Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:39:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 493
Total: 494

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cabenuva problem. Im scared  (Read 10650 times)

Offline SFlSurvive

Cabenuva problem. Im scared
« on: July 06, 2022, 08:08:42 pm »
So i started Cabenuva about 2 months ago. It took about 6 months for my doctor to approve me. I figured he went through all my charts to approve me. I have taken 2 shots so far. I recently went through ny charts and i had a phenotype resistance test in 2016 which shows I have a low level resistance to the ripilvirine which is one of the medicines in cabenuva. There was a genotype resistance test done in 2018 and it showed I was not resistant to riplivirine. So now i have been on this combo for 2 months and I guess I was not supposed to ve eligible for it. I dont understand how I was approved when I was not suppose to. Now i am scared I will become resistance to all the art regimens and my disease is progressing. I am scared and cant sleep. This is killing me. I was undetectable for 4 years on biktarvy now im afraid it wont work fot me again. This is horrible.
God got me through!

Offline daveR

Re: Cabenuva problem. Im scared
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 09:12:30 pm »
Raise the issue with you health care provider. Unfortunately there won't be a great deal that can be done through the internet. If it is the same Dr who has been treating you from day one he should be fully up to speed with your resistance history.
I see no reason why you can't switch to another oral regime if required. There are many to choose from.

Dave

Offline SFlSurvive

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 09:46:47 pm »
Thanks for the reply Dave. I really just needed to vent. This resistance thing just really scares me. I am hoping for a good outcome because I really enjoyed not having to think about taking a pill everyday.  :)
God got me through!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 12:51:30 am »
Sorry to hear that this has you concerned.  Have you spoken to your doctor about these concerns?

Reassuring to see that the 2018 resistance test showed it didn't have drug resistance to rilpivirine.

Before starting the shots, was the protocol followed for one month of taking cabotegravir and rilpivirine pills? During that time and since then on the shots, has the viral load been checked?
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline SFlSurvive

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 02:27:51 am »
Hey Jim. Yes I did take the pills for 30 days before getting the first injection then I got another injection 30 days after that. I just had my labs done last week so I will see if it's working hopefully by next week the latest. My anxiety is through the roof waiting for the results! My doctor had me take another resistance test yesterday to see what it shows now. He says I shouldn't start the biktarvy again until we see the outcome but another dr in the office says I should since the first test showed some resistance. So I will just wait and see. Thanks for responding to my post!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 02:30:47 am by SFlSurvive »
God got me through!

Offline SFlSurvive

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 03:48:29 pm »
Still undetectable so it seems to be working thank God. Waiting on the next resistance test to see if I need to switch still.
God got me through!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 07:38:16 am »
My anxiety is through the roof waiting for the results!
try not to let this get to you so much. IF resistance is an issue and you have a rising VL, you can simply go back to your previous regimen.

It took about 6 months for my doctor to approve me.

i had a phenotype resistance test in 2016 which shows I have a low level resistance to the ripilvirine which is one of the medicines in cabenuva. There was a genotype resistance test done in 2018 and it showed I was not resistant to riplivirine.
do you not trust your doctor's opinion? I'm not saying to blindly follow; but surely y'all discussed this change and you agreed to it for your own reasons, right?

So 6 yrs ago you have a "low level" resistance; 4 years ago you had no resistance, and yet you are quite worried? Have you since mentioned this to your doctor and gotten his stance on this topic.

While I'm not a doctor, I can offer a suggestion of what might have occurred based on what happened with my virus. You developed a low level resistance; you stayed UD for a few years; the HIV with resistance all died out; the latent HIV in your system (that's why we take daily meds to keep this HIV suppressed from reproducing) never had that resistance; and now your HIV is once again not resistant to the med.

Still undetectable so it seems to be working thank God. Waiting on the next resistance test to see if I need to switch still.
um, is this a current undetectable result? if that's true then Cabenuva is working for you, period, the end. No need to switch. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline SFlSurvive

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 10:28:10 pm »
Thanks for the reply leatherman. Yes I just received my lab results the other day and I am still UD. I worry myself crazy at times and need to get my anxiety under control! I really appreciate your input.
God got me through!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 03:31:41 pm »
I worry myself crazy at times and need to get my anxiety under control! I really appreciate your input.
hey! great news! :D

I'd be lying if I didn't say, after 30 yrs of meds, that I didn't get anxious about my test results sometimes. It was so much worse in the early years. Not only was I dealing with changing meds all the time, but I spent a lot of years seriously "aidsy", so I was always tripping about lab results.

Then for the last decade, after miraculously getting a lot better (I guess I just needed a couple decades of meds to knock my HIV on it's ass! LOL) I've worried about whether my results would suddenly start to go bad again. But these days, I don't feel like the "other shoe is going to drop" (and return me to the "bad ol' days"); instead I "worry" that my CD4 count is getting too high. ROFL I mean going over 500 once was freaky; but in the last 2 years, it's gone over 500 three times and even hit 714 once!! WTH I lived for less than 300 cd4s for nearly 25 years, what the heck am I going do to with double that?!?   ;D  ;D

That's about be great using Cabenuva, so kudos again to the great results!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline SFlSurvive

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 09:33:03 pm »
Thanks so much! You are an inspiration!  :)
God got me through!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.