and will retest at 3 months.  Though, this is extremely positive according to both doctors.

A good lesson to not focus on symptoms or the internet.  Practice safe sex is most important to live a healthy life.  Your advice was appreciated and I will never forget this day.

Thank you all for reading.

S

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.