Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2022, 04:47:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 766900
  • Total Topics: 65465
  • Online Today: 123
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 82
Total: 83

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Against all odds, here we all are, and our group keeps getting new members.

What you posted met all the conditions needed to aquire HIV, and the stats you mentioned in your first post are relatively meaningless. If they didn't have HIV, your risk was zero, and the odds are most people with who you have sex with will not have HIV, and if they are living with HIV but successfully on treatment, the risk would also be zero. 

For the sake of the assesment, we presume they are living with HIV without treatment. Now, if they only recently acquired HIV themselves or were at a late stage, your risk could easily be 25 times higher; there would also be a greater risk if, unbeknownst to you, you have any other STIs, even if symptomless.

I could go on, but I don't see the point.

If it were me, I would take the PEP, and it's highly effective at preventing HIV and could save a lifetime of having to take the meds, bills and clinic visits.  However, as mentioned above, it is up to you. I am not going to recommend you take it or don't. 

Thanks for the prompt response Jim, and what you say accords with everything I know about the subject. I know you have probably fielded similar questions a thousand of times by now and appreciate your patience.

I would just be curious, other mods have given more of their opinion on the specific details of an exposure, to try and better describe the risks of the particular exposure, and then to weigh the risk of that against the time, cost (I have a high-deductible insurance plan so I'd probably have to pay full price for PEP), side effects, etc. of a PEP course. I will do this with the doctor of course, though I suspect the average primary care doc lacks the sheer experience you and other mods have on the narrow topic of exposure risk, and would simply say if there's pills to take, take them, even if it is to reduce the risk from like 0.62% to 0.13%.

Would you or any of the other mods be able to opine a bit more on the specifics of this exposure? I know you have a tough job of trying to balance reassuring scared people like myself against the tried-and-true clinical literature and protocols, and also not give any other readers the impression that HIV exposure is a thing to take lightly.
Hiya,

Understand you received oral sex, and during brief intercourse, the condom broke, resulting in condomless penetration. 

So receiving a blowjob lacks the conditions required for acquiring HIV; thus, it makes sense that after nearly 40 years of this pandemic in terms of BJs, there hasn't been a single documented case of HIV transmission to an insertive partner (the person being "sucked"), and you will not be the worlds first.

As for the intercourse, until the condom broke, it protected you against HIV, and as the insertive partner, there is less risk than the receptive partner, but it's still a real-world HIV risk and warrants at least testing to confirm your HIV status.

Taking PEP is up to you; the window to start PEP is within 72 hours of potential exposure, but some clinics will not prescribe once 48 hours have passed. If you decide to take PEP over this potential exposure, test six weeks after completing the PEP course with a blood-draw (lab) HIV antibody test. The result at that time will rarely change, and retesting three months after completing the PEP course generally isn't needed.

Here's what you need to know to reduce your HIV risks:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV still pose a risk for other easier-acquired STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs, including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms; testing is the only way to know.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, which will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be removed.
Do I Have HIV? / Does PEP make sense? Am I accurately gauging my risk?
« Last post by worriedwel99 on Yesterday at 11:57:55 pm »
I thought I was pretty well informed about exposure risks for HIV, but wanted to make sure.

I rarely meet strangers for sex, but yesterday I met a guy for sex and he unexpectedly brought a friend. They both performed oral sex on me, maybe 30 seconds from one guy and 20 seconds from the other. It was not more than one minute total.

The first guy put some lube on my dick and started to pull it towards his anus, no condom. This alarmed me, I stopped him and asked for a condom. He complied and put the condom on my dick. At this point I could not stay hard, the unexpected circumstances and apparently risky behavior was a turn off. The first guy tried to put my half-hard dick, with a condom on, inside him. He applied lube to himself, then for about 10-15 seconds, he tried to get my dick inside. I was only 50% hard and it was a poor angle b/c he is taller than me. He was doing all the movement, and after about 6-7 seconds, he seemed able to fit the top half of my dick inside, and he tried to move back and forth against me. This did not work well, so I pulled away.

That is when I noticed the tip of the condom had broken, the head of my penis had gone through it. This was probably due to him being too rough trying to push my dick inside him and the poor positioning due to height difference. This alarmed me even more, so I just left.

At first I didn't think this amounted to much risk, but then I grew worried, as the mind seems to naturally go toward fearful places.

The two performing a combined maybe 1 minute of oral sex, I would think constitutes negligible risk.

The insertive anal was 10-15 seconds at most, with a condom, and half the time he could not get the tip inside him. Only in the last 5 seconds or so did he actually start grinding himself against my penis, and that is probably the amount of time the condom was broken for. I did not feel any "raw" penetration, my dick was half-limp and could not get deep inside him at all.

