Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:10:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 205
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Trials and Tribulations of an Old Poz Queen  (Read 533337 times)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Re: Trials and Tribulations of an Old Poz Queen
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2008, 10:43:49 am »
Although i was never given a letter, i was told this.  I haven't been afraid of collectors for this reason, however, i remember when i first was diagnosed, i got calls, and they heard children playing in the yard (i was in a low income housing devel) and asked if i had kids...... they thought i was lying and avoiding them, all the guilt they could find was put upon me..... somehow, i got through that, it's never been as bad, but continues through self-guilt, undoubtedly brought on by the 'unassuming' assholes just doing their jobs!  see, i too get frustrated!  LOL
here's to continued ease of mind!
bob mac

I used to have this great letter my caseworker at AID Atlanta provided me with back in the early 90's to send to creditors.  It said something to the effect of "I have an AIDS diagnosis.   SSDI is my only form of income, which cannot be garnished or attached in any way.   I am judgement-proof."  (or something along those lines)  It worked well for me.

Wishing you the best Ron.  :)

hugs, Alan

Bob Mac, I have dealt with creditors before as I have suffered the agony of 'Identity Theft' back in 1988, and I got through it and succeeded in surpassing that which was lost. But, I was younger, and was not suffering from health problems and facing myself in the mirror seeing : 55 years old, DVT/PE's, HIV, gray hair, failing eyesight, still facing upcoming biopsy on tooth,...all happening within the span of the past 9 months...too much, too fast...I just sometimes feel like... whats the use?  There used to be three bears living in my cottage..'Butch Bear Ronnie, Jock Bear Ronnie,  and Nelly Bear Ronnie and now , they're all huddled in a corner of the room looking at a BIG Bear that has taken over ' old POZ Bear Ronnie'  and wondering , who is this? .and what is he going to do?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 11:40:28 am by rondrond »
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2008, 11:01:08 am »
dinner was ham, bacon, egg and cheese folded in flour tortillas and grilled in my Express Grill....
Can you say...High Cholesterol?
I am going to get on your case about this cholesterol.
Kurt fixed dinner last night:
grilled lean chicken breast
boiled corn on the cob
sauteed green peas pods
and we did use real butter on the corn but the rest was pretty low cholesterol

Joel... :-*

I'm working on it. I cannot just throw away food I already have in the house. As I use up the bad, I am replacing with the good.  I ran out of chicken breasts. I have to add two packages on the grocery list, maybe three. Why do they come in packages of an uneven number.five?  I have already emptied a large portion of 'really bad food' items (with labels showing sodium content above 600) in the post offices food drive.."please feed the hungry and leave the furnished bag by mailbox"...
corn on the cob is good...but only with LOTS of butter... :P
I'll eat green peas... but I draw the line on the pods.. :D
ronnie

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2008, 12:31:32 pm »
Ronnie, just seperate the chicken breasts.  I was quite shocked also when I read about you having eggs, ham and bacon.  Wow, that's heart-clogging food.  Come on, now.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline rondrond

« Reply #153 on: May 22, 2008, 01:11:48 pm »
Ronnie, just seperate the chicken breasts.  I was quite shocked also when I read about you having eggs, ham and bacon.  Wow, that's heart-clogging food.  Come on, now.

hmmm,
let me clarify,
its turkey bacon,
lean deli ham
and I've read pros and cons on eggs to make you fall on the floor dizzy. but my Gfather who lived to 98 had eggs everyday of his life....
I repeat, the doctor stated that my cholesterol is perfect...my triglycerides are elevated from the meds and inactivity...not my diet. The nutrtionist is fine with my diet. I am increasing my activity and will see what comes of it .

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2008, 01:14:21 pm »
Oh well, kay.  Just being concerned.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline rondrond

« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2008, 01:29:13 pm »
Oh well, kay.  Just being concerned.

I appreciate you and Joel being concerned. I need to be concerned. I didn't mean to sound like I'm snapping your head off. I am doing the best I can with I've got and what I've got is getting less and less every passing day. Something positive has got to happen soon, or I don't think I can take it much more. All I do is wait and see, and then wait some more.

please forgive a tired old poz queen...
ronnie

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2008, 01:50:09 pm »
Oh honey, believe me, I understand doing with whatcha got.  I plan my grocery list around what the food banks give out. 

No apologies needed.  I understand you're going through a lot of adjustments right now.  Just hang in there baby. :-*

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2008, 04:31:07 pm »
Oh before I forget again. How on earth did you manage to get a basement in Texas?

I dont think I have ever seen a house with a basement here.

Offline bear60

« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »
Hi Ron.....
I guess Betty and I are going to be on your case for a while.  Now. Listen.  My partner, Kurt is on disability.....he has a FIXED INCOME. So he has to stay in a buget.  He goes to great length to make a shopping list and studies the specials and so-on, every week.  If there is a special on chicken breast....he buys and then individually wraps and freezes.  So, you know, its labeled and dated.
He pretty much has what he is going to cook for a week in his mind.
I would never suggest that yoiu spend MORE for food...rather that you be more careful in what you buy.
We want to see you around for the reunion of 2020!!!

Do you have a buget? Post more of your daily menus.

Love ya....Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2008, 08:25:09 pm »
Hi Ron.....
I guess Betty and I are going to be on your case for a while.  Now. Listen.  My partner, Kurt is on disability.....he has a FIXED INCOME. So he has to stay in a buget.  He goes to great length to make a shopping list and studies the specials and so-on, every week.  If there is a special on chicken breast....he buys and then individually wraps and freezes.  So, you know, its labeled and dated.
I would never suggest that yoiu spend MORE for food...rather that you be more careful in what you buy.

Love ya....Joel

Yes....... I'm on a buget and FIXED INCOME too, and I know what I'm going to buy & cook every 2 weeks when I go to the Grocery Store.......I do most all of the cooking, my otherhalf can cook, but he's not as good at it as I'am ( he's a heart patient, had a heart attack back in 2002 and Open heart surgery at 45) so, we eat like were both that way.no salt,no sodium, uless it comes that way.oh and NO BUTTER  ;D  at least low fat butter...so we do the low fat, low salt, low,sodium diet........I know that sounds BORING & BLAND, and he HATES the way I cook, but it keeps us healthy  ;) so, he sucks it up and eats it anyway ( I'm so Proud of him)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 08:34:41 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2008, 10:33:30 pm »
When my 2nd ex's cholesterol and triglycerides both shot up to over 1,000 I bought an American Heart Association cookbook and they have pretty good recipes in there.  Most are cooked with herbs and such and are really quite tastey.

