Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 382
Total: 382

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newbie Intro - mom of two HIV+ kids  (Read 4092 times)

Offline Aylaeight

Newbie Intro - mom of two HIV+ kids
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:01:27 pm »
HI there,

I have been lurking for a while and decided now as as good a time as any to introduce myself.  I am the adoptive mom of two healthy, beautiful children (one in elementary school and one in preschool) who are HIV+. 

This forum has been really helpful to me as I try to prepare myself the kinds of issues my kids will have to face as they get older.  I know I will never truly be able to understand all that they are going to have to deal with, but I appreciate having a resource to hear about others' experiences firsthand.  It truly is invaluable and hard to come by this kind of information.  Most of the people I typically talk to about HIV are care providers and other adoptive parents - all of whom are negative. 

Oh - and I love checking the "Am I Infected?" forum for smart responses to ridiculous questions.  We have kept our kids' status pretty private, but I am filing some of those away for later if/when any of my kids decide to be more open.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
Re: Newbie Intro - mom of two HIV+ kids
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:05:29 pm »
Hi Ayla~

I am Cindy, poz for nearly 15 years, 38yo, no kids.  Its good that you posted, because this is a good place to vent and share thoughts and concerns with others.  Whatever it is you're thinking, chances are someone else here has been through it and can offer insight.

I'd like to invite you to read the Ladies Thread in the Positive Women's Forum.  We all talk about whatever is going on in our lives in there.  I think you and Mini'sMom may have a lot in common, as she has six kids, some are adopted, and one is pos.

Welcome to the Forums, you'll love it here with us!  :)

~ Cindy in Maryland
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline HopeandCope

• Hope and Cope
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:06:34 pm »
I have found these forums full of information and hopeful thoughts.  As a Mom of an HIV+ son, I find many times that my fears are alleviated here at this forum.

Smooches, Jude
Jude
Hope and Cope Support Site
A Safe Place for Families & Friends of HIV+ People
http://hopeandcope.blogspot.com/

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:14:23 pm »
Ayla, welcome to the forums!  I have 1 beautiful daughter (that's her picture in my avatar) who just turned 8 and is poz.  We have always been very open about her status and she talks very openly about it to other people.  If you click on my name just under her picture, you can read my bio.  It more or less tells about our journey early on.  You can also send me a private message (PM) by clicking on my name and choosing the "send this member a private message" (but you need 2 more posts first).  I look forward to talking to you more.

As Cindy said, come and join us in the ladies thread.  You'll find loads of support and understanding.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Aylaeight

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 10:25:06 pm »
Thanks for the welcome!

I have to drag myself away from the computer screen and get a few things done now, but I will certainly be joining you all on the Ladies' Forum too.

Thanks again!
Ayla

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 10:30:58 pm »
Hey now!  Welcome to the forums!

Tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 10:31:17 pm »
Welcome to the forums. So glad to hear your children are healthy and happy. Growing up HIV+ will hopefully get easier as the general public learns more about HIV.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 11:07:11 pm »
Welcome, Ayla!
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline #1 mom

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 02:38:46 am »
Welcome, Ayla. I adopted my beautiful son who is HIV+. Lucas just turned 2. I look forward to getting to know you. Minismom is my hero and a great person to talk to about things. I hope you join us on the womens link. You can read my story on the introductions on the + women link. Because it could get confusing with more than 1 mom I'm sometimes listed as LM or Lucas' mom in the posts.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Amy

Offline ArisGreekSquared

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 01:17:18 pm »
Such cute kids you all have! That's true, let's hope and pray the stigma improves in today's society. I mean, I was diagnosed 13 years ago and I'm 27 now so I know it was tough for me.  I live in Boston and it's tough just meeting guys for relationships and/or the occasional romp and it's a shock that so many people are so uneducated about it. It's ashame! Fortunately, we are not too subjected to the hate that was around back in the early 80s.

I greatly look up to the people and tip my hat to those that are still around and had to deal with that kind of abuse. 

Offline jabez

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 06:26:54 pm »
Hi, there!   And welcome to the forums.
Sept 2007 -- CD4 = 68; VL = 469,000
Started Atripla Sept 21, 2007
Nov 2007-CD4=217;VL=332
Feb 2008-CD4=237;VL=<50
Apr 2008-CD4=271;VL=66
Aug 2008-CD4=440;VL=52
Jan 2009-CD4=403;VL=61
May 2009-CD4=480;VL=129
Sep 2009-CD4=376;VL<40
Jan 2010-CD4=476;VL<40
Jul 2010-CD4=539;VL<40
Jan 2011-CD4=461;VL=53
Jul 2011-CD4=515;VL<20
Jan 2012-CD4=506;VL=54
Aug 2012-CD4=440;VL=21
Jan 2013-CD4=447;VL=<20
Jul 2013-CD4=406; VL=<20
Feb 2014-CD4=450; VL=<20
Aug 2014-CD4=535; VL=<20
Feb 2015-CD4=535; VL=<20
Aug 2015-CD4=707; VL=<20

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 03:50:30 pm »
The love and generosity of the people and stories in this thread - very moving
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 10:21:02 pm »
Hey Ayla,

Howdy and welcome to the forums. I look forward to hearing more from you.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Sheri

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 12:32:31 pm »
Good morning,

I enjoyed reading your post, Ayla, and as I am new to the board also (but a long-time lurker), I want to say hello to you as well as everyone here.  Your post reminded me a lot of myself, as I am also the adoptive mom of an HIV+ child; my princess is six years old.  I also have a teenage daughter and a two week old daughter whom are negative. I have found this board to be a great place to chew over ideas and to see the diversity in the positive community in terms of positions on disclosure, treatment, advocacy, etc, and I look forward to being a part of things.  (I hope this isn't considered thread hijacking; I didn't want to be redundant by starting another thread.)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 07:38:12 pm »
Welcome, Sheri!  Glad you've moved from lurker to member, and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Offline Iggy

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 09:42:59 am »
Just wanted to add my welcomes to both Ayla and Sheri!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.