Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:55:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 607
Total: 610

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sleepless on atripla  (Read 5821 times)

Offline alonedee

Sleepless on atripla
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:03:18 pm »
Hi i started atripla on 10th of this month, m fine during the day and eat wel but i bin having trouble sleeping ever since, i fall asleep as late as btwn 4 & 6am, i read that its one of the side effects even tho my doc neva mentioned, m seeing my doc in 2 weeks, wl ths eventually go away? oh and again i read that to ease the side effects i must take atripla on an empty stomach, rite nw i take it at 1930 then hve my supper bt still cnt fall asleep at nite

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Sleepless on atripla
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:42 pm »
Hi Dee, welcome to the forums.

When a med says to take on an empty stomach, it generally means not eating two hours before and two hours after as well. You should eat your evening meal at least two hours before you're going to take your Atripla, and then take the Atripla right before you go to bed. This way you will be asleep before any side-effects can start and you should sleep through any that happen afterwards.

If you're still having sleep trouble after 1) eating two or more hours before you take your Atripla and 2) taking it right before bed and 3) giving it a few more weeks, you can speak to your doctor about trying a different combo.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alonedee

Sleepless on atripla
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:00:20 pm »
Thanx anne, wen i startd the first week id hve supper at around 7pm and took the atripla at 930pm, i fell asleep at around 3am, decided to change to 730pm and eating later, so must i go back to the 1st arrangement, wont ths affect my circle in any way, i don wana be put off atripla, i jus hope i get it right

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:16:50 pm »
Dee, you somehow started a new thread when you tried to reply to me. You need to hit the "reply" button that appears at the end of each thread when you want to reply to a thread.

You can also click on the + that appears next to the "Quick Reply" bar a bit further down the page. It will open up a box where you can type your reply without having to wait for the whole page to reload. I know internet forums can be a bit confusing when you're new to them, but you'll get the hang of it.

I merged the two threads for you. :)

Were you lying in bed from 9:30pm and not falling asleep until 3am, or were you not going to bed until 3am? You should take the Atripla right before you go to bed, not hours before.

If you were going to bed at 9:30 after taking your Atripla and not being able to sleep until 3am, maybe you need to leave more time between eating and taking your pill.

I hope you can make this work, but it's ok if you need to switch to another combo. Most people only have to switch one of the meds (there are three in Atripla). Plenty of people do it and there's no reason why you can't as well. Your rest is important and if your meds are not allowing you to rest, the best thing to do is to switch.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alonedee

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:09:04 am »
Thanks again ann, u no i looked for the reply button and just couldnt find it anywere, i jus found it today, okay m a late nite sleeper since m always on the net talkn to ppl overseas, so ths is wat u suggest i do, take atripla at the time that i go to sleep, i go to bed around 11 and midnite when watching late nite movies, which is almost every nite, on average i go to bed at 11pm, so u r saying that is the time i must be taking my meds? I have my lunch at around 2pm and supper at btwn 1930 n 2000, i will start doing that tonite, thanks again

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 05:12:38 am »
Hi Dee! Did you take the Atripla at eleven last night, right before you went to bed? (yes, that's what you should be doing)

How did it go? Did you manage to get some sleep?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alonedee

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »
Hello anne, sori my laptop ws down for pas 2 days, i did take the meds at 2300 and boy i did fall asleep for the first time in weeks, so i slept good on friday and saturday nite, hope it lasts. thanks again for your help, i just hve to deal with my chronic constipation which i hd b4 i started on atripla, i thot mybe it ws one of hiv complications, that it wl ease as soon as i started meds but i still go on for weeks without passing stools, laxatives just gve me pains and neva work, 2 months b4 i started on my meds doctors hd my bowel examined bt couldnt find anytin, bin eating weatbix and fruits for breakfast since friday bt still get only stomach pains

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 08:03:19 am »
Dee, hang in there with the changes in your diet. Sometimes it can take a while for the changes to make a difference. Also, ask your doctor if there is a better laxative he can recommend. An occasional enema may help as well.