Offline denb45

« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2008, 10:43:18 pm »
When my 2nd ex's cholesterol and triglycerides both shot up to over 1,000 I bought an American Heart Association cookbook and they have pretty good recipes in there.  Most are cooked with herbs and such and are really quite tastey.

I bet.........my otherhalf wants to eat all the things that's bad for him, the sugar, the salt, the cream, the butter, but the reality is HE CAN'T.if he wants to keep his heart healthy, but he knows that if he does, and he has another heart attack, then he has NO ONE else to blame but himself..........I do the cooking, so, it's up to him, weather he wants to live or die, it's his choice not mine..........
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:46:01 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline rondrond

« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2008, 02:09:36 am »
Oh before I forget again. How on earth did you manage to get a basement in Texas?

I dont think I have ever seen a house with a basement here.

Hi Wendy. In the pics above, thats the back of the house. The entrance ot the basement is under the deck. There is a well under the deck also. Those two windows in the left corner are my bedroom and below them is another window which is one of the windows to the basement. In the pic with the tall green plants, in the right corner is the house/converted to two duplexes. We are at the top of a hill. Starting at the front of the house and down by the side of the deck into the backyard is one gradual slope going on to the Trinity River. That 'circle' in the foreground is where the pool used to be and the post is all thats left of a ramp and deck that went around the pool.. The house is 65 years old, as are the neigbors'. On my side of the street, all of the houses have basements, and wells. I guess it was the mindset of that generation on this street. It's large, I can stand up in it, and I'm 6'3"..and has a concrete floor instead of the dirt floor that most have up north. Runs the entire length of the house. At one tme, it was being finished with walls and ceiling and rooms as my nephews wanted a place to have people over. Then they got on drugs, sex and rock and roll and being a now grown up hypocrate, I had to put a stop to it, which really pissed them off, as they knew my and their mothers drug history, but..I'm gay, and was given role of 'Daddy' and played it to the hilt.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2008, 02:35:47 am »
Hi Ron.....

Love ya....Joel

Hi Joel,
Heck yeah, I'm on a budget. I haven't worked since July 07. Still waiting on SSDI approval. I have been living on my savings, soon to be my retirement, then my stocks if this doesn't get a move on. I really thought that hiring Binder and Binder would expedite the process, but when I first applied, I was only seeing doctors regarding my DVT,  I was not on HIV meds and had not had treatment for 7 years. So, now, I'm hoping that with my HIV status in there, things will start moving again. Doc just told me about triglycerides last week, as this is a new development. I shop for the week, and have set aside how much we have for the morgage and food. All I have is insurance, inspection and gas for the truck as everthing is paid off. I don't owe nobody, nothing. Scratch paper is the back of junk mail envelopes which I have stacked by the computer where we have our shopping list. Katie is on SSI, which aint much...pays the electric, gas water and phone. ( she has a 'secret lover', who gives her money now and then, ..the whore..in a wheelchair and sees more action than me >:(   He comes over when I'm gone to the store or getting a haircut....he won't come over if I'm here ;)  weird.....His mother knew Katie's mother-in-law and it's just a mute point because Katie is a widow and his mother and the m-in-lawl are dead....but..??....He's a cowboy and she is a fool for a cowboy...I swear anyone could walk in the door wearing wranglers and a hat and she wouldn't know the difference. :D
Fridays are my shopping day and this will be my first time to shop with a 'new list'....I hope I survive it..I'l post my meals if you post yours...I need ideas to get us through 7 days..
What's happening in 2020? Who's reunion? they have camping (literally) at Hippy Hollow in Austin....a gay section with nude...err..clothing optional...and you get free parking if you have a campsite.... :D Twice a year, the bars sponsor 'Splash Day' with barges and free keg beer.... ::)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:37:40 am by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2008, 02:46:30 am »
I bet.........my otherhalf wants to eat all the things that's bad for him, the sugar, the salt, the cream, the butter, but the reality is HE CAN'T.if he wants to keep his heart healthy, but he knows that if he does, and he has another heart attack, then he has NO ONE else to blame but himself..........I do the cooking, so, it's up to him, weather he wants to live or die, it's his choice not mine..........

You and Joel must be good cooks if you can get them to eat it.
Sounds like my Mom and JW. It seems that he can't eat anything anymore. She will put something in front of him and he will look at me and whisper..."what the hell is this?"  :D Then he will joke that one could starve to death around here...like living in the hospital....but he eats it..sometimes asks for more...

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2008, 02:49:47 am »
Hi Ron.....
I guess Betty and I are going to be on your case for a while. 
..Joel

If your going to be on my case....could you at least feed me too? ..just to give me an idea or two? ::) ;D

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline bear60

« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2008, 09:15:46 am »
Hi Ron
Just to clear one thing up...Denb....its Kurt who buys and cooks the food in our house.  He has  VERY fussy preferences. And on top of being fussy he has to be on this low cholesterol diet.  Kurt is the heart patient in our house hold as well.  He had a near miss with a heart attack and was disciovered to have an artery that was 99% blocked.  They put a stent in.  That was when his triglycerides were OVER 2000..and he was exercising at the time too.
Last night dinner...
-marinated steak shish-ka-bob on the grill, included chunks of onion and green pepper
-green beans
-rice pilaf.....which is not on his diet but he loves it so much he cheats with this.
Lunch Menu for Kurt is usually soup and sandwich or fish sticks...something like that.
Next menu to follow.
Your yard looks nice...Living in a city we dont see that much green unless we go to a park.
Joel
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:32:02 am by bear60 »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2008, 10:16:34 am »
OK, Ron,

Since we are all on the same page here (diet-wise that is), here are some ideas for stretching a budget yet having tasty, satisfying meals.

Breakfast;

An 8 oz glass of orange juice.
An EggBeaters omelet. I use Lucerne brand (Safeway) which is just as good, gluten free and much cheaper. I use whatever I want in the omelet, but no cheese (too much cholesterol(.
Slice of homemade, gluten-free bread with Smart Balance™ spread and jam or peanut butter with honey.
Half an avocado, sliced with a light sprinkle of kosher salt over the top.
Small dish of fruit.
An 8 oz glass of fresh carrot juice

Alternate breakfast
Scrambled tofu instead of the omelet
Gluten-free waffle with Smart Balance™ and gluten-free syrup or local honey (my personal favorite).
Half an avocado, sliced.
Small dish of fruit.
The usual orange and carrot juices.

