Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:02:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 465
Total: 466

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Nobody notices a lesbian(s), or saluting our Sisters  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Nobody notices a lesbian(s), or saluting our Sisters
« on: August 02, 2011, 04:36:24 am »
source

If a Married Lesbian Couple Saves 40 Teens from the Norway Massacre and No One Writes About it, Did it Really Happen?

1 AUGUST

Hege Dalen and Toril Hansen. Photo: Maija Tammi

By this point, most of you have heard about the tragedy in Norway a few weeks ago when a Christian Fundamentalist murdered 92 people and injured another 96. The story has been well-covered by International media and the mainstream press here in the US.

What you probably have not heard about is the married lesbian couple who rescued 40 teenagers during and after the bloody event. Several blogs and gay and lesbian publications are now picking up the story, but the heavy hitters who usually kill for hero stories like this, have remained silent.

The Finnish capital city’s largest daily newspaper, Helsingin Sanomat, published this account (translated from Finnish):

Hege Dalen and her spouse, Toril Hansen were near Utöyan having dinner on the opposite shore across from the ill-fated campsite, when they began to hear gunfire and screaming on the island.

“We were eating. Then shooting and then the awful screaming. We saw how the young people ran in panic into the lake,” says Dale to HS in an interview.

The couple immediately took action and pushed the boat into Lake Tyrifjorden.

Dalen and Hansen drove the boat to the island, picked up from the water victims in shock in, the young and wounded, and transported them to the opposite shore to the mainland. Between runs they saw that the bullets had hit the right side of the boat.

Since there were so many and not all fit at once aboard, they returned to the island four times.

They were able to rescue 40 young people from the clutches of the killer.

“We did not sleep last night at all. Today, we have been together and talked about the events,” Dalen said.

Please share this story and make sure people know the heroism of Hege and Toril.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Nobody notices a lesbian(s), or saluting our Sisters
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:34:09 am »
They are brave and generous! Heroes!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:25:33 pm »
Haven't heard a word about this and yes usually during these sorts of things the media eats this up.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that they're lesbians or just because it's norwegian so it's not getting as much coverage as a US story.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:54:56 pm »
I am somewhat conflicted about this type of story.  What does being a Lesbian have to do with being a hero?  They should be lauded because of their courage, not their sexuality.  Stories like this tend to confuse the subject I think.  On one hand, they are to be recognized because they are Lesbians, but on the other hand, we want people to judge us for what we do and not based on our sexuality.  Why it could not have read as simply "Couple Saves 40 Teens..." is beyond me.  Again, what relevance is their sexuality?  This seems like an attempt to "normalize" gays, as in "see, even gay people can be heroes". when the reality was that two women had the courage to act to save innocent lives.  And oh, by the way, they happen to be Lesbians.  

edited to add: It could also read "Fortunately, Lesbians saved 40 Teens, because straight people would never do that."
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:09:15 pm by killfoile »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:33:27 pm »
This seems like an attempt to "normalize" gays, as in "see, even gay people can be heroes". when the reality was that two women had the courage to act to save innocent lives.  And oh, by the way, they happen to be Lesbians.
but the heavy hitters who usually kill for hero stories like this, have remained silent.
on one hand, if you really read this article, it is actually implying that the "heroic ladies save 40 children" story seems to NOT be frontpage news because the ladies are lesbians. This story (and others) are trying to bring more light to this incident because a perceived homophobia has been squelching the story.

here's another article that debates whether the mainstream media hasn't picked up the story because of the homosexuality of the rescuers. (there's also some discussion of this in the comment section here talking about the concepts of what this camp was teaching the children.)

and on the other hand, in a world where the USA refuses to grant equal marriage rights to gays because a portion of the population believe gays are "sinful" and "immoral", and where countries like Uganda believe that gays are so worthless and detrimental to society that they should be killed, some "feel good" news about how gays are helpful and heroic should always be appreciated. Since the media likes to paint everything with broad brushes, press like this about heroic lesbians could help counterbalance the press about some gay spitting on a police officer and "spreading aids".
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:36:56 pm by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 11:37:39 pm »
on one hand, if you really read this article, it is actually implying that the "heroic ladies save 40 children" story seems to NOT be frontpage news because the ladies are lesbians. This story (and others) are trying to bring more light to this incident because a perceived homophobia has been squelching the story.

here's another article that debates whether the mainstream media hasn't picked up the story because of the homosexuality of the rescuers. (there's also some discussion of this in the comment section here talking about the concepts of what this camp was teaching the children.)

and on the other hand, in a world where the USA refuses to grant equal marriage rights to gays because a portion of the population believe gays are "sinful" and "immoral", and where countries like Uganda believe that gays are so worthless and detrimental to society that they should be killed, some "feel good" news about how gays are helpful and heroic should always be appreciated. Since the media likes to paint everything with broad brushes, press like this about heroic lesbians could help counterbalance the press about some gay spitting on a police officer and "spreading aids".

