Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:35:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 640
Total: 640

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sex Change and Hiv? is it possible?con?pro?  (Read 6299 times)

Offline texasangel071184

• me and toedoe
Sex Change and Hiv? is it possible?con?pro?
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:43:34 pm »
Hi i am just wonder if it possible to get a sex change if your poz? And what are the Pro and Cons? What could i expect if i did? and any other info that would be helpful.
angel
I live, I breath, I defie, I succeed!
who are you to tell me i can't, I can and I will!

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Re: Sex Change and Hiv? is it possible?con?pro?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 05:01:06 pm »
WELL.

I'm a female-to-male transsexual. I'm wondering what your experience with this subject is, as "sex change" isn't really an appropriate way to define the process that a transsexual person goes through. If you have any questions about the subject please ask whatever you like.

Obviously, seeing as how I'm here right now, being HIV+ and medically transitioning is entirely possible. The only issues I can imagine would be having good enough health to go through any surgical procedures you might need and/or hormone therapy. I know one of the things I have to watch out for, being on testosterone therapy, as it is processed through the liver, is making sure to watch my different levels and things as far as my liver enzymes and all that fun stuff goes as certain medications can negatively affect the liver as well, etc.

But it's all about individual circumstances. I see you're from Allentown. I'm from that area, also, although I'm on the other side of the state right now. You should check out the Trans Health Conference in Philadelphia. There's one in July.
http://www.trans-health.org/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:03:44 pm by Mouse »

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:36:57 pm »
I am also a transman (aka female to male transsexual). I am poz and have had upper body surgery and take hormones. Some surgeons will not operate on HIV positive people for elective procedures, for example a surgeon I was looking at in Belgrade for lower surgery had that, but a lot of them do. There are considerations with transitioning that being poz just adds a bit more complication too, but for me, I didn't have a choice. It was either become on the outside the man I always was on the inside, or continue to suffer such misery that at some point I would have probably killed myself. There are plenty of poz trans people out there, and if transitioning is the right decision for you, don't let your HIV diagnosis get in the way of your peace and happiness :D.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline texasangel071184

• me and toedoe
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 11:39:38 pm »
i often thought about it and don't know  much about it. sorry about the wrong termonolgy.
I live, I breath, I defie, I succeed!
who are you to tell me i can't, I can and I will!

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 02:27:51 am »
i often thought about it and don't know  much about it. sorry about the wrong termonolgy.

Well, then I'd have to suggest looking more into the subject before worrying yourself over how HIV relates to it. If you're transgender or transsexual, then that is the first thing you're going to want to address for your mental health before worrying about physical transition.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:17:29 pm »

Sex reassignment, sex change or whatever the terminology currently in vogue, is a long process.

As Mouse suggests, it would be best to start on psycho-social issues before becoming too concerned about the physical changes involved.

That said, if it something you decide is right for you, then pursue it regardless of your HIV status.

In other words, don't let HIV stop you from doing something with your life that you really want to do.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 01:51:22 pm »
Sex reassignment, sex change or whatever the terminology currently in vogue, is a long process.

Ahem gender reassignment.

Freaky "not a trannymal just an animal" Dream

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 12:07:01 pm »
Ahem gender reassignment.

Freaky "not a trannymal just an animal" Dream

It depends who you talk to. I only really object to the word "sex change" as it suggests that one is changing from female to male or male to female or what have you. In my case, I feel as though I've always been male, so it's the people around me that are really having the "sex change". Also, it suggests that there is one magical surgery that occurs that changes one from a girl to a boy and anyone with any sense knows that's laughable and that the situation is much more complicated than that.

But if gender refers to the social characteristics that you display and sex refers to the physical characteristics you display, then I'd probably use sex-reassignment rather than gender-reassignment when you're talking about surgery or hormone replacement (or your sex in regards to your hormonal "sex", which obviously changes after HRT), as my gender hasn't changed at all or rather it's just become, by necessity, congruent with the body that my brain tells me I should have. If we're talking about chromosomal or biological sex or any of those things then that's an entirely different story.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.