Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:46:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 588
Total: 588

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: In Memory of Father Juniper.  (Read 11721 times)

Offline SinCity_East

In Memory of Father Juniper.
« on: September 25, 2008, 10:07:09 am »
My uncle, Father Juniper, was one of the first people I'd ever loved in my life. He baptized my twin sister and I and never missed a family holiday gathering. I remember his quick wit and fun-loving personality because it was much like my father's (his brother). He loved my sister and I as if we were the children he never had. Just to make us laugh, he'd parade around in the plastic grass-fashioned Easter hats that my sister and I made for school and sneak up behind us during dinner so we could all laugh when we spit out our milk. He made his brother priests agree to get a dog, Trixie, so we could have one to play with when we went to visit him in New York. He was just an all-around beautiful individual. I found out that my uncle was sick when I was five years old. We went to visit him one last time that year and I noticed that he did look very sick. My family and the other friars had to help him shower, go to the bathroom, and get dressed. He had marks all over his face and his cheeks, which were usually rosy, looked sunken and bereft of color. My dad told my sister and I that he was dying of cancer. Since we'd already lost relatives to cancer, we didn't question it. He died on July 4th of the following year, in the arms of his Franciscan brothers. He was only 33 years old.

Years later, when I was fifteen, I was having dinner with my dad when we started talking about my uncle and how much he's missed. At that point, my father decided to tell me that the cancer my uncle died of was AIDS related and that he'd contraced it in the 1980's. I was overwhelmed...by god, my uncle was a PRIEST! Then I began to think of the benevolence of his Franciscan brothers, his parish, and his diocese who set aside their judgements even knowing that he was gay and had contracted AIDS...how they moved him to a home in the mountains and took care of him until his death, how they cared for my family's well-being in the time after his passing. If there is such a think as "Christlike behavior", they certainly demonstrated it and I'll always be grateful to them.

Father Juniper, Uncle Mike, I miss you and love you.

Your niece
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:10:11 am by SinCity_East »

Offline MYSTERY

Re: In Memory of Father Juniper.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:35:24 pm »
It sounds like your Uncle was a very special person that had a very strong devotion and commitment to Jesus Christ. May God shed his mercy on your uncle and grant him life everlasting in His arms. I will pray for your Uncle and God Bless your whole family.
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:32:56 am »
What a special story and a proof humanity is still here.

Love

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Graywolf

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:38:31 pm »
Your uncle sounds like a rare and special person. I always found the Franciscan order to be very compassionate. There were Franciscans here that ministered to gay men with AIDS when nobody else wanted anything to do with them. The Franciscans and Jesuits did more to feed, comfort and counsel people with AIDS than the other churches.

It is refreshing to see clergy who exemplify Christ's spirit than those who spew scripture. Your uncle was fortunate to have such are surrounding him.
"If we don't learn to live as brothers, we will perish as fools" - Dr martin Luther King Jr

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.