Lunch

Sandwich made with homemade gluten-free bread. I usually alternate this between tuna salad or sliced ham. If I make a large roast or something, I will also use the leftovers for sandwiches during the week.
A piece of fresh fruit (apples or oranges usually, sometimes bananas or other fruit)

Alternate lunch

Homemade soup du jour, depending on what I felt like making, usually turkey or chicken soup, although sometimes split pea or bean soup.

Afternoon snack (always important for me)

Something yummy but not too bad for me, such as raisins, trail mix, Fritos (Oh OK, I have a weakness for them.) etc.

Dinner
During the week, I eat either boneless, skinless chicken breast or fish three times a week. I am getting good at finding inventive ways of preparing these things.
I usually couple this with a starch of some sort, usually rice but occasionally a baked potato, plus veggies, one green and one red/orange, when possible.
Desert usually includes either fruit or something I have made (like the brownies I made last night).

The other three days of the week (Saturday included) I have meatless days.
On these days, I will have various non-meat dishes such bean burritos (made with corn tortillas and homemade refritos, unless I get lazy and then its the canned refritos).
No cheese, but Sadie's™ Salsa is a must.

I also will do stir fry tofu, which is yummy.

Other days I will make pasta sans meat. I make a pretty good (read: palatable but not something to write home about) marinara sauce. Again, no cheese, but, eh, I don't do this too often.

Anyway, these are just some ideas. Tofu is pretty reasonable and goes a long way. I also make my own beans from dried beans rather than buying already cooked beans. They are cheaper and, in my humble estimation, better, and I can be sure of all of the ingredients.

I avoid buying anything premade. I make most everything from scratch, both because of my gluten intolerance and because it is usually better tasting.

With summer coming on, grilling is definitely an option. There is nothing like fish or chicken cooked on the grill, not to mention it helps keep the house cooler.

Oh, and on Sundays, all bets are off, I eat what I damn well please. But, its only one day a week and I usually don't go too crazy.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline rondrond

« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2008, 10:32:18 am »
I don't know if I would call myself 'fussy', but I do have my definite likes and dislikes. Katie's husband was a 'grill' cooker and I don't even own a BBQ pit. I am a rogue Native Texan as I don't particularly like BBQ ...mainly it's the sauces, the meats just fine. I don't like like the sweet taste on meat... I just want to taste the meat. Having good table manner and all, I will eat it when out in public. Katie likes FAJITA ..the taste of it.. will put it on just about everything...I like plain and dry. I prefer mustard to mayonnaise...Katie likes mayonnaise, not mustard, and I buy the 'light mayo, which she hates.."and she always puts on the list.."Hellmans Mayonaise"....**Note**just because its on the list...doesn't mean that it gets bought....but, sometmes we gotta have something we really like to keep us going, otherwise, whats the point of living, if you can't enjoy it?  I buy huge bags of Animal Crackers and non salted nuts for snacks though we want CHOCOLATE AND CARAMEL...Riesens fits that bill....I got her off ice cream by sneaking flavored yougrt in on her one time..it was Creamy Latte flavored and she LOVES coffee, so she really liked it and now we eat yogurt instead of ice cream...though if its hot outside and we're driving by Braums, I'm stopping and getting a sunday or shake....I weaned her off drinking coffee everyday and introduced her to Green Tea and got her off sugar and we use sweet and low....she used to drink sugar with coffe/tea....it was insane, but for some reason, when a drug addict goes into a treatment center..you are plied with cigarettes and coffee...weird....the message I got out of that was...it's ok to be addicted to this, but not your drug of choice.....
Having addictive personalities, finally got her off putting 8 packages of sweet and low in a cup of coffee or glass of tea down to one package.."dang  girl...these little packages are concentrated."...and while I can drink coffee black and tea with lemon, she still insists on at least that one pack of sweet n low ....I was glad to get her off that coffee jag as it's now $5.00 and up for a can of java....ridiculous...
She loves chicken , so we should have no problem with that. We are both on blood thinners, Warfarin so have to watch the 'vitamin k' intake...and we have different doctors who give conflicting messages....hers says  "NO green vegetables...and gave us a sheet of paper of what she could eat and not eat"...then comes my doctor...:eat what you want and I will adjust your warfarin dose to whatever your consuming in vitamin K...just don't get ridiculous with it (moderation) and be consistant....if not, then I could 'throw' another blood clot..so we deal with our doctors differences..'he said, she said".....
She will eat green beans....she LOVES green beans...will dream about greeen beans and I prefer peas....and yellow squash (I wish I had Boston Market Place's recipe) If eating out we prefer onion rings to fries, and she orders the closest thing to grilled chicken they got..I will order a cheeseburger...it's my reward....
We both like rice....I dream of chicken and rice...and rice pilaf.. (glare)....and stir fry (chicken fried rice)
Sometimes I buy a pork roast and put it in the crock pot with carrots, onions, celery and small potatos....
I will eat beans till they come out my ass (pun intended), Katie will not...I have to sneak them in on her, usually in a casserole dish...and she will go ahead and eat them with the exception of refried beans..she will gag... Years ago, to help control her weight, Katie  suffered through 'aversion therapy"/ "shock treatments" to certain foods...which, she sometimes forgets about until actually eating it, then the 'therapy' kicks in and she gags.....weird....
...even weirder that you have to be afraid of something that you need to stay alive...food, water, air, and if  you want it to be safe and nutritious you have to scrutinize and exam it and study it and turn it into some kind of obsession and you get to pay for the experience of staying alive through the nose when I have spent all my life in a mindset...".eh...it's food, food is food, just eat it..."
ronnie

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:07:21 pm by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline bear60

« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2008, 10:53:08 am »
Kurt just left the house to go do a workout at the gym.  I think he goes 2 or 3 times a week.
Fussy, for me, is when someone wont eat whats served them even if its well prepared and tasty and on the diet. 
Homemade soup....no
all seafood...nope
raw vegetables including tomatos and carrots ,...cooked its ok...like a tomato sauce
(salads for Kurt are basically just lettuce )
any meat that has a bone in it..chicken beef pork ..no ....has to be boneless.
no wild or brown rice
no tofu or vegetarian stuff..nope
the list goes on
So, thats why I say Kurt is fussy.

