Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:21:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 668
Total: 670

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Same-sex adoption bill passed in NSW Parliament  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
Same-sex adoption bill passed in NSW Parliament
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:30:48 pm »
Now all I need is a husband, I really do like children, but I couldn't eat a whole one!

Same-sex adoption bill passes NSW Parliament Updated 1 hour 46 minutes ago

Gay couples can already adopt in the ACT and Western Australia.

MPs get conscience vote on gay adoption Related Story: Anglicare flags withdrawal over gay adoption bill Related Story: Same-sex adoption bill clears hurdle The New South Wales Parliament has passed legislation allowing same sex couples to adopt.

The bill divided MPs who were given a conscience vote and it was pushed back and forth between both houses as each sought to make amendments.

Under the final provisions, faith-based adoption agencies will be exempt from anti-discrimination considerations.

Also, people giving up children for adoption will have greater certainty that their preferences regarding prospective parents will be met.

Labor frontbencher Frank Sartor says a compromise was reached that finally everyone could support.

"I think we ended up with better law as a result of the arguments that we had," he said.

"But it did take two weeks of debate and wrangling."

Sydney's Lord Mayor and Independent MP Clover Moore says the change has been a long time coming.

"This reform was recommended by the Law Reform Commission in 1997," she said.

"I moved this reform in the house in 2000 but it's taken all this time, but finally we got the vote yesterday."

Minister for Family and Community Services Linda Burney harbours no doubt that the changes will benefit children waiting for adoption.

Ms Burney says it will help many children who would have stayed with gay foster parents until they were 18-years-old.

"They want to be adopted they certainly understand that it's going to be much more stability for them," she said.

"It seems to me that the most vulnerable children in hours state need the same legal status and the same recognition as other children and that's what this bill will achieve."

Tags: family-and-children, adoption, gays-and-lesbians, laws, australia, nsw

First posted Thu Sep 9, 2010 7:25pm AEST
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Same-sex adoption bill passed in NSW Parliament
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:53:17 pm »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 03:09:31 am »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:12:06 am »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 03:16:36 am »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.