Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:57:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 423
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 410
Total: 410

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Between the Cracks: A Transsexual Tale  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Between the Cracks: A Transsexual Tale
« on: April 13, 2010, 12:21:01 pm »
Consider the plight of Conor Montgomery:

A SYDNEY transsexual has filed a sex discrimination complaint against state and federal governments over a refusal to change his birth certificate to ''male''.

Conor Montgomery, 50, was born a female in Australia but took male hormones, had a double mastectomy and a chest reconstruction 2½ years ago to become a man.

His passport says he is male but the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages will not convert his birth certificate because he has not had genital surgery.

(link on motherfuckers!)

This is a curious type mismatch between state and federal law and for the sake of a few pieces of paper, fellows like Conor must exist in some wretched bureaucratic limbo.

For the record Matty the Damned is an acquaintance of Conor Montgomery.

MtD

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
Re: Between the Cracks: A Transsexual Tale
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:43:53 pm »
Yeah here in the U.S. There's a lot of confusion behind these types of things, and it lies solely with the states' prerogative.

Some states will change the sex on the birth certificate outright, no questions asked.

Some will only give a person an amended certificate, or a card to attach to the certificate that they already have, that states that they have had their sex changed. Why? I have yet to find a logical reason as to why a state will give someone an amendment on their certificate, rather than simply changing the sex, like other states. Clearly it's possible. I don't know, I'm happy with the gender that I was given, so I really have no say either way. There may be a logical reason, I'm just not seeing it.
[.Fodão.]

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:50:32 pm »
Yeah here in the U.S. There's a lot of confusion behind these types of things, and it lies solely with the states' prerogative.

Some states will change the sex on the birth certificate outright, no questions asked.

Some will only give a person an amended certificate, or a card to attach to the certificate that they already have, that states that they have had their sex changed. Why? I have yet to find a logical reason as to why a state will give someone an amendment on their certificate, rather than simply changing the sex, like other states. Clearly it's possible. I don't know, I'm happy with the gender that I was given, so I really have no say either way. There may be a logical reason, I'm just not seeing it.

Part of the problem is our obsession with a binary concept of gender. It's hard for cisgendered folks to appreciate that there might be more than just male and female.

Just ask Norrie.

MtD

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 03:18:35 pm »
Oh I completely agree. That, and the fact that "gender" is largely a social implication.
[.Fodão.]

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:33:08 pm »
Oh I completely agree. That, and the fact that "gender" is largely a social implication.

Yus, a lot like how race is a social construction.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.