Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:23:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 291
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 274
Total: 274

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Social Anxiety  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Cpt.Mauzer

Social Anxiety
« on: June 17, 2013, 04:49:56 pm »
I just tested poz earlier this month (won't find out my numbers/start meds till next week).  All things considered, I feel like I'm doing a pretty damn good job at holding things together with the exception of interacting with others in a casual environment.

To make a very long and over-personal story much shorter:
I was bullied in junior high, went through a years of depression/social anxiety.  I suffered in silence and over the past 5 years and have slowly rebuilt myself (I'm 21 btw...probably a good thing to note  :P).  Anyways, I've become quite well at fending off negativity and generally I have been keeping a positive mindset.  However, I went out to a gay bar this past weekend and I was just instantly overwhelmed with this depressive wave.

On top of me generally being shy and not wanting to talk to new people, I felt like I was below everyone else at this bar...like I shouldn't have been there at all.  I wasn't looking to meet anyone, as was just spending the night with a friend who was visiting from out of state, but I couldn't help to feel this way regardless.  Ultimately we left the bar some hours later and I had not talked to a single person the entire time. 

I guess what i'm asking is...if any of you have felt this way, any tips for getting over it?  I know a lot of it will come with time, but at the moment I feel as though the label "damaged goods" is printed on my forehead for any potential romantic interest to see.
6-7-13 Detected
6-10-13 74949 VL CD4 458 (32%)
6-27-13 Started Stribild
7-29-13 VL 29 CD4 731 (31%)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Social Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 05:06:44 pm »
Hi Cpt . You are not alone in feeling the way you do , believe it or not I can still remember what I felt when I first diagnosed , I'm 51 and have been HIV positive for 30 years .

Simply put , I felt like damaged goods for sometime after I was diagnosed . I was concerned that no one would want to be with me on many different levels but I was wrong .

Its understandable that you feel conflicted because you haven't had time to completely process what has happened to you ... I would recommend counseling or therapy , its also a good thing you joined us here so that you can give and get support anytime you feel you want or need it , we will always be here , that's a promise .

Cut yourself a break buddy and know that Rome wasn't built in a day and its going to get better for you in time . I will move this thread out of the mental health forum if you ask me too , what you are going through is something most all of us have been through and that comes with living with HIV .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Cpt.Mauzer

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 05:11:15 pm »
Hey Jeff, thanks for the response, I just kind of dropped this thread here since it seemed most applicable (sorry if it isn't?).  I've actually been wanting to go to therapy for a number of years, but it just hasn't been possible (my parents belong to that group of people that think depression is some made up...thing and therapy is a scam).

On a positive note, however, in two months I'm moving out of my house and going to a university that offers extensive therapy for their students (and fully intend to utilize it). 
6-7-13 Detected
6-10-13 74949 VL CD4 458 (32%)
6-27-13 Started Stribild
7-29-13 VL 29 CD4 731 (31%)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 05:24:25 pm »
Hey Jeff, thanks for the response, I just kind of dropped this thread here since it seemed most applicable (sorry if it isn't?).  I've actually been wanting to go to therapy for a number of years, but it just hasn't been possible (my parents belong to that group of people that think depression is some made up...thing and therapy is a scam).

On a positive note, however, in two months I'm moving out of my house and going to a university that offers extensive therapy for their students (and fully intend to utilize it). 

Your thread is fine right here , I should have been more clear about what I was thinking and that's how you are feeling is very much in line with something most all of us deal with that live with HIV .

Kudos for you wanting to address depression issues and get into therapy , it sometimes takes a person a lifetime to get help for mental health issues . I did what many people do and that's live far too long with unaddressed mental health issues , sure wish I had handled it when I was your age .

Any way , welcome to the forums and cant wait to hear more from you .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:32:09 pm »
Hey Cpt.,

Couldn't have said it better than Jeff.
Just wanted to welcome you here! :)

m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.