Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:06:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 171
Total: 171

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oral Sex  (Read 8370 times)

Offline concernedguy

Oral Sex
« on: May 16, 2007, 01:04:51 pm »
Hi guys,

Three weeks ago I performed unprotected oral sex on another guy whose HIV status I did not know.  This was my first and only sexual experience.  The oral sex lasted for a few minutes at the most and he did not ejaculate.  I didn't see any precum on his penis but I can't be 100% sure that there was none.  I know that acquiring HIV from oral sex is low risk but is it possible I became infected through a small amount of precum that I didn't see entering a cut in my mouth?  My oral health is good and I didn't have any noticeable cuts or bleeding gums in my mouth at the time.  Do I need to test over this incident or can I move on?

I'd really appreciate your advice.

Thank you

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Oral Sex
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 03:14:14 pm »
Concerned, I would say you are worrying needlessly and no, you don't need to get tested in relation to this incident.

If you haven't already done so, please read our lesson on transmission (as well as the one on testing). The link is in the welcome thread which opens this section.

Despite the very few anecdotal reports of transmission via giving oral, there is solid data that supports giving oral not being risky. This infor is  via longterm studies of sero-discordant couples, (both gay and straight), who had lots of protected intercourse and lots of unprotected oral. Bad oral care and other factors including faulty memory for various reasons may have played a part in the reported cases of oral transmission.

As long as you excercise care in terms of not giving oral when you have an open wound or sore in your mouth or bleeding gums, it shouldn't be a problem.

Since you are apparently just becoming sexually active I urge you to go at a pace you are comfortable with. And don't do anything you aren't comfortable with. Most especially of all make sure that if you are having intercourse whoever is the insertive partner is always wearing a condom.

This time out you don't have any cause for concern.

Cheers,   
Andy Velez

Offline concernedguy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 01:39:19 pm »
Andy,

Thank you so much for your advice.  It's really helped put my mind to rest. I know my concern maybe seemed a little irrational but I guess the combination of guilt over the incident and also reading comments that there had been documented cases of HIV transmission through receptive oral sex without ejaculation threw my imagination into overdrive.  Thanks once again and I have read the lessons too.

All the best to you

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 04:14:18 pm »
Guy, I'm glad you found our exchange to be helpful.

Becoming active sexually can be very exciting and also scary and challenging. So go at the pace that is right for you. As long as you consistently follow safer sex guidelines you'll be ok as far as HIV is concerned. Take your time as you explore what is right for you.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline concernedguy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 01:47:29 pm »
Hi,

I'm sorry for posting again after so long.  I thought I'd gotten to grips with my initial concerns about the incident described above but it seems I'm having some fearful/paranoid moments again.  It all stems from something I read the other day about giving blood and oral sex.  It says guys who have taken part in oral sex with another guy even once is barred from giving blood.  I did this, once, the incident descirbed above, and Im not going to do it again, but I think that's ruled me out of being a donor.  I know Andy says I have no cause for concern but does the fact that I'm not allowed to give blood have something to do with HIV and the fact that I may be infected from this incident? I'm so sorry for raising this again but is my incident really no risk.  Thank you

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 01:52:02 pm »
These are policies with the blood banks. Did you bother to take a look at all the other reason to be defered from giving blood.

Offline concernedguy

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 01:55:53 pm »
Yeah there was a checklist but I just assumed that the reason a guy who has had oral sex with another guy is banned has something to do with HIV.  I mean, I only did this once.  I've never tested over it even though it's almost five months, but should I have done so? 

Offline concernedguy

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 03:02:07 pm »
Please, can anyone verify whether I should have got tested or not back then?  I'm getting really worried here.  Is there a possibility I may have been infected with HIV?  Can someone put my mind at rest?  I haven't felt like this in months, but I'm really panicking over this.  Sorry to be a nuiscance. Please can someone help?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 03:06:11 pm »
You were never at risk and you don't need to test. End of Story.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 06:02:49 pm »
Concerned,

If you're a sexually active adult, you should be having a full sexual health check up at least once a year and more often if you're very active or if unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse occurs.

A full sexual health check up isn't limited to hiv. You should be testing for all the other STIs as well, because they are FAR more easily transmitted than hiv.