I read the story, so I understand what some people believe is happening, but that was not my point.  I agree with what you say, however I now view being gay from a very different country and viewpoint.  Generally, nobody in Canada cares about your sexuality, religion, skin color, nation of origin, etc., because it does not define you as a person.  So from my perspective, their sexuality was not relevant to their brave actions, what mattered is they were two damn brave women who took action.  It's refreshing to live in a country that offers true equal rights and the government even sponsors diversity events, etc., to remind Canadians that no matter where you came from, what matters is you are a Canadian with all that that represents.

I wish all of you could come here and live for five years and see what happens when a country takes diversity to heart.  I'm not saying that hate and violence don't happen, but there is something indescribable about living in a country where people only care who you are, not who they think you are, or not who someone else tells them you are.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 11:54:15 pm »
I now view being gay from a very different country and viewpoint.  Generally, nobody in Canada cares about your sexuality, religion, skin color, nation of origin, etc., because it does not define you as a person.

That's a bit tedious -- there are places in the US (Northeast corridor, LA, SF) that are similar in attitude as Canada (where there are still gay bashings in the news, btw), London, Paris, etc.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 12:02:33 am »
I read the story, so I understand what some people believe is happening, but that was not my point.  I agree with what you say, however I now view being gay from a very different country and viewpoint.  Generally, nobody in Canada cares about your sexuality, religion, skin color, nation of origin, etc., because it does not define you as a person.  So from my perspective, their sexuality was not relevant to their brave actions, what mattered is they were two damn brave women who took action.  It's refreshing to live in a country that offers true equal rights and the government even sponsors diversity events, etc., to remind Canadians that no matter where you came from, what matters is you are a Canadian with all that that represents.

I wish all of you could come here and live for five years and see what happens when a country takes diversity to heart.  I'm not saying that hate and violence don't happen, but there is something indescribable about living in a country where people only care who you are, not who they think you are, or not who someone else tells them you are.

O Candida!

MtD

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:15:17 am »
That's a bit tedious -- there are places in the US (Northeast corridor, LA, SF) that are similar in attitude as Canada (where there are still gay bashings in the news, btw), London, Paris, etc.

I was simply relating my experience since moving to Canada.  I didn't say that Canada was exceptional, I simply contrasted living here, vs living in Fort Lauderdale (where a teenage neighbor threatened to kill us for being gay) and Detroit.  Believe it or not, there is a whole world out here that does not revolve around America.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 12:29:13 am »
Believe it or not, there is a whole world out here that does not revolve around America.

I'm aware of that -- I've travelled to approximately 18 countries in the past 30 years.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 12:45:21 am »
I'm aware of that -- I've travelled to approximately 18 countries in the past 30 years.

I just don't get why you are busting my chops because I am sharing a very unique experience, at least for me.  Not many people get to live in two countries for a period of time and I'm just sharing some differences.  I'm not bashing America, I'm displaying Canadian nationalism, not exceptional-ism.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 12:58:26 am »
Believe it or not, there is a whole world out here that does not revolve around America.
however, the OP posted an article written by Americans in a blog about equality issues (mainly in America). Hence the writer of this article contemplated that the reason why there were NO articles in the mainstream about these 2 women must be attributable to some factor - and he thought the factor was related to gay equality. (oddly enough if he hadn't brought this story to our attention, it still might not be very well known) Now I'm not certain why most of the rest of the world's media isn't reporting about these 2 women but I daresay the American writer is correct that the American media isn't talking about it because of the homosexual side-story.

Just curious, but would you happen to have a link to a Canadian media story about these two women - one that doesn't mention their sexuality? If there is no Canadian reports on this story, one should wonder why the great story of these women isn't news. But if there is a Canadian report and it mentions their sexuality, then that would be no different from the reporting here in America.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline buginme2

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 01:02:07 am »
Isn't it most likely the fact that the US has been entrenched in the "debt crisis" and that no other news has been able to break through that (especially news from another country), than that these ladies are lesbians. 

The mainstream (lamestream as Palin would say) jumped on the gay hero bandwagon when the guy wrestled the plane from the terrorist that crashed in Pennsylvania (whos name escapes me).

Lets roll!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 08:32:12 am »
The news outlets may not want to report lesbian heroes but they definitely want to discuss ad nauseum the Westboro Baptist Church and their latest picketing target: the furnerals in Norway. WHY must this little fringe cult get headlines, which is MILLIONS of dollars of advertisin­g, every time they decide to picket. They hate gays... we get it. Huffington Post and the other news agencies are supporting Westboro Baptist Church every time they create a headline over their antics.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/04/westboro-baptists-church-norway_n_917388.html

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 05:14:59 pm »
Westboro Baptist Church and their latest