I'm happy to hear you finally got some sleep! That's wonderful news and I'm glad I could help. As long as you're leaving plenty of time between your last meal of the day and taking your Atripla - and taking the Atripla right before bed - you should be fine. :)

You may also find that after a few months of taking Atripla, you might be able to eat nearer the time you take it. If I were you, I wouldn't try this for a while though. Let your body get used to the meds first.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alonedee

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:26:13 pm »
I cn neva thank u enuf for ur help Anne, for a while there ws worried cz i ddnt expect insomnia as one of the side effects, my doc ddn mention it. Atripla is not commonly used in our country, the government only gives out other tablets, so i pay ths thru my insurance, thing is there is little knowledge bout atripla and i ddn hve any1 to ask, u came thru for me.  I hope my doc cn help stop ths constipation so i cn start on a lil bit of aerobics, ive seen ppl develop fat and their body shape changing drastically

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:56:10 pm »
Dee, it may be helpful if you start exercising now, rather than later. Vigorous exercise can often have a beneficial effect on constipation.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing. :)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alonedee

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 04:00:24 pm »
oh, okay anne, wl start real son, thanks and gud nite, time for my meds now

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 07:48:10 pm »
I can relate! Everyone is different, some have sleep issues early on, others as much as a year after starting Atripla. It is a very effective drug and you can't beat the ease of one pill once a day. It has worked wonders for me overall. When I first started taking it, it wasn't trouble sleeping, it was some crazy dreams, which is totally normal.  About a year into me taking it, I began having some trouble falling asleep, sometimes majorly. I'd agree with the previous posters, I'd def make sure you take it a couple hours after eating anything, and maybe try moving the dose time slightly..I sometimes take mine right before bed, and still have trouble falling asleep, but other times, I fall asleep ok. And other nights, I move the dose up a bit, to about 2 hours before I go to bed, and it can help..It just varies I guess. I suspect as many have suggested that it's the Sustiva that causes the sleep disturbances...I'd just play it by ear, see how ya do, it might get better for ya. Good luck and best wishes, keep us posted!

Offline alonedee

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 02:23:01 pm »
Thank u newbieguy, il be 3weeks full on atripla 2moro and seeing my doc next friday, wel since i took annes advice i no longa hve problems sleeping, i eat btwn 7 n 8pm and take my meds at 11pm or later at sleeping time, taking them without going to bed right away ddnt work for me as id only sleep at 7am the ff day, rite now i can tell u that all is well. thnx again

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 06:45:00 am »
Hey Dee, it's great to hear that you're still getting the sleep you need. I bet you're relieved!

Fingers crossed that you have good results from your latest blood draw when you see your doctor next week. Remember to ask him (or her) if there is a better laxative he can recommend, or if there are any other remedies you might try. And don't forget to start exercising - sometimes vigorous exercise can do wonders for constipation. Drink plenty of water each day too as this can also help. And keep up with the improved diet.

By the way, I meant to mention this when you first brought up the subject of exercise.  You said "ive seen ppl develop fat and their body shape changing drastically". If you are talking about people who are on hiv meds having these problems, please know that the meds in the combo you are taking are not generally known for causing these fat and body shape changes.

Unfortunately, many people in your country have no choice but to take some of the older meds (because they are available as generics, which means they cost less), meds which ARE known for causing body shape changes as well as other physical problems. It's good that you are able to get Atripla, because the meds in Atripla are much more body-friendly.

But hey, don't let that be a reason to think you don't need to exercise. Regular exercise will help keep you healthy.

I'm looking forward to hearing how your next doctor appointment goes, so be sure to keep us posted.

Oh, and just wondering - have you noticed we have a women only forum here at aidsmeds? Check it out! There are threads there discussing subjects that we women don't always want to talk about in front of the men-folk. ;)

Hugs,
Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alonedee

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 01:50:53 pm »
Thank u again ann, ve registered to start exercising immediately afta my app with the doc ths frida, m so relieved bout the info u just shared bout body changes, at 41 i bin lucky to hve a petite body and i pray to god that i stay longa on atripla, il be sure logging onto the women only forum, ve so much unanswered questions, some i cnt share with hubby

keep well anne

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.