Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:21:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 231
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I Finally Got Some Trazodone  (Read 23011 times)

Offline RobbyR

I Finally Got Some Trazodone
« on: January 24, 2013, 05:36:06 pm »
Today I saw my GP and we discussed my sleep issues. She agreed to give me some Trazodone at last! I am looking forward to trying it and seeing if it helps me have more restful nights. I am hopeful because I've heard good comments about it on here. I know it is actually an older anti-depressant (not an ssri thank god) but it is mostly used today for sleep. The pharmacist at cvs actually told me they don't make the name brand anymore, so I got the generic. She said to make sure I allow 8 hours if I am going to take it. It says to take it with food, so not sure how I will do that at night because I have to take my atripla on an empty stomach. Maybe a light snack will do.

How long before bed should I take it? Being a non-ssri, hoping it doesn't have the nasty sexual side effects some of them have, so hopefully I won't have to worry about my penis going awol lol. She only gave me a 30 day supply, so hoping it works for me. Any risk of tolerance issues with it?
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: I Finally Got Some Trazodone
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 06:09:08 pm »
Trazodone is my wonder drug . I take it about 30 minutes before bedtime and sleep all night on just 50 mg of it . It also works very well for my depression and pain issues .

Expect the best and perhaps it will work as well for you . Best of luck ! .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:58:09 pm »
Thanks jg, I am hopeful, I've heard super reviews about Traz on here! I'm just glad I have something to help me sleep when I need it, and not have to worry about Ambien/Lunesta, definately will avoid those like the plague! I'll probably have to get some refills if works as well as I'm hoping! Any sexual side effects from it?

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:11:51 pm »
I've taken Ambien and Lunesta with no issue, but they are not intended and never were as far as I know for chronic sleep issues. Or at least that was the case when they first came on the market. I'm sure some doctors write scripts for that. I used to take them on trans-Atlantic flights when I needed enough sleep to function once the plane landed.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:31:11 pm »
Thanks jg, I am hopeful, I've heard super reviews about Traz on here! I'm just glad I have something to help me sleep when I need it, and not have to worry about Ambien/Lunesta, definately will avoid those like the plague! I'll probably have to get some refills if works as well as I'm hoping! Any sexual side effects from it?

Trazodone is not known to have any sexual side effects except for possible prolonged erections that Im aware of . I think you indicated in other threads you were in need of an antidepressant . Please keep in mind that there is no one pill thats right for all people scenario when it comes to treating anxiety and depression . At some point you are going to have to take a leap of faith and try a medication for awhile to see if its right for you . You seem very worried about sexual side effects , don't be . If by chance you have a side effect of any sort it will only be short lived and you will be no less off had you not tried anything at all .

If the doctors offer you treatment , chill out , relax and try it . It couldn't possibly be any worse than the anxiety you are having already .

Im just trying to be honest with you so please don't misread my tone , you are doing the right thing reaching out for help .
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:33:59 pm by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WestSide

• Living and Learning
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 12:50:15 am »
I like it.  It just causes eye dryness and constipation with me.  Now that I've been diagnosed with HIV I have had to up my dosage to sleep through the night.  I don't notice it doing anything for me as far as an AD.  I do notice some dizziness with it.  Before I was diagnosed I would only take 1/4 of a pill to sleep through the night otherwise I would feel tired the next day.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:56:43 am by WestSide »
06/10/13 CD4 611 % 40.3 VL UD / CD8 493 % 32.5
03/07/13 CD4 570 % 38.8 VL 24 / CD8 634 % 43.1
02/01/13 Started Meds: Stribild
01/07/13 CD4 389 % 42.3 VL ?   / CD8 407 % 44.2
12/10/12 CD4 264 % 31.6 VL 25.7K

Race: White (Italian/Welsh)
Orientation: Gay

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 06:01:53 pm »
Trazadone is an anti-depressant.  It used to be prescribed as Deseryl.  It works very well for sleep and I would not worry about tolerance.  A lot of doctors use it for addicts who have sleep issues. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:47:11 pm »

How long before bed should I take it?  Any risk of tolerance issues with it?

