Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:22:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 509
Total: 509

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: IS TAKING A MULTIVITAMIN + MINERAL PILL EVERY DAY REALLY BENEFICIAL?  (Read 9798 times)

Offline UK_SL

Hey guys and gals, just a quickie here - Is it really beneficial to be taking a multivitamin and mineral pill? I also take echinacea to boost my immune system, but am I just wasting my time.
I've read some recent studies that suggest that their is no benefit and actually might even be bad for you?

What's everyones take on this subject?
05/10/2009 ~ DIAGNOSED, CD4 = 8
22/10/2009 ~ CD4 = 11/VL = 430,000, STARTED ATRIPLA and SEPTRIN
26/11/2009 ~ CD4 = 121/VL = 840
22/12/2009 ~ CD4 = 184 (6%)/VL = 340
11/03/2010 ~ CD4 = 177 (12%)/VL = 72
01/07/2010 ~ CD4 = 247 (12%) VL = 76
20/01/2011 ~ CD4 = 350 / VL = 29

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: IS TAKING A MULTIVITAMIN + MINERAL PILL EVERY DAY REALLY BENEFICIAL?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:53:41 am »
You should definitely, at the very least and probably before anything else, take a multivitamin.  I'm surprised your doctor hasn't suggested this.

Echinacea is not at all recommended for people with immune disorders:

http://www.thebody.com/content/art6034.html

Please discuss these issues with your doctor so you can avoid such mistakes in the future!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:55:04 am »

Echinacea is not at all recommended for people with immune disorders:

Please discuss these issues with your doctor so you can avoid such mistakes in the future!

I agree,  Drop the Echinacea. I take a multivitamin daily, and have for quite a long time.  Here's a little from the lessons :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Nutrition_4988.shtml

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline darkerpozz

• I'll be with you in a sec...
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 02:54:56 am »
I agree also, but read the labels and get one that has what you may be lacking become an aid in your battle. If your diet is good you may only need certain vitamins.  check for deficiencies and go from there...   

Offline tash08

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:59:59 pm »
Hi, I took Echinacea when I was first diagnosed I didn't realize that it could be dangerous for positive folks. After taking it for 2 weeks, I started getting muscle aches all over my body. I believe that while it may be fine for healthy people or at least people without immunological health conditions it may over stimulate your immune system and cause more damage than good. Multivitamin without iron is a good choice.
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 12:01:01 am »
yes, take a multivitamin. diet changes daily, and many days i lack fresh vegetables, especially.

a multivitamin offers your body most or all it may need; the excess you just pee out (darker the pee, the more you "overdosed" on vitamins).

-steven (aka   8)  megasept)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 12:38:20 am »
I take two adult gummi vitamins a day, more or less, with my meds. That's it. And to be fair, I also try and eat a balanced diet. I am aware that the vast majority of my nutritional needs are going to be met through food and sunlight.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 08:22:30 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a different brand of multivits. I used to take GNC Mega Men, but since their prices kept going up, I want a switch.  >:(

Has anyone tried the brand, NATROL, Take One Multivitamin? http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-438-natrol-my-favorite-multiple-no-iron-take-one-60-tablets.
I looked at many brands (eg, Centrum Silver) and most are pretty low on the ingredients. Any recommendations beside Natrol*?

Thanks! :-*

*PS: The customer service at maker, Natrol, SUCKS and their prices are much higher than the link above, but the product ingredients seem ok. Sigh.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:29:08 pm by Merlin »
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
I take a multivitamin everyday.  It is indeed beneficial.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.