Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:50:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 677
Total: 678

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Testing in Thailand  (Read 9216 times)

Offline siamwalker

Testing in Thailand
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:12:05 pm »
Very pleased to find this Thailand thread. I have questions about privacy :)

Firstly I made a very stupid mistake. I had sex with a high risk female prostitute (drug taker) and the condom broke. I probably continued for about 45 seconds before realizing and stopping.

Exactly 7 days later I developed a sore throat and a fever, that night one lymph node under my left armpit swelled to the size of a bean and another one in my left armpit swelled to smaller than a pea. No other swollen nodes detected. 9 days later, on my inner right forearm a line of 6 tender red dots (rash) appeared along with a smaller group more central on the forearm. 11 days later the lymph nodes have gone down, the sore throat has gone, and no new rashes have appeared. I am a sniff and sneeze a lot and the fever is still present.

At this point of time I basically accept I have contracted the virus. I work here and really love working and living here. I have shared everything with a girl I am close too who has said she will support me no matter what.

My concern is about getting tested, being found positive, and then getting treated. Do I need to worry about privacy for my future life here, is my visa and work permit at risk if found positive?

Should I try to do everything as undercover as I can?

I would like to know your opinions of privacy and HIV in Thailand.

edited by Ann to change the thread's title as it was originally posted in a thread in a forum Siam should not have posted in.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 08:55:08 am by Ann »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Testing in Thailand
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:58:11 am »
Siam,

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus, and more so from a woman to a man. While you have had a risk, it is very much on the low end of the scale and I do not expect you to test positive over this brief condom break incident. I've never seen an insertive partner (that's you) test positive following a condom break and I do not expect you to be the first.

You do need to test, and the earliest you should test is at six weeks. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

Neither symptoms, nor the lack of symptoms will ever tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing at the appropriate time will. Nothing you report is hiv specific.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline siamwalker

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:03:24 pm »
Ann,

Thank you for your encouraging words. i will be getting tested in early December.

I have had to add more to the story because I got dates wrong on a previous incident. A condom broke with a sexworker 27 days, as well as the 7 day previous incident, before I got the flu symptons and this would have been a two-three minute continuation. These are the only two sexual encounters I have had in the past six months, so I obviously have some problems stopping condoms breaking.

Also 4 years ago an ex-gf called me and told me she had tested psoittive for chylamidia. I went and got tested and was psoitive. Took a tablet and all taken care off. Then about two years ago a girl i was in a long term relationship didn't tell me about her herpes until after we had sex a few times. I eventually have an outbreak, though not for at least 8 months now.

I would think these two encounters on top off earlier STD seach other does make infection more likely.

I am at a loss to understand why having intercourse with a broken condom for 45 seconds to three minutes is any less likely to cause infection then unprotected sex for five minutes :)

I showed a chemist the rash on my forearm today and he gave me herpes simplex cream! I guess it is hard to say "well it is not HIV" when everything I read rates it as a good chance, and if it is not HIV what the hell is it. I have never (in my 40 years) has swollen lymph nodes under the armpit, or a rash on my forearm. Incidentally the rash itches when it is exposed to sulight, but not out of the sun.

But your words have moved me from being certain of having the virus to having hope that the test will be negative. The fact that you went 18 months without your partner being passed the virus does show how unlucky I would be, but there must be cases of males catching the virus from a female...well...we know there are.

So until I have done my test in December and March, I will continue to have some grave fears.

Thankyou again for responding. I will post test results when I get them.

As an aside, do you place any faith in the rapid home testing kits?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 03:39:01 am by siamwalker »

Offline joemutt

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 03:54:04 am »
  Thai Red Cross Society Anonymous Clinic/ AIDS Research Centre
Address: 104 Rajdamri Road, Pathumwan Sub-district, prthumwan District, Bangkok 10330

TEL: (02) 252-2568/9, 252-7791, 252
FAX: (02) 254-7577
Type of Organisation: NGO under Royal Patronage
Type of Service:
- Pre-test and Post -test counselling
- Blood and CD4 testing
- Countrolling spread og HIV/AIDS via blood donation by providing uncontaminated blood supply
Service Range: Medical care and treatment

Offline siamwalker

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 05:28:46 am »
Thanks Joe,

Is it just walk in or phone ahead.  What time do they open in the mornings and are they open on weekends?

Will go there and if positive decide about finding a good doctor to work with :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:31:02 am by siamwalker »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 05:32:24 am »
Siam,

You only need to test out to three months for a conclusive result. You don't need to test over this incident in March. I've just been reading about how Thailand had one of the earliest responses in Asia to the hiv pandemic and you don't have to worry about them not using up-to-date testing methods.