I take 100mg approx 15 minutes before I intend to fall asleep, it hits me pretty fast and does an amazing job getting me under (which was my problem). I've been on it for 4 or 5 years, and the same dose still works excellent for me. I am "allowed" to take 200mg but have never had to go up to that.

I think you will do well and be very pleased with it. Congrats and Sleep tight!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 05:48:00 pm »
I take 100mg approx 15 minutes before I intend to fall asleep, it hits me pretty fast and does an amazing job getting me under (which was my problem). I've been on it for 4 or 5 years, and the same dose still works excellent for me. I am "allowed" to take 200mg but have never had to go up to that.

I think you will do well and be very pleased with it. Congrats and Sleep tight!

-Will

WillyWump, my issue also has been falling asleep and dayum that Trazodone don't mess around, I was out like a light on it and I just sliced the 50 mg in half to start and it worked on me. Do you have to take yours every night or only as needed? My doc didn't write me any refills, but if this round keeps working for me, I will definately ask for some! I am also considering changing regimens so maybe I won't need the Trazodone ultimately!  8)

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:49:23 am »
WillyWump, my issue also has been falling asleep and dayum that Trazodone don't mess around, I was out like a light on it and I just sliced the 50 mg in half to start and it worked on me. Do you have to take yours every night or only as needed? My doc didn't write me any refills, but if this round keeps working for me, I will definately ask for some! I am also considering changing regimens so maybe I won't need the Trazodone ultimately!  8)

Isnt it great! its like getting hit over the head with a shovel but without the pain.

I take it every night, have so for years. still works like a charm.

Hope you continue to get some nice sleep. ;)

-WIll
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:14 am »
I was talking to a friend the other day and his sister in law takes trazodone twice a day . I suppose she has developed a tolerance for it because I would be a zombie if I took it during the day .

Its a long story that I wont go into that keeps my on Atripla but if not for trazodone I was only sleeping well about 2 or 3 times a week and the lack of sleep played havoc with my life , I always had a fear of planning anything because I never knew if I was going to feel rested enough to enjoy it .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 05:28:00 pm »
Trazodone is a great thing it has been a lifesaver for me! I am probably going to be starting a new PI regimen and ditching my NNRTI regimen which I suspect has fucked my sleep up to begin with. I noticed they have a  slight chemical smell to them in the bottle but hell I don't care because they sure do the job!  ;)

What I am currently wrestling with is whether to in fact ditch my NNRTI Atripla which has worked well for me in every way other than sleep issues, to try an unknown PI regimen, in hopes that I might not need the Trazodone eventually, or just stick with the Atripla and use the Trazodone for sleep. That's what I have to decide before my next appointment. I'm leaning to ditching Atripla and trying a PI. Trazodone is amazing!

zzzzzzzzzz makes me sleepy just thinking about it  8)

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 07:40:10 am »
Ditch the Sustiva. It's not like the PI combo you're considering is untried and untested. It has a VERY good track record and few side-effects.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 05:14:37 pm »
I'd been taking klonipin for anxiety and sleep issues but thanks to this thread got my psych doctor to give me a trazedone scrip! I liked the quality of sleep i got with the klonipin but was apprehensive about taking it nightly since it's habit forming and all that. hopefully i like the trazedone :)
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 06:12:50 pm »
Hey texan, glad you got some traz. It has really helped me! In fact it has been a lifesaver helping me good restful sleep again. And you're right, unlike klono and some benzos or ambien it isn't habit forming. It has to be one of the best meds ever invented! I have been using it as needed and it has restored my peace of mind at nighttime! :)