Have a great day!

Joel

Offline rondrond

« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2008, 11:10:06 am »
Mark,
I love Sundays too, though sometimes I find that I forgot what day it is...."oh, I thought today was Sunday?...it's not Sunday?"....
Safeway, has disappeared from Fort Worth, as have Piggly Wiggly and Winn Dixie....all thats left is Albertson's (which you beter have your life savings in your pocket book to get out of there with maybe two sacks of groceries) and Krogers which is almost as bad. I go to Walmart, because I can buy more than food there, I don't go to malls anymore and if they don't have what I like, I can usually find it online. I love shopping online....i hate the shipping and handlng.....
I like your breakfast,  though we usualy do oatmeal. I have a friend who has moved to New Zealnd now, but one time I was invited to dinner and they had made tofu and I put it in my mouth and then politely put it in my napkin....maybe its an acquired taste or there are different recipes for it, but whatever they put in it.....never again....
I buy Old Mission corn strips..they only have 40mgs sodium...though I love cheetos and pringles...sigh.
We love trail mix too, though Katie will get carried away and finish the bag at one sitting if I don't admonish her.."thats supposed to be a snack, not the main course and it's supposed to last for more than a day"...
brownies...CHOCOLATE...
Katie will do beans from scratch and will start in on a recipe..I keep handing her the spoon and the keys to the kingdom. but the kitchen is not wheelchair friendly, the counters are too high and the cabinets too high, and those reachers are wonderful, but if an object is too heavy it meets the floor....if she hits the oven  a few more times with that electric wheelchair I keep telling her that it will go through the wall and be on the deck and then I will have my outdoor grill....so I get to do the cooking..which hurts..my back hurts my legs, ah heck, I just hurt all over, it really turns into an ordeal and I tend to pick recipes that are QUCK, requiring about a 5 minite prep and get it cooked...sometimes I have to sit down, I have a special chair and now I think I understand.....when growing up, I have memories of being in kitchens...Mom, Gmom, Aunts, and they would have stools in the kitchen...I always assumed that it was there for me to sit on...now I know it was for them...cooking and washing dishes just exhausts me and my body aches so bad, sometimes, after setting the table and all is ready,I feel that I need to go lie down and recover than eat....
I need a grill....Santa?...birthday fairy?...Easter bunny?...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:37:02 am by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2008, 11:18:01 am »
Kurt just left the house to go do a workout at the gym.  I think he goes 2 or 3 times a week.
Fussy, for me, is when someone wont eat whats served them even if its well prepared and tasty and on the diet. 

Joel

I'm definitely NOT fussy in your world then...I love food that I haven't had to cook myself.. : :P

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2008, 01:16:21 pm »
Ronnie, the first time I went through treatment, we were not allowed to have any caffeine save the outside AA/NA meetings we went to.  We were allowed to smoke though, outside of groups.  I think the reasoning is that getting off the booze/elicit drugs is the most important thing.  Addiction to either will take someone down a lot faster than caffeine/smoking cigarettes.  Also the things someone will do to get the drug they're addicted to are not usually what someone will do to get a pack of cigarettes or a cup of coffee.

As far as my diet, I use Smart Balance, as does Mother Mark.  I don't do fish other than tuna salad (I hate fishy taste).  I did have good tasting talapia before, but I have no idea how to cook it to make it good.  I eat a lot of chicken.  For breakfast, I usually have honey-nut cheerios, a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, and a piece of fruit.  I can't drink juice because of being diabetic, or I surely would. 

I'm not the best dieter in the world; I think the Lipitor is the biggest reason my cholesterol has come down.  There's a frozen custard place by my apartment that is just fab, and I occasionally indulge.  I'm not a gourmet cook (or really even a creative one) by any means.  I try to watch portion size a lot.  Anyway, good luck coming up with new ideas.  If you come up with some really tastey ones, please post them.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2008, 01:27:15 pm »
Betty,
   :DI had to google smart balance..sounds good, I will put it on my list. also had to google talapia and I don't know how you had it,they had several variations,  but what I pulled up mentioned sauteed in garlic bitter and jalapeno relsih.....yummmy sounding and Katie and I are both agreeable on garlic butter.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline bear60

« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2008, 01:28:23 pm »
Ron....thats why when its my turn to cook I make whats called RESERVATIONS.
 No, seriously......I cook.  Kurt just dont eat what I cook.  So usually I cook for myself.  Tuesday night Kurt is out to his German class, so I cook then or on the weekend I make a pot of soup that lasts all week for me.
I think you are doing very well.  After all, as we age we are not able to keep those adolescent food habits anyway.
One of my favorite indulgences is pasta..since Kurt cannot eat it anymore.  Spaghetti and meatballs has become an indulgence...fancy that.
Betty and Kurt would get along real well.  He eats Cheerios for breakfast.
I like the idea of grilling outside too...we do that a lot...while the chicken breast are cooking we put a foil packet of veggies on to cook.  For flavor I use a splash of garlic oil and vinegar salad dressing on the veggies befor wrapping them up.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2008, 01:35:50 pm »
TO: bear60

Reply: what time?

I love spaghetti, especially the next day, I spread it out in a pan and sprinkle with cheese, pour a can of Italian Wedding soup by Campbells Select Healthy Request and bake it at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes...call it spaghetti pie

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2008, 04:35:34 pm »
You and Joel must be good cooks if you can get them to eat it.
Sounds like my Mom and JW. It seems that he can't eat anything anymore. She will put something in front of him and he will look at me and whisper..."what the hell is this?"  :D Then he will joke that one could starve to death around here...like living in the hospital....but he eats it..sometimes asks for more...