You can also test at the six WEEK point, as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by this time. A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

If the chemist gave you acyclovir cream for the rash on your arm, he might be assuming it's shingles - shingles is in the herpes family of viruses. Anyone who has had chickenpox can have shingles, especially if they're under a lot of stress. Shingles is NOT hiv specific. And remember, a chemist is not a doctor and he might well be wrong in his assessment of your rash.

Again, symptoms, or even the LACK of symptoms, will never tell you ANYTHING about your hiv status. Would you be so worried if you had no symptoms? You still had a risk either way and you would still need to test even if you felt fine.

I do expect you to test negative. I suggest you stay off hiv websites and get busy with your life while you wait for the appropriate time to test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline siamwalker

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 10:36:22 pm »
Hi Ann,

I am doing okay. Not reading too much stuff now. Test is organised for early December which may be too early but I have to travel 5 hours to the place. Then will go in early Feb which should give a pretty accurate answer.

I thought about shingles as well.

The biggest help has been my female friend who has been in love with me for a long time though I have not felt the same way about her. Her support has shown me the respect she deserves from me :)

Symptons now: Same rash, lymph nodes normal, sniffing and stuffy head.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:17:07 am »
Siam,

If I'm reading you correctly, the broken condom incident happened about four weeks ago. If that's right, then your test in December will be more than six weeks after the incident. If you get a negative results then (and I expect you will), it will be highly unlikely to change when you get your confirmation in February.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline siamwalker

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 09:26:43 pm »
The first condom broke about 37 days ago and the second broke about 15 days.

So a December the 6th test and an early Feb test should cover all bases.

Also Ann I am interested in why you suggest that symptons are irrelevant.

I do understand the importance of stressing the fact that HIV can be transmitted and no symptons occur so that people will go and get tested no matter what.

Regardless of that most places do say that some symptons are reasonably common to those who have recently been infected with the virus. The symptons I described are either very early or very late in the window but do fit most of what has been written, yet you still believe I will not test positive.

Just wondering why you believe symptons are immaterial. Not being argumentive, just interested :)

Thanks Ann :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:37:38 pm by siamwalker »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 07:57:07 am »
Symptoms are never a good guide because the ones associated with ARS resemble so many other common illnesses.

An HIV test is the only sure way to know your status accurately. And it must be done at a reliable testing point. 13 weeks is the standard recommended time.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 08:22:28 am »
Siam,

I really have a problem with websites that put so much emphasis on symptoms. One reason is the one you mention - not everyone experiences any symptoms and the emphasis leads too many people without symptoms into a false sense of security. (I feel fine so I couldn't possibly been infected - even though I never use condoms.)

The other reason is the one Andy mentions. Yes, some symptoms are reasonably common to those who have recently been infected with the virus - BUT - they are also reasonably common to those who are experiencing any one of hundreds, if not thousands, of other illnesses. Sometimes we see people here who have conclusively tested negative, but continue to experience symptoms. Because of this, they refuse to believe their test results and they also refuse to investigate other possible causes. It's pretty damn sad to watch.

I'm fully expecting you to ultimately test negative over these situations. I've yet to see the insertive partner test positive over a condom break and I do not expect you to be the first.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline siamwalker

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 10:32:12 pm »
Thanks Ann,

I understand what you are saying.

I still am not sure why a condom breaking and basically just bsing a ring around the base of the penis leaving everything exposed and then is inside the vagina between a minute and three minutes is different to initioal insertion without a condom. Most guy will only last 5 minutes in there anyway (on a good day) ;)

As for not believing negative tests, that will not be me. I have faith in the testing system as I have been tested at 4 years ago and 2 years ago just to keep a check on things.

And if positive, I will also not dwell on things. I think it is silly to woprry about whether the virus may kill you in 20 or 30 years when I may die of something before then anyway :)

Thanks for your words Ann. I prefer the more direct approach than the softly softly. Will let you know what happens either way after my tests which have been officially scheduled for December the 19th which should cover both time periods.

Also, though the left armpit nodes went away, today the right one swelled up!!