Get a routine test and get it over with. As long as you have always used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, you can be confident of a negative result.

But a positive result over a blow job? No. .

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline concernedguy

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 03:25:09 am »
Ann and Rapid Rod,

Thank you for your response.  I know I'm probably worrying over nothing.  This few minutes of oral without ejaculation is the only thing 'sexual' I've ever done and I've not been sexually active either before or since.  Do I still need to have the check up done including a HIV?  Sorry for asking possibly stupid questions.  Would it also be ok for me to give blood or is that a definite no?  Thank you so much for your help.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 03:33:00 am »
Concerned,

If this hummer is the only sexual thing you've done then no, HIV testing isn't warranted. Nevertheless some other STI's can be transmitted via unprotected oral and so a full STI screen is probably a wise idea. I don't expect you to test positive for anything, but it can't hurt to find out.

As for blood donation, well most countries prohibit homosexually active males (that's you kiddo) from donating.

MtD

Offline concernedguy

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 07:03:08 am »
Thanks Matt for your response. 

What other STDs should I be concerned about?  It's been over four months since the incident in question. Would I have noticed any symptoms by now?  Just another question about HIV.  Have there ever been any documented cases of contracting it via oral sex without ejaculation.  I didn't think there had been but then I've read stuff to the contrary.  Is it a real risk or a theoretical one?  Thank you

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 07:12:30 am »
I'll deal with your second question first.

There are no documented cases of HIV transmission from performing unprotected oral on a man. The risk is theoretical because of some unsubstantiated anecdotal cases which are hotly contested.

As for which STDs, well you should discuss that with your doctor. The easiest option is to have a full screen which gets 'em all. But two that are notably transmitted via oral (both ways) are chlamydia and gonorrhoea. A syphilis serology is advisable as well. The relevant incubation/window periods for those diseases is a question you should also direct to your doctor.

MtD

Offline concernedguy

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 12:47:02 pm »
Hi guys,

As you suggested Matt I went to a local centre for young people and got a full screening done.  I had 2 samples of blood taken, a urethral swab, a urine sample and a mouth swab.  I was panicking a little so I didn't ask all the questions I should have done.  I take it that the samples of blood are for HIV and Syphilis?  they told me that they will only contact me again if there is a problem with one of my tests or something showed up, but that it could take up to 21days!  I'm panicking every time I receive an SMS that it may be from them.  Am I worrying needlessly over this? I keep reading the figure 1 in 10000 for contraction of HIV through oral sex and I'm so worried I might be that one person, despite the briefness of the incident!  One other thing about the test. If I hear nothing, is it 100% reliable? Would I have to have a second test to double check.  Sorry guys if my questions seem stupid, I'm so worried about everything.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 01:19:49 pm »
con,

In most countries you have to sign a form when taking an hiv test.

We don't have a crystal ball with which to tell you what tests were performed on you - if you want to know, you'll have to ring the clinic and ask.

The second test you speak of is probably the Western Blot - any positive ELISA (the standard hiv test) MUST be confirmed with a positive WB. Read the Welcome thread and follow the Hiv Testing lesson link.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline concernedguy

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 01:43:59 pm »
Thank you Ann for replying.

I had to fill out a form before taking the tests with my contact details etc. The lady said the blood was for Syphilis and HIV.  I had a full screen.  I'm just worried about the reliability of the test.  If I test negative, would I have to do another test to make sure?  I'm sick with worry and I don't know how I'm going to survive up to 3 weeks waiting for a possible phone call to tell me that I may have tested positive.  I also have another question about my risk.  I know the lessons  pages say that ratios don't come into much as far as HIV is concerned, but when it says 1 in 10,000 for episodes of unprotected oral sex, is that with or without ejaculation?  I'm so worried that this few minutes of oral which I regret so much may have given me HIV. Thanks for your help

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 01:50:44 pm »
con,

If you're still worried about the blowjob that happened all the way back in May, a negative result will be conclusive. You say that was your one and only sexual experience and if this is still the case, I'll save you the wait and tell you your result right now - negative.

And if the woman told you the blood test was for hiv and syphilis, why bother asking us?

You're worrying needlessly over this blowjob. Seriously. It's time you moved on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.