Well ronnie I always look at it this way..........you have to EAT it's Food, but here's what I try to do (and no one in here is perfect) but we all try to do the best we can.........this is what I live by........You must EAT to Live.........not LIVE to EAT....so, if you try and we all do, to EAT Healthy, then that's half the battle  ;D..........we all splurge from time to time.......I have a SONIC DRIVE-IN around the corner from me, so, I do like them TEXAS TOAST BURGERS with all the fixins ,Beacon, Cheese, and what ever else it comes with...........but once in a while it won't hurt me, I suppose................ ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:48:08 pm by denb45 »

Offline rondrond

« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2008, 05:22:29 pm »
Well ronnie I always look at it this way..........you have to EAT it's Food, but here's what I try to do (and no one in here is perfect) but we all try to do the best we can.........this is what I live by........You must EAT to Live.........not LIVE to EAT....so, if you try and we all do, to EAT Healthy, then that's half the battle  ;D..........we all splurge from time to time.......I have a SONIC DRIVE-IN around the corner from me, so, I do like them TEXAS TOAST BURGERS with all the fixins ,Beacon, Cheese, and what ever else it comes with...........but once in a while it won't hurt me, I suppose................ ;D

Yeah, I've spent all my life just shoveling it in without thinking, now I have to think aobut it. Sonic is just down the road, a brightly lit oasis in a darkened skyline...
Wonderful onion rings, and chili cheese dogs and it used to be all girls bringing out the food, there have been a lot of cute boys taking on jobs at Sonic during the summer and they're the ones on roller skates....and of course, we've already discussed those stuffed jalapenos :P
UN-fortunately there has been a RASH of price increases at all of my favorite 'dining out' places, and Sonic is the worst...I almost choked the last time I was there and had to really scrutinize the receipt thinking there must be some mistake as I was paying for one meal the amount that would pay for 4 meals prepared at home....must be a result of the gas prices...can't even cheat on my diet anymore since I've become such a tightwad. >:(

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2008, 05:58:20 pm »
Yeah, I've spent all my life just shoveling it in without thinking, now I have to think aobut it. Sonic is just down the road, a brightly lit oasis in a darkened skyline...
Wonderful onion rings, and chili cheese dogs and it used to be all girls bringing out the food, there have been a lot of cute boys taking on jobs at Sonic during the summer and they're the ones on roller skates....and of course, we've already discussed those stuffed jalapenos :P
UN-fortunately there has been a RASH of price increases at all of my favorite 'dining out' places, and Sonic is the worst...I almost choked the last time I was there and had to really scrutinize the receipt thinking there must be some mistake as I was paying for one meal the amount that would pay for 4 meals prepared at home....must be a result of the gas prices...can't even cheat on my diet anymore since I've become such a tightwad. >:(

Yeah tell me about  ???............What's the Price of GAS there in the Lone Star State.here in NM today I saw 3.98 & 4.11 a gallon being the highest  ??? this isn't RIGHT.as it makes almost EVERYTHING GO UP in Price  :(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 05:59:55 pm by denb45 »

Offline rondrond

« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2008, 06:10:24 pm »
Yeah tell me about  ???............What's the Price of GAS there in the Lone Star State.here in NM today I saw 3.98 & 4.11 a gallon being the highest  ??? this isn't RIGHT.as it makes almost EVERYTHING GO UP in Price  :(

I don't go anywhere so don't fill up much, I have a Ford Ranger 5 speed and get 25mpg in city....when I do fill up it scares me..used to be 20.00 would fill the tank, two weeks ago I spent 50.00....3.89gal.....2 gal for gas can was 7.70...that was almost 60.00 for the day and I retreated to the house with tail tucked between my legs vowing to stay put. Really got to check into the bike idea you had. My nephew has a motorcycle, but I don't know if I'm butch enough to handle one..I witnessed a kid skidding out and his bits were all over the road.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2008, 06:36:28 pm »
I don't go anywhere so don't fill up much, I have a Ford Ranger 5 speed and get 25mpg in city....when I do fill up it scares me..used to be 20.00 would fill the tank, two weeks ago I spent 50.00....3.89gal.....2 gal for gas can was 7.70...that was almost 60.00 for the day and I retreated to the house with tail tucked between my legs vowing to stay put. Really got to check into the bike idea you had. My nephew has a motorcycle, but I don't know if I'm butch enough to handle one..I witnessed a kid skidding out and his bits were all over the road.

I have a FORD RANGER SUPER CAB w/ V6 Automatic (4.0L it's a Ford F-150 engine) it's a 1998 and has 52,000 miles on it (I own it and it's paid for).....I don't go ANYWHERE ANYMORE.......when i do full up the tank, it used to cost $44 dollars, now it cost $56...............WALMART, K-MART, or TARGET has Mountian Bikes 10 speeds or 12 speeds...........they cost about $60 to $80 bucks and come fully assembled ( all you gotta do is buy a Bike Helmet for safety)...some even come with a water bottle mounted on the lower Frame.........Ronnie it's WORTH IT, and GREAT CARDIO for your heart health too ;D

Offline rondrond

« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2008, 06:51:21 pm »
I have a FORD RANGER SUPER CAB w/ V6 Automatic (4.0L it's a Ford F-150 engine) it's a 1998 and has 52,000 miles on it (I own it and it's paid for).....I don't go ANYWHERE ANYMORE.......when i do full up the tank, it used to cost $44 dollars, now it cost $56...............WALMART, K-MART, or TARGET has Mountian Bikes 10 speeds or 12 speeds...........they cost about $60 to $80 bucks and come fully assembled ( all you gotta do is buy a Bike Helmet for safety)...some even come with a water bottle mounted on the lower Frame.........Ronnie it's WORTH IT, and GREAT CARDIO for your heart health too ;D

Mine is a '97 paid for...beatcha only 50,000....I had a work truck and my Ranger used to just sit there and collect dust. Sometimes I would feel guilty and go out and start ti up to keep the juices flowing and take it aorund the block. For 5 years I think I only put gas in it every 6-7 months. Now you got me thinking. So, If I was to ride a bike down the road and buy something, I would need a back pack to carry it in.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2008, 07:55:34 pm »
Mine is a '97 paid for...beatcha only 50,000....I had a work truck and my Ranger used to just sit there and collect dust. Sometimes I would feel guilty and go out and start ti up to keep the juices flowing and take it aorund the block. For 5 years I think I only put gas in it every 6-7 months. Now you got me thinking. So, If I was to ride a bike down the road and buy something, I would need a back pack to carry it in.

They have back packs, saddle side bags, are just about whatever else you my need for that NEW BIKE  ;D.........if Gas keeps going up, I just may PARK my Ford and just ride my bike (we even have bike racks on the front of our City Buses) I could ride my bike and then the Bus, if I had to go any distance, like say maybe for a doctors Visit, Labs...just about anything within the City limits.........

Offline rondrond

« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2008, 08:30:07 pm »

They have back packs, saddle side bags, are just about whatever else you my need for that NEW BIKE  ;D.........if Gas keeps going up, I just may PARK my Ford and just ride my bike (we even have bike racks on the front of our City Buses) I could ride my bike and then the Bus, if I had to go any distance, like say maybe for a doctors Visit, Labs...just about anything within the City limits.........

