Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:01:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 300
Total: 301

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Second line of tre treatment with Dolutegravir  (Read 3369 times)

Offline kuttakamina

Second line of tre treatment with Dolutegravir
« on: May 11, 2017, 10:54:00 pm »
My doc prescribed me dolutegravir/atazanavir/ritonavir last week.

I was on atripla for 6 years (started in 2010) with a very good outcome. Then I listened to Luc Montaigner about the virus on the Internet and stopped taking atripla. This was in mid-2015. Now the doc is saying I'm resistant to all nrti and nnrti meds

I've read that atazanavir gives you yellowing of skin and eyes so I want to avoid taking it. Is there another less toxic combination that can be used with dolutegravir?

Cd4 is in double digits and VL close to 200000.

Thanks for your response

Kuttakamina

Offline harleymc

Re: Second line of tre treatment with Dolutegravir
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 04:40:13 am »
Well you read wrong. One of the listed side effects that may occur is jaundice. It's not guaranteed that you get it.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 04:58:44 am »
Hi

Yellowing of the eyes is estimated to affect 10% of people taking atazanavir. That translates to a 90% chance it won't happen.

I'd respectfully suggest that after stopping therapy and finding bad news about resistance, that given your VL and double-digit CD4, the critical thing is to simply get back on treatment and get your VL undetectable and immune system back in the right direction. If there are any issues with the atazanavir then deal with them when they happen rather than worrying in advance.

You should also be on precautionary antibiotics such as Bactrim/Septrim given your CD4 count. Make sure those have been prescribed also.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 05:01:26 am »
I do agree it seems both the 2015 issue that caused this was reading or listening to things (rubbish) online and now (2017) reading online is the cause for undue stress over a "what if".

Take the meds, work with your doctor.

Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline kuttakamina

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 02:50:32 am »
Thanks for all your responses. I'm a US citizen living in a developing country where not all meds are available. For eg, I don't know if Triumeq is an option for me but it's not available here.

On a different note,  I don't understand what resistance to drugs is. I had read a while ago, that if you quit or become resistant to certain meds, and quit taking the meds, after a while hiv goes back to being the wild type and in theory you can reuse the original meds again. Is that true?

Now here's the big puzzler. While on atripla, I took full dose of 1/day in 2010, then in 2011, one day on and one day off, that to only half a pill, then in 2012 through 2014, one day on two days off of half a pill, then in 2015, one day on three days off of half a pill. Every six months I'd get a cd4 and they were on the increase since 2010, and the highest were in June 2015 with 880. How do you explain this?

Was this half tablet even working after 2012 onward? I was very healthy during this time. Then I heard the noble prize winner discoverer of HIV in a documentary saying that HIV can be overcome with good nutrition, good antioxidants, clean drinking water etc so I quit atripla in June 2015.

Then in Dec 2015 my cd4 had died on dropped to 290. I thought they fell by  100-200 each year?

Thoughts?

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 04:40:03 am »
Building resistance can take time, and it does happen.

Incorrect or intermittent adherence like yours is one of the leading factors in virologic failure rates of course in many cases it does lead to drug resistance. Its not a mystery same goes for many other viruses.

The treatment does not give you CD4's, it just suppresses the VL and CD4's will vary between monitoring. If i checked mine in the AM vs PM today there could be a 100 count difference - nobody really cares about CD4's from snapshot to snapshot, hence reduced monitoring of them nowadays once someones VL is suppressed by the meds. We also know now CD4's does not measure all of the damage being done from incorrect or not treated HIV.

I am sorry that you have found yourself in this situation, its a shame that the person you followed in question did what he did and a lot of hurt in the world has come from it and will continue long after his recent death. Nobal prizes from the past for one thing does not make an expert for life or someone infallible. Science  moves on and the lesson here is the only way to suppress HIV is with medication.

Wishing you well and all the best, I mean that and keep us posted on now you get on with the new treatment , I hope this time adherence will not be a an issue.

Jim

virologic failure
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=66234.0

Experts debate treatment - debated ended.  (To my comment CD4's does not measure all of the damage)
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=51849.msg719533#new

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:52:20 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 08:51:43 am »
Adherence,Adherence,Adherence - make that your blessed trinity.

Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline Kangaroo

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 11:14:42 pm »
My doctor prescribed me Tenofovir and Lamivudina with Dolutegravir.

In my country this is the first line of treatment, I don't know much but my immunologist that is also academic told me it has less side effects and less toxicity than efavirenz... it became the first line thanks to a petition of a association for well-living of the poz population here to the ministry of health.

I just started so I still don't know if it works.
Looking at the sea again.
Tides they rise and fall and then they rise again.

29/03/2017: Confirmed POZ(VL: N/A CD4: 303)
26/04/2017: VL 66.576 CD4 575)
12/05/2017: Start of DTC + TDF + 3TC
26/06/2017: VL 58 CD4 628,5
20/07/2017: VL Undetectable
09/05/2018: VL UD CD4 650,7@32,5%
08/11/2018: VL UD CD4 617,4@31,4%
29/05/2019: VL UD CD4 677,8@33,3%
12/11/2019: VL UD CD4 730,0@34,6%
30/05/2020: VL UD CD4 801,8@36,7%
11/12/2020: VL UD CD4 652,0@39,1%

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 05:27:31 pm »
Hi

Well sounds good, I'm sure your next labs show reduction in black.
When is your next follow up planned?

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.