Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:45:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 203
Total: 203

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Yet another guy with HIV anxiety  (Read 13829 times)

Offline Tabul Rasa

Yet another guy with HIV anxiety
« on: July 31, 2006, 05:51:11 pm »
As many other (gozillion maybe ?!) readers of this forum I am worrying too much. I know that. However...this knowledge doest help to relief my anxiety at all !!!

To Whom Who Has Some Patience Left for this type of questions:

I had a "massage" at Asian massage parlor on May 10th... Protected oral...protected vaginal (15 seconds - I got embarrassed suddenly and stopped). Condom was intact  - as far as I can tell - I took it off and left the establishment.
My concern is that when she put it on me she:
1) Had it already out of the packaging (I did not see her open the condom pack at all)
2) Probably (actually most definitely) had some of her vaginal secretions on her fingers that touched my penis.
Good Stuff: When I took the condom off she was scared because she thought that I was going to continue without it... I guess it was a good sign that she was not infected with HIV and was HIV aware (well as much as one can expect from a pro).

My anxiety began when I read online that swallen lymth noded are indicators of early HIV... (I had one neck lymph swallen PRIOR (I beleive) the encounter because of sudden cold weather in my city (was driving twith open windows).

I tested on the 5th week (OraSure swab) - negative
I tested on the 8th week (OraSure swab) - negative. The councelor at AIDS center looked at me and said: " What the hell are you doing here again? son ?". - Well... I dont know...I just cant sleep...Every single minute of my existance I calculate the odds of me being infected with HIV...Every single minute I am scared shitless that my beautiful wife is infected too. That I killed her and our future. I cant escape the feeling.

Being a medical student doesnt help me at all... So many conroversal opinions over reliability of 8 week test results...

www.medhelp.org - Dude !!! there is NO chance that you have HIV. No WAY !
CDC: get tested at 3 and 6 months from the exposure
www.thebody.com - get tested at 12th week from the exposure...and so on...

Where is the truth ? What is the statistics of people tested positive after 8 week negative ?

Guy I really expect EXPLAINED opinitions...with reasoning and such...
I you can, of course...

I am REALLY scared before my final 12th week test. R E A L L Y !
I palpated my neck and found 2 shotty lymth nodes on the back of it (one from May). I found 2 shotty lymph nodes in clavicular area...Never looked for stuff like this before so... not really sure...if it something new or old... But EVERY WHERE YOU go ANY website suggests HIV if you have palpatible lymth nodes on your neck... That fuels my anxiety...

Any opinions ? Advise ?
What are my chances ?

Thank you for reading all this.... A LOT !

Offline RapidRod

Re: Yet another guy with HIV anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 05:59:29 pm »
Being a medical student you know that symptoms or lack of symptoms is no indicator of HIV infection. Keep your fingers off your nodes and they won't swell. You had a no risk situation and I wouldn't have tested to begin with. See your doctor and get his advice for your symptoms.

Offline Tabul Rasa

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 06:11:03 pm »
As i said...knowledge doesn't help me here at all...
Just imagining that everything that I worked on will be a waste and my dear will be sentenced to death because of me makes every hour of my life a nightmare.

Offline Tabul Rasa

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 06:14:48 pm »
Of course I learned my lesson. Of course I will stay away from situation like this in the future.
I am just trying to estimate the possible exposure that I had:

1) Unknown quality of the condom
2) Possible exposure to prostitutes vaginal fluids
3) Palpable lymph nodes on the neck and clavicle.

(Sorry for errors - English is not my native language)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 06:17:10 pm »
knowledge doesn't help me here at all

And this is why aidsmeds.com can't help you either.
You know you had no risk, by our standards.

But believing that is entirely up to you. As is your anxiety.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Tabul Rasa

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 01:02:55 pm »
Thank you for honest response !

Basically the only question I have left is: FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE (experience - not CDC statistics!), guys, how many people do you know or heard of that seroconverted later after 8 week neg test ?

this is my 11th week from encounter...and I really want to put the whole issue behind and move on.

Offline GM1987

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 01:07:26 pm »
How was the OraSure test, if you don't mind me asking?
How long did it take and were results immediately given? My college says I have to wait a full week before I can know whether I'm POS or NEG.
Mr. RapidRod is my hero.

Offline Tabul Rasa

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 01:17:49 pm »
OraSure, correct.

Your friend is wrong - OraSure is a 20 minute test (worst 20 minutes of your life  ;D)

it is very accurate (99.99) regarding false negative results, but is known for giving some false positives.

Offline Tabul Rasa

Re: Thin/Extra Sensitive Condoms
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 03:42:59 pm »
Follow up question:

If cervical secretions are the source of HIV if female is infected, and they are usually stay at cervix area, so why circumcised males have way less chance of getting infected ?  ???

Are the odds the same (speaking of risks of infection) if vaginal fluids have contact with uncircumcised penis outside the female body ? Target cells are present as far as I understand.

Thank  You !

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 04:40:00 pm »
Tabul,

You posted the above post in someone else's thread, I think by mistake. Please try to make sure you are posting in your own thread. It's easy to do if you have more than one window open.

The fact that circumcision MIGHT offer some protection against hiv transmission has nothing to do with the cervix. Nothing.

The inner foreskin has cells that are receptive to hiv. It's as simple as that. Take away the foreskin, and there are fewer of the correct type of cell that hiv needs to bump into in order to infect.

Being circumcised is no guarantee of not becoming infected, and having a foreskin does not automatically mean transmission will happen.

You must wear condoms whether you have a foreskin or not.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Tabul Rasa

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 04:56:41 pm »
Understood...
That question was diffrent though:

If a women touched her genitals and then put the condom on for you...what are the odds that vaginal fluids from her fingers will infect the HIV receptible cell of foreskin ?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 05:15:41 pm »
Tabul,

You, a medical student, are asking these questions? If you have read anything about hiv, you will know what a fragile virus it is and you should also be able to understand the science behind it. I suggest you read the Transmission Lesson again, or do a little reading here in this forum.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Tabul Rasa

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 06:05:08 pm »
Will do ! ;D
Tks Anna !

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 11:14:21 pm »
Tabul

From a fellow student (biomedical sciences), chill the heck out!  You had absolutley no risk, your head is playing games with you, it happens to the best of us sometime.  Think logically about your situation - ie do your own risk assessment. 

1) you had absolutley no risk for infection from what you describe.  2) 95% of people seroconvert by 8 weeks.

So multiply the two numbers to come up with your risk of being postive.  0 X 5% = ahhh yes that's 0....

My advice - get off the internet and hit the books - no offense man but your virology could use some work!

Offline Tabul Rasa

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 01:04:54 am »
Thanks, man !
Appreciate the support !

And yes, my head is playing games with me, especially that I had never been in such situation before...and yeahh...palpable shotty nodes in the neck.

Never paid any attention until I read about it...knowledge is a dangerous power !

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 01:09:19 am »
Blank Slate,

Leave your nodes alone. Prodding them makes them swell. Seek the assistance of a mental health professional regarding your fears about HIV.

MtD

Offline Tabul Rasa

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 01:49:40 am »
Good perception ! (about the translation)

And yes  - I will let it go.
Very soon.
The first time in my life I actually started thinking about consequences...
A lot to think about.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.