Jock ronnie has Butch ronnie convinced now Nelly ronnie is standing there with crossed arms and tapping foot."where do you park it while in the building so nobody takes it?"

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2008, 08:36:22 pm »
LOL I used to chain my moped up to the bike rack. You'd be amazed how many people will allow their children to play with someones moped as if it where a toy.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #185 on: May 24, 2008, 01:33:19 am »
Can you ride mopeds on the freeway? How fast do they go?....do bugs fly in your mouth? :-\

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline bear60

« Reply #186 on: May 24, 2008, 09:06:46 am »
Dinner last night was:
Boneless chicken breast Marsala
fresh asparagus ( with butter)
scoop of cottage cheese for Kurt and mashed potatos for me

Kurts blood work came back yesterday...his triglycerides went up a little from 250 to 325 more or less. But thats still good numbers for him.  His cholesterol is normal.

I think the cottage cheese was a direct response to his triglyceride level going up.  He wants to stay on diet.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2008, 07:35:44 pm »
Can you ride mopeds on the freeway? How fast do they go?....do bugs fly in your mouth? :-\

I wouldn't suggest it. Mine only went 45 mph tops. But they have bigger ones that can go pretty fast. You have to be super careful because people will try to run you over. Just like riding a bicycle.

Bugs never got in my mouth because I wore a face shield. The helmet makes your hair look like crap but it beats a head injury.

There was an accident recently on the news. Story below.
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/651686.html

Offline rondrond

« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2008, 10:22:30 pm »
oh dear...my hair has got to look good when I get where I'm going or I'll be a nervous wreck. :D Maybe they make a BIG plastic bubble that won't flatten my hair, but still protect from injury....I can see this request going through ther PR/HR department of Helmets and shields and them just rolling thier eyes "got another suggestion from a dizzy queen" ::)

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2008, 10:40:37 pm »
Dinner last night was:
Boneless chicken breast Marsala
fresh asparagus ( with butter)
scoop of cottage cheese for Kurt and mashed potatos for me

Kurts blood work came back yesterday...his triglycerides went up a little from 250 to 325 more or less. But thats still good numbers for him.  His cholesterol is normal.

I think the cottage cheese was a direct response to his triglyceride level going up.  He wants to stay on diet.

Good news on Kurts triglycerides. I thought that cottage cheese was like curdled skim milk or something..I don't know, I've never eaten it...I would join you in the mash potatos....
I bought a pack of chicken breast that was HUGE, $13.00...since I am taking calcium tablets, back to 2 percent milk, bulk bag of Honey Nut cherios, for snacking and unsalted mixed nuts. I have popcorn kernels but can't remember if the air popper burned up last year or if it just overheated, it's in some obscure cabinet in the kitchen...checked out the Smart Balance butter and had to put it back, it was $5.58 for a tub and country crock was $1.88  , baby cut carrots, yogurt, bananas ans green tea and then forced myself to the checkout as my total was $51.00....one dollar over budget.

I still have frozen corn, stir fry vegetables and potatos in the freezer and spaghetti and beans in the cabinet and a huge packet of corn tortillas.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2008, 06:20:02 am »
It's Saturday. I did not do yardwork on friday as Katie had a Dr appointment for this UTI she has had for about two weeks now and the pain in her back and arms. She states that she has hurt her back somehow and keeps wanting to show me where it hurts. To which I automatically replied" have you called your Doctor and told him?"...There is nothing I can do about it, but sit here and once again listen to her moan and groan and whine and cry for two weeks and finally, friday, she goes to the doctor. Upon returning she had a prescription for pain pills and antibiotic for UTI. I get up on Saturday morning early as the pharmacy is only open 9-noon on Saturday and I pick it up and give it to her  and go to sleep.....

So, I've backslid to being up almost all night again, and sleeping from about 11am -3pm.  I got up, put on my hiking boots and headed for the backyard. I had charged the 18" clippers and they made a HUGE difference against those dead vines and weeds and now I'm where the honeysuckle vines make their appearance against the fence. I made it to the fence on the left side of yard. I still have to get to that cottonwood tree. I had originally thought that those weeds were 6'5" as they towered over my head, but this is becsue of the mound of dirt surrounding the cottonwood, I had forgot that it was there...a very evil brain cell pulses that after the yard is tamed, I could continue cardio outside by taking a shovel and filling in the hole with that dirt...evil thought..go away.(we may not want that hole filled in, still might have miracle of pool in future for WATER THERAPY.....I was not bothered by mosquitos today as I got out there early enough for the sun to still be in that part of the yard, but the EVIL KALI MA sent another plague to deter me....I kept feeling something running on my legs and as I was sweating profusely, I thought it was sweat. Looking down, I saw spiders....I just brushed them off and kept going, but they were insistant, so I stopped with the clippers, picked up tree limbs that I had uncovered and threw them in 'neigbors'  woods...and got the lawn mower and mowed over the area I had just cleared...."take that KALI MA.."....and went back to the clippers. I was now in the middle of the 'cleavers' and they were doing their best to get those burrs in my socks and the hair on my arms and legs, and the cottonwood has already bloomed its first time for the season....so there were patches of cotton and weeds, and though I have always been allergic to cottonwood, surprisingly, I did not sneeze. I don't know if it is the HIV meds, or the antibiotic I'm on, or my sinuses are cured. The jury is still out , as I have only just noticed it and things could change ...overnight. Then the charge started going out on the clippers so I called it a day. It had been 1 and a half hours, of bending, picking up large branches, swinging upper torso with the clippers and pushing the mower up the dirt mound and then back down...
my face was RED, but I understand that this is a thing for HIVers,  and I was sweating, and was wet, and the shower was wonderful. ....and my hips hurt and my foot and leg are swollen and kinda pulsing and neuropathy is ...neuropathying...so I take my meds and sit under the ceiling fan and give myself about twenty minutes to cool off ...

