Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:25:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: friends?  (Read 11428 times)

Offline CalvinC

friends?
« on: July 25, 2022, 10:21:02 pm »

Another personal post -- until I get a new therapist! (See earlier post about this.)

I ran into a former/old friend a month ago. We were very close when we were teens living in a small city, both feeling alienated but ready to dream big. We both moved to the same big city, and after a few years even worked for the same company. Eventually, I went back to school, and our lives took different paths, and we drifted, and.... that was about 30 years ago.

We spoke for a good half hour at the grocery store and set up a dinner date for a couple of weeks later (which was a couple of weeks ago now). And it was pleasant enough 2.5 hours, and we certainly had lots to talk about -- she's almost like family. Yet I found that she was even more herself, the self that I had drifted away from because . . .  well, because we had both grown up and changed. Most of the discussion, I realized afterward, was about her, and intensely so; and that the dinner had been like a therapy session for her. I hardly said much about what I had been up to over the past 30 years, aside from commiserating about a lost love that paralled her situation.

Oddly enough, I found/find that despite my myriad problems and issues, my life seems to be much more open and hopeful and outward-looking than hers. I don't say this to put her down; but rather, I am left wondering how I might be a friend to her. There were, after all, reasons why we drifted apart. To be her friend again would take a lot of work, and I can't help but feel it would be a step backward. I dunno.

Strangely enough -- or perhaps not -- when I tested poz 15 years ago and the guy I was dating left me pronto and I was in a good deal of pain (despite having a wonderful support system in place), I looked her phone number up and called her. And she wasn't home / no answering machine. And i realized later that I was/am glad she didn't answer. I don't think that my searching for answers to my pain should have involved her; I hadn't at that time seen her in 15 years.

At the end of our dinner date I said that we should get together in a couple of weeks, and she was quite amenable. Now the two weeks are up. We didn't say who should call who; but in any case, I haven't called her and vice-versa. I feel frozen. I don't think I want to see her again but I'm not sure what to say to her. "Hey, it was good to see you again; but I'm thinking that maybe we should continue on our separate ways." Do I owe her an explanation, especially when that explanation might be insulting to her, ie, that I don't find her company particularly welcoming?

Cal

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: friends?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 01:58:56 am »
I don't think I want to see her again but I'm not sure what to say to her. "Hey, it was good to see you again; but I'm thinking that maybe we should continue on our separate ways." Do I owe her an explanation, especially when that explanation might be insulting to her, ie, that I don't find her company particularly welcoming?

It had been 30 years without saying anything, and if it was me and I didn't want further contact, I would leave it and say nothing.

You both have pleasant memories of each other from when you were kids, no point in spoiling that.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 02:01:45 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 12:22:12 am »
I agree, Jim.

A simple explanation does the trick.

No, I don't have to do anything now, and I'm pretty sure I won't. Just let it be.

Cal

Offline em

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 12:28:11 am »
I do not know if this story might help . I found a friend I knew thirty years ago. She was the first person I told about my HIV. She walked up to me and said why are you so down ?   I said I just found out I have HIV . She asked when was my birthday? I said in about a month . She had asked if I wanted to go out for dinner I said I did not have much money she said her treat.  Thirty years later I found her on face book. We are friends on Facebook. She now lives on the west coast and I live on the east coast . I see nothing wrong with having friends. But it is up to you  how you feel and if having this person in your life .

this is just one story I am sure others might have some thing to offer about friends ?

you just do what you think is right for you .

all the best to you . 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 12:39:28 am by em »

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 10:51:39 am »
Follow up:

As it turned out, she ended up contacting me, and we went out for a long walk, with a destination, and then a drink. It was, I have to say, better than the first meeting. But I'm still not pushing things along. I figure that any friendship we have has to be built from where we are now, not from friendly feelings of the past and who we were then.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 02:33:41 pm »
I figure that any friendship we have has to be built from where we are now, not from friendly feelings of the past and who we were then.
Thirty years is a long time and people can really change in that time. god knows I'm nothing like the person I was at 30 (that was 30 yrs ago for me). Anybody I would meet now from that time would be a complete stranger to me with only memories of who we used to be together. With that kind of distance in time, this (if this "friendship" of your turns out to be anything) would really be like starting a new friendship when you're just learning about who this person is now.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Loa111

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 02:19:48 am »
I think the likes of Facebook is great for your unsure situation, assuming your friend is on there. It’s a great low maintenance, low friction way of saying in touch with old friends whom you haven’t the energy or time or even desire to meet. A Like of their new pic, a kind comment on pic now and then, & a personal message at birthday or Christmas does the trick. ;) 

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 10:09:20 pm »
I'd agree, Loa -- save for the fact that we live in the same town and have met. But yes, FB is a fine way to reconnect but maintain a perhaps necessary distance.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.