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 03:44:33 pm »
ive just been taking half of a pill (.25 mgs) but i feel distinctly hung over the day after i take it? when i take a whole pill, my head is pounding the whole next day. i definitely falla sleep quickly but...is this normal? its also brought back some of my sleep walking problems.
1/13 $tribild

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 03:58:45 pm »
Trazodone didn't work for me and have been on Mirtazapine for the past several years and only to take it as needed. Don't give up if one medication does not work for you.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 12:51:56 pm »
I took Mirtazapine (Remeron) for years and it works well for sleep and depression, but it eventually makes most people gain weight, and not just a little weight. At the time I had HIV wasting issues so the weight gain was welcomed, but eventually it just never stopped. I could literally eat half of an entire apple pie for dessert, after a massive meal.

I need to sort something out with sleep, as I've avoided the issue for years not wanting to take a pill for it and since I don't work it doesn't matter so much as long as I schedule any appointments for afternoons, but I must admit it's become frustrating not being able to sleep until 4 AM and then waking up at 9 or 10 AM. It's just not enough sleep so then I end up napping for an hour around 6 PM and the cycle never stops. It's hard just to go see a movie because I fall asleep half of the time.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 07:36:14 pm »
ive just been taking half of a pill (.25 mgs) but i feel distinctly hung over the day after i take it? when i take a whole pill, my head is pounding the whole next day. i definitely falla sleep quickly but...is this normal? its also brought back some of my sleep walking problems.

Hmmm. I've never had these issues on Traz.

If these are occuring I would talk to your doctor about switching to something else. Like Rod says, dont give up just because one doesn't work for you.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 10:49:59 am »
Ive done some research and apparently most sleeping pills are used to treat sleepwalking but can also cause it. Isn't that funny? I sleepwalk so rarely i didnt even mention it to my psych doctor since i was mainly focusing on my anxiety keeping me from sleeping. I definitely freaked out the guy I just started seeing the other night when he woke up to me wandering around his apartment babbling incoherently...
1/13 $tribild

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 05:26:02 pm »
I have some Trazadone in my cupboard and may give it another try this weekend.  I don't have problems getting to sleep, it's staying asleep that is my problem.  Plus I've done some weird things in my sleep, like burning my arm, which required Silvadene cream, waking up with my leg all scratched up, and a few nights ago I woke up, sitting straight up, with my legs over the side of the bed.  I have no idea how these things happen and my doctor told me without someone being here to verify, it's hard to say if I'm walking in my sleep. 

So anyway, I may give the Traz another try.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 05:41:04 pm »
I have some Trazadone in my cupboard and may give it another try this weekend.  I don't have problems getting to sleep, it's staying asleep that is my problem. 

Betina, have you tried taking Intermezzo? It's a new medication for people who specifically wake up in mid-sleep. It was just FDA approved in the past year.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 05:38:51 am »
Betina, have you tried taking Intermezzo? It's a new medication for people who specifically wake up in mid-sleep. It was just FDA approved in the past year.

No I haven't tried it Ms. P, but have seen the ads.  I would have to ask my doctor about that one.  He's hesitant to prescribe meds that act like Ambien, Lunesta etc due to my addiction issues.  I've just read that Intermezzo is kind of in the same class as those.  I did try Rozerem but it didn't work. 

I really would like something to take long term since I don't see this insomnia going away any time soon.  At least while menopause is happening.

Ms P, have you run the gauntlet of sleep meds?  What you experience sounds awful, and similar to what was happening to me when I took Isentress.  Is there anything (besides Remeron) that you can use? 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 11:14:58 am »

Ms P, have you run the gauntlet of sleep meds?  What you experience sounds awful, and similar to what was happening to me when I took Isentress.  Is there anything (besides Remeron) that you can use? 

Actually if you're referring to that period of nightmares I was having a month or two ago that all suddenly stopped. I still have insomnia issues at times but I think that's more "me" than the medication. By that I mean when I go home to visit my parents and am not so much on a computer or using my smartphone it's less of an issue (still there, but cut by half let's say) and I can get to sleep at a decent hour. So that's why I still hesitate to take a sleep med, but may end up going that route eventually anyway.