and I go to the store. I am still at war with my triglycerides and this diet change. Today, I bought a HUGE pack of chicken breasts and no chocolates, or sweets, or cakes or pies....but I did buy lightly salted mixed nuts and honey nut cheerios and animal crackers for snacks and yogurt instead of ice cream. I checked out this butter called Smart Balance, that is supposed to be good at lowering cholesterol and such and after picking it up, saw the price and immediately put it back...$5.58 for a tub..Country Crock $1.88...guess which one I bought..Since I am taking calcium tablets now, I can go back to 2 percent milk and I did not buy any bread as I bought a huge package of corn tortillas...I have to say that I am in real trouble now as everyone on my Group Forum with high triglycerides and cholesterol keep giving me ideas on different meals and everytime they mention a sandwich or a dish, they always state...NO CHEESE...so I am now worried that I am not supposed to be eating cheese..which I put on everything...I have envisioned adding it to my milk, like Nestle chocolate...just kidding..but I guess I now have to cut back on the cheese. (just something else that I love ...snatched away from me)...My next labs are on June 2 and I expect to see a vast improvement. My cholesterol was perfect. My triglycerides were at 400, which is..high.(I googled it)  So we are going to have a lot of grilled chicken breasts as I am getting pretty good with my new Extreme Grill. I've already mastered chicken strip burritos, eggs, crack one open in each well and 3-4 minutes, they're done, both sides, no turning and then scoop them out on a plate and there you have it..no grease, only a quick spray of Olive Oil Spray and it just slides out and cleanup is as advertised, just wipe with a damp cloth. I have also made Monte Cristo sandwiches in it and am working up to doing vegetables. The chicken breasts can also be done in it, just slice them and stuff with whatever and close it and 8 minutes later..you got stuffed chicken breasts.... Dinner was Beef Stroganoff, and I made cheesecake on graham cracker crust for dessert. ..and Katie is still whining and crying and carrying on, and I have to say.."you know, one of those bottles were pain killers"...and she says that she took one and it's not working...tomorrow has to be better...

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline bear60

« Reply #191 on: May 25, 2008, 11:49:29 am »
Ron...
Sounds like your trip to the grocery store was really successful....buget wise anyway!
Last night for dinner Kurt cooked a marinated porlk loin on the gas grill and we had slices of that with steamed broccoli and egg noodles.  Opps...not on his diet...but hey its Memorial Day Weekend and he wanted to cheat. He cheats with two things: egg noodles and rice pilaf. And, oh yea, cheese is not on the diet.  We dont buy cheese for Kurt.  I like jalapeno monterrey jack, which I eat with blue corn tortilla chips(organic).
I commend you on the yard.  Its a good time to do these chores since the weather has stayed moderate in temperature....at least here it has.
Friday I had a crew of young bucks come to rip out my oil heating system in the house.  I had "SEEN THE WRITING ON THE WALL" and decided that this next winter my fuel oil bill was going to double so I had the entire system ripped out and replaced with a natural gas boiler.  (Plus I think the house will sell better with a cleaner heating system).  The ensuing mess was not extreem but..... something that kept the little voice in the head saying things like:  Joel you cant leave the sooty floor like this because thats going to get tracked all over the house.  So I took mop and pail and orange scented cleanser and scrubbed the basement floor.  Then I had to repaint the stairway down to the basement since it was now looking very scruffy.  So that all got done yesterday.  And THEN...I treated myself to a 90 minute massage from a friend of ours who gives incredible deep tissue massages.  I'll tell you last night I didnt need any sleep aid....just took the Ibuprophen before bed and off to sleep I went. I woke up this morning, however, convinced that a friend of ours had been killed in a drive by shooting.  Oh well. I'll call him later to make sure he's ok.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2008, 12:56:17 pm »
.. :D I have decided to go total electric, but it's in stages as I'm cheap and if it aint broke, don't fix it. So, two years ago our unit went out and had a Lennox, all electric unit put in and ...what a difference a new unit made...now the only thing that uses gas is the hot water heater and the stove.

When I get around to cleaning the basement, I plan on taking a wet/dry vac and vacumning it, but I aint scrubbing it..unless there is a crew of young bucks down there and being on my knees while scrubbing might lead to other things ::)

??..did you dream of the drive by shooting and it seemed so real that you need to call him? is this a side effect of meds?...

Well, later,
I haven't even looked outside yet, but it appears to be cloudy...there was a forecast of rain on Memorial Day...
ronnie

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline bear60

« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2008, 01:07:59 pm »
Ron.....Yes the dream was so real I woke up convinced that it really happened. But I am not on any HIV meds. Which is why I am an LTNP.  But after the Wellbutrin and quitting smoking....I have had trouble sleeping.
The only meds I take are: Nexium for the acid reflux and Claritin for the allergies.  And of course I take supplements: vitamin C, a multi and fish oil.
Is your heating system forced air?  Mine is radiators.
Joel

Offline rondrond

« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2008, 11:46:24 pm »
Hey Joel, It's forced air. Every season we have it serviced and when we mention it's down in the basement, I can see the serviceman cringe thinking he's going to be crawling under the house. Then...surprise....

I went to sleep around 11am and got up at 3pm. For the past week, it's like I'm under water and struggling to break the surface before I run out of air and then...I'm jerking awake and forcing myself off the sofa. I haven't slept in my bed for months..since my dog died. I thoroughly cleaned my room and bought new sheets and a new bedspread and pillows and it just sits there...waiting for me.... weird...

Hit the backyard and finally broke through to the cottonwood tree and made a circle around it. Uncovered some very large branches and got a surprise. Last year, after my DVT and I was pretty much 98 percent bedrest...Mom hired some men to do some remodeling and to clean up the backyard. They did pretty good, but they got poison oak, even with us telling them it was back there..made a pile the size of a Volkswagen at the curb of branches and debris and then we never saw them again. My surprise was that they had used a chainsaw to cut the branches into smaller pieces, but lying on the ground I did not notice this until I went to pick them up. So, I got a lot done today now that I have cleared the last patch of those cleavers and am faced with a new challenge. Part of the top of the tree is like it fell straight down and landed at the base of the tree and then fell over, across the fenceline, and caught in a tree. It is very large, and goes into the neighbors yard about 8-10 feet. I am going to need a chainsaw, and having never used one, lessons or help. I think Mom/JW have one and my nephew Robert has one. ..will have to put out an SOS...By then, I hope that the neighbors have taken a hint and do something with their yard or I am going to have to call it in. I don't like calling things in, but Katie has no qualms about it. Since the arrival of West Nile Virus, and with the mosquitoes that attacked me the other day, they really need to mow their yard. The duplex is a rental property. So it is the responsibility of the owner, and this is an issue in our neighborhood as we just got the water bill and there is a 'newsletter' on the neglect of rental properties and how the city intends to crack down on it. But..being a prudent and wise old queen who likes to cover his ass and believing in the philosophy...clean up your own backyard before you start messing with mine...I have to get this fallen tree cut up and out of mine and their yard first.
Boy, it was hot today. I was at it for 2 hours and once again, I have a red face. It is so strange to look down and see one foot and leg white, and the other red/discolored. It's like two people are standing in the same spot. Probably overdid it a little as after taking 6pm  meds I got a burning sensation in my gut that wouldn't quit. After my shower and brushing my teeth, I finally threw up/dry heaves and immediately felt better. Dinner was grilled chicken breast, field peas, and rice with two pieces of buttered french bread, which I couldn't toast in the oven because for some reason, the oven won't light. I smell gas, and put my matchstick wand in there and nothing.??...if it aint one thing its another. ...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 05:50:53 am by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2008, 09:21:55 am »
Don't over do it. Please take lots of breaks and drink plenty of water. Its been in the mid 90's but the heat index makes it feel 100 - 103 degrees out there.
We had a garage sale Saturday. Even though it was cloudy it was freaking miserable. I probably made more money selling drinks than junk.