I am uncircumcised, which I know raises risk, but I would think this exposure is not the same level of risk as having a fully hard erection, doing insertive anal sex until ejaculation, with a broken or no condom for the duration. I assume "condomless insertive anal" reflects the latter exposure more so than mine, right?

I saw studies showing the HIV conversion rate for "condomless insertive anal" is like 11 in 10,000, which presumably refers to no condom for the duration, and multiple minutes of penetration as opposed to 15 seconds. So I would rate my risk at less than this; would this make sense?

It is now 11:50pm and the encounter took place at 2:30pm. I am doing a video call with a doctor at 9:40am tomorrow to discuss PEP. My first thought was this entire episode is not worth considering PEP. But the fact that we confirmed the condom broke, even if for 5 seconds and only shallowly inside him, worries me. Plus these two individuals seem like high-risk individuals, though we did not discuss their status -- I just left too quickly. Possibly they are on PREP which is why they seemed reckless but I don't know and can't trust them.

I will of course get tested in 6 weeks, but the question is about PEP and whether I am correct in gauging my risk (at least roughly). I'll update this thread with what the doctor says tomorrow, but I suspect he will probably lean towards defensive medicine and say take PEP just to be safe.

P.S.
I read thru this site and found a post where a poster had a similar exposure (though with a female CSW) and was relieved to read multiple moderators describe such an exposure as pretty unlikely to transmit HIV.
Living With HIV / Re: Positive for Covid
« Last post by J.R.E. on Yesterday at 04:48:40 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with Covid and anti virals for them?

HI,

Hope your feeling better. I can only share my experience with you, after testing positive for covid in October.

I was not experiencing low tcells, viral load was underectable. Mine were in the upper 600's range. I am sure you will be fine !

I posted about it in the covid thread, that Jim Provided,  But I will share with you, what they gave me for Covid:

From the Covid thread:

"Ed and I both tested positive for Covid on Monday afternoon, with a home test kit.

We both thought we had seasonal allergies going on. The Oak trees are doing their thing right now. We've been sleeping with the windows open and fans on, because the nights have been wonderful. Been going on for at least 5 days, prior to testing.

No problem with loss of taste or smell. our energy levels are still good, Appetites are great. neither of us have shortness of breath. But we both have some head stuffiness, and very minor intermittent coughs, and sneezing.

Anyway I decided to test, and sure enough both of us are positive for covid.

I private messaged my doctor at the VA, on Monday, and they are sending me:

1. ALBUTEROL 90MCG (CFC-F) 200D ORAL INHL

**INHALE 2 PUFFS BY MOUTH FOUR TIMES A DAY AS NEEDED FOR BREATHING - SHAKE WELL

2.BENZONATATE 100MG CAP

**TAKE ONE CAPSULE BY MOUTH THREE TIMES A DAY AS NEEDED FOR COUGH. (SWALLOW CAPSULE WHOLE. DO NOT CRUSH, CHEW OR DISSOLVE IN MOUTH)

3.GUAIFENESIN 400MG TAB

**TAKE ONE TABLET BY MOUTH THREE TIMES A DAY AS NEEDED FOR CONGESTION

4.METHYLPREDNISOLONE 4MG TAB DOSEPAK,21
   ** TAKE TABLET(S) BY MOUTH DAILY WITH FOOD FOLLOWING ENCLOSED PACKAGE INSTRUCTIONS - FOR COVID INFECTION - (DO *NOT* TAKE ON EMPTY STOMACH).

PS I never used the Albuterol, or the Methlyprednisolone

7 days after testing positive for Covid, We both retested, and the results were negative.

Ray
Forums Gatherings / Re: Holiday meet! Dec 10th.
« Last post by Jim Allen on Yesterday at 03:13:52 pm »
Really looking forward to this :)
Estoy infectado? / Re: DUDA CONDON SALIDO
« Last post by MIKE3510 on Yesterday at 03:11:53 pm »
muchas gracias Jim, estaré tranquilo . saludos-.
« Last post by Jim Allen on Yesterday at 03:05:19 pm »
esta es mi ultima pegunta de este caso, puedo estar tranquilo? saliendo el condón en conjunto con su pene, es decir colgando entonces puedo estar tranquilo que la cabeza estaba protegida?

Ya te había dicho que siguieras con tu vida.
« Last post by MIKE3510 on Yesterday at 03:02:57 pm »
esta es mi ultima pegunta de este caso, puedo estar tranquilo? saliendo el condón en conjunto con su pene, es decir colgando entonces puedo estar tranquilo que la cabeza estaba protegida?
« Last post by Jim Allen on Yesterday at 02:58:52 pm »
El condón, simplemente colgando de tu culo después, ya te he contestado arriba.

Sin embargo, si el condón se despegaba por completo y luego, tenías que buscar en tu trasero para encontrarlo; habría un riesgo.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2022 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.