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 08:30:23 pm »
Trazodone is great as well if you need to reestablish your sleeping pattern again. I had a hard time sleeping after having gone from a graveayard shift to a regular shift and used Trazodone to correct my sleeping times. The only catch as has been mentioned, is that you can grow tolerant to it. In addition if you quit cold turkey you can have a rebound effect. I ended up tapering my doses each night by cutting them into even smaller pieces each time. Was fine within two weeks and without the need for anymore Trazodone.

Offline gadawg1979

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2013, 10:31:36 pm »
It is an amazing drug and helps keep life normal.
Diagnosed March 2012
Initial CD4- 156 VL 200K (started Complera) Genotype test no resistance
First labs on meds CD4- 246 VL 2K Taken after 30 days on Complera
90 Day labs VL 306 No CD4 Drawn
8/21/2012 CD4 474 VL Undetectable (40) %20.6
11/27/2012 CD 4 522 VL Undetectable (40)
2/14/2013 CD 4 464 VL Undetecable (30) 19.6%
6/8/3013 CD 4 528 VL Undetectable (30)
9/24/2013 CD 4 546 VL Undetectable (40)
1/30/2014 CD4 560 VL Undetectable (40) 22 %
6/19/2014 CD4 584 Vl Undetecable (30)

Offline johnboy2015

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 04:00:15 pm »
I've been on Trazadone for years.  It has helped me sleep soundly enough to where I can ACTUALLY remember dreams that I have.  Before Trazadone I had sleeping problems.  Eventhough the med is NOT an antidepressant it functions similar to meds for seizures and brain activity stabilizers.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 04:19:05 pm »
I've been on Trazadone for years.  It has helped me sleep soundly enough to where I can ACTUALLY remember dreams that I have.  Before Trazadone I had sleeping problems.  Eventhough the med is NOT an antidepressant it functions similar to meds for seizures and brain activity stabilizers.

Welcome to the forums . Trazodone is an antidepressant other than that I agree it is a great drug for many of us that need it  .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 02:27:19 pm »
I no longer take Trazodone I found out I had a bad reaction to it it made me really sick but what helps me a lot now for sleep is good old Melatonin from the drug store, about 3-6mg per night, the extended release is good and has no side effects that I notice. My doctor approves of it. And also I take Mirtazipine for sleep it really is a miracle and doesn't make me physically sick like Trazodone did.

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline weasel

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 01:35:35 pm »
I no longer take Trazodone I found out I had a bad reaction to it it made me really sick but what helps me a lot now for sleep is good old Melatonin from the drug store, about 3-6mg per night, the extended release is good and has no side effects that I notice. My doctor approves of it. And also I take Mirtazipine for sleep it really is a miracle and doesn't make me physically sick like Trazodone did.

Hi RobbyR  , Nice to meet you  :)

Sorry you had a bad issue with Trazadone , I've been taking it for 10 years now .
    With every drug change I have hoped that I could sleep naturally , but I do not .
     Last week I went three days with out Trazadone , on the forth night I went to sleep
   at 9:30 O'Clock PM   and was wide awake at midnight  :(
     So I am back taking 150 mg  and it works well .   
   JohnBoy2015 , Nice to meet you too  :)
       I agree , dreams are wonderful and I remember most of them  ;)
     It's a nice side effect .

Hi BT65     I used to have night frights ; similar  to sleep walking , I have not had an episode
   in many many years Thank GOD !   They were very creepy .

Hoping everyone is sleeping well ,
                                                                                                                      Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline drewm

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2015, 03:52:44 pm »
Trazadone knocked me out quickly and I slept, sound, for 8 hours. Sadly, it left me really groggy for the whole next day and I stopped after two attempts at using it. I really hope it works for you.
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.