Offline bear60

« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2008, 11:14:17 am »
Ron
It seems that Texas chainsaw stories do make for interesting reading!! When you finish with your yard, whats next?
I'm sorry to hear you are not sleeping in your bed.  I inherited the most fabulous mattress from our friend Jim when he died.  I think of him every time I get in bed and it is a sort of comfort.  I wish you well since sleep is one thing that we all seem to find difficult.
Here is Kurts list of calories for one day.  He found a book that helps him "count the calories":
Cheerios and milk 2%..          460
Gatorade....                         150
PB Sandwich                        490
2 glasses iced herb tea           260
lunch 9 fishsticks                    522
dinner
chicken                                196
broth                                    2.5
smart balance                         80
olive oil                                  102
cottage cheese                      120
asparagus                                 14
tea                                        130
Snacks
peanuts                                  120
more tea.................................130
PB sandwich                            490
total calories                            3316
Frankly you have to hand it to him that he is as determined as he is to keep his tricglycerides under control.
Last night we all cheated and went to one of our favorite chinese restaurants
Sang Kee Peking Duck house
and we ate lots of great food that is not on our diet. Including: spring rolls and peking duck.
Hope your Memorial Day is fabulous.

Joel

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2008, 03:39:40 pm »
Frankly you have to hand it to him that he is as determined as he is to keep his tricglycerides under control.
Last night we all cheated and went to one of our favorite chinese restaurants
Sang Kee Peking Duck house
and we ate lots of great food that is not on our diet. Including: spring rolls and peking duck.

GASP!  Spring rolls and Peking duck would likely not be as counter-productive in the quest to reduce triglycerides as all of that sweetened tea.  After all, the main culprit in elevate triglycerides isn't fat, but sugar.  If Kurt or you can't stand artificial sweetners, try ground stevia root in about a 1/3 ratio compared to the amount of sugar normallly used.

Best,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline bear60

« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2008, 03:52:21 pm »
David.....
You know I did not understand why his tea came in with so many calories because he DOES use an artificial sweetner.  So I just asked him.  Its the unlisted cran-apple juice he adds in addition to the sweetner that makes the calorie count so high on his glass of tea. 
Kurt really likes his tea sweet.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2008, 12:50:59 am »
Hey, Hey....
Cookie showed up at 8am as she is going out of town today and needed to bathe Katie and change her bedding. I was so sleepy this morning that I went to sleep around 9am and woke up at 230pm. Put on my hiking boots and then I looked out the window and got all excited. Someone is moving into one of the duplexes. New neighbors. And they are white. I haven't figured it out yet as to who is going to be living there. It is a one bedroom. There was a woman in her late 40's to 50's and the male was what I would define as a 'Bubba Bear'...The furniture was....excuse me..running from bathroom window to living room window....umhum...the furniture is new and nice, there is even a grandfathers clock proudly standing against the cab of the truck and it is a new truck, Ford F-150, white. I am remarking on how much furniture there is and those are small duplexes. Another truckload brought a white wicker set and I am really wondering where things are going in there now. As the furniture is  not what I would expect from a Bubba Bear, I am assuming it is hers. She could be his mother, or ..?? who knows...I finally tore myself from being neighborhod watch and....
put on my hiking boots, and hit the backyard. I started in on these 6-7 foot tall bushes along the fenceline that used to to be called 'hedges' and made them look more respectable and continued cutting and shaping hedges all around the fencelines.

After the yard....the fence... is still there. It is wire and has a cable running along the top. It is on the ground where neighbor kids climbed over to get to the pool and then from the branches falling on it. I have always lived in apartments and when there was a problem called "MAINTENANCE"...so am not too acquainted with Manual Labor, but, using my college degree, I see that there are these metal poles with hooks that you 'hang' the fence on which have mysteriously disappeared. I have to buy some and I guess, they can be hammered into the ground, or ..boohoo-boohoo dig a hole and then insert into ground and then pick the fence up and rehang it...piece of cake...only, in my world, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Then the basement needs to be cleaned out and then the deck needs ...help...some minor repairs and then either staining or painting. And you have to perform upkeep on what you've managed to reclaim from nature. I'm now wondering if I'm going to get to see Bubba Bear mowing behind the duplex.. ::) Then, depending if I EVER get a tax stimulus rebate, I can get an Air Climber for cardio workout or just dance in the living room holding onto handweights.  :-\
So, I put in another 2 hours and was good and sweaty, and even mowed the back yard after trimming wild hedges and to set Winiroo at ease, I drank a lot of water, took 6pm meds and again got a burning sensation in my gut....only tonight I immediately ate some unsalted crackers and did not brush my teeth and it finally abated without dry heaving..
Dinner was sauteed chicken breasts, Campbells Select 'soup, Chicken Pot Pie, Rice and buttered french bread which, I got to toast as the oven decided to work tonight. I'm certain that last night I was functioning in my gut spasms and heat induced delirum well enough to work an oven... ::)  and then here comes Katie, in a full blown panic attack because there is a whirring motor running somewhere that controls the back going up and down and it won't shut off and she's backing this chair up to me...and jabbering incoherently.(which always sets my nerves jangling)...."flip a switch, or do this or do that"..and I just snap at her that I am not a mechanic and to just turn the damn thing off. She is the one who sent the new chair away....I don't want to hear it... :-\
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:47:46 am by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.