I am uncircumcised as well, and from what I have read that is an issue.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:30:30 pm by siamwalker »

Offline esper

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 06:22:08 am »
Hi Siam, sorry you're going through a difficult time now. Just to add to Joemutt's advice on where to get tested - - all the major hospitals have testing, and results are kept confidential. I originally went for my test to Bumrungrad and continue to go there for tests and treatment, but Bangkok Hospital, Sumitivej, and the other big ones have on-site labs and qualified physicians and staff. The Anonymous Clinic that Joemutt indicated will have the lowest cost for the tests. Results are not shared with the government or otherwise reported. Hope all turns out for the best for you. esper
tested positive June 26, 2009
06/26/2009-CD4 428: VL 56,200: 34.1%
09/28/2009-CD4 388: VL 105,000: 31.9%
11/16/2009-CD4 330: VL 242,000: 23.4%
12/11/09 started stocrin (sustiva) & truvada
02/02/2010-CD4 588: VL 204: 31.6%
04/27/2010-CD4 620; VL 154; 38.5%
08/25/2010-CD4 504; VL undet; 39.2%
11/16/2010-CD4 499: VL undet: 44.6%
03/01/2011-CD4 534: VL undet: 33.2%
06/01/2011-CD4 709: VL undet: 45.6%
12/11/2011-CD4 537: VL undet: 41.5%
06/10/2012-CD4 597: VL undet: 42.8%
Switched to Atripla 12/2012.
Latest 09/2015-CD4 816: VL undet: 49.2%

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 09:07:05 am »
Esper, however well intentioned your advice is, you are not supposed to be responding in the threads of other members. If you had read the Welcome thread which opens this section you would have noticed that only those who are authorized to do so are to answer in the threads.

Thanks for your cooperation in the future.
Andy Velez

Offline esper

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 11:06:10 pm »
Hi Andy, I'm very sorry. I've read the welcome thread and will abide by it in future. Apologies, esper
tested positive June 26, 2009
06/26/2009-CD4 428: VL 56,200: 34.1%
09/28/2009-CD4 388: VL 105,000: 31.9%
11/16/2009-CD4 330: VL 242,000: 23.4%
12/11/09 started stocrin (sustiva) & truvada
02/02/2010-CD4 588: VL 204: 31.6%
04/27/2010-CD4 620; VL 154; 38.5%
08/25/2010-CD4 504; VL undet; 39.2%
11/16/2010-CD4 499: VL undet: 44.6%
03/01/2011-CD4 534: VL undet: 33.2%
06/01/2011-CD4 709: VL undet: 45.6%
12/11/2011-CD4 537: VL undet: 41.5%
06/10/2012-CD4 597: VL undet: 42.8%
Switched to Atripla 12/2012.
Latest 09/2015-CD4 816: VL undet: 49.2%

Offline siamwalker

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 03:53:26 am »
Thanks Esper,

I am booked in at The Bangkok Pattaya International for the 19th of December. Decided to do all the initital stuff quite a long way from where I live. :)

Offline siamwalker

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 04:19:52 am »
Finished the test which is either 7 weeks or 11 weeks depending on the two incidents. The result was negative. I stuck with the 7 week story and the doc said 90% of people who are negative at this point will remain negative. I return in the first week of Feb for the second test.

Thanks to Ann and Andy for their earlier replies. i will post the second test results just to clear up the thread when they come in.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 08:04:32 am »
Assuming that negative was at 7 weeks, it is very unlikely to change to positive at 13 weeks. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the virus.

I expect you will continue to test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline siamwalker

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 10:48:12 pm »
Just wrapping up the thread. Was a bit late on the second test...so about 15 weeks all up. Tested negative. Again thanks to the people who assisted on this board, and I will paying more attention to these breaking condom problems :) Good luck for all on here.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 01:09:32 pm »
OK. Good to hear about your happy negative result.

Keep using those condoms and just make sure they are fresh and they fit you correctly.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline siamwalker

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 01:41:36 pm »
Wow...All I can say is these condoms are rubbish. Read all of the links given by Ann. Did everything by the book. Again a broken condom....3 weeks later, sore throat, underarm pain (but their does not appear to be any swollen lymph nodes) under both armpits and small red dots on stomach....more testing ahead...the hospital will really love me!

I guess the issue is perhaps these condoms are too small. That can be the only thing though they are not really uncomfortable.

I also noticed a small little bump on the shaft off my penis which from previous experience is a small genital wart. I have no idea if that acts as a doorway for the virus.

Solo masturbation from now on...too bloody stressful these crap condoms. Feels like I am playing Russian roulette. Another 3 weeks off worrying here I come.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:39:54 pm by siamwalker »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 04:29:18 pm »
See your doctor about your symptoms. They are not HIV-specific.

The condom protected you until it broke and it's harder to transmit HIV from female to male. Which means your risk level was low.

Get busy with other things while waiting to test.

Good luck. 
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 09:51:08 am »
Siam,

It's well-known that Asian condoms tend on the small side compared to those available in the west and they are often of inferior quality as well. I suggest you buy some reliable British or American condoms over the internet and have them sent to you. Or get a mate back home to send you some. My partner went out to Thailand a few months ago and I put a couple dozen condoms in his bag.

And ditto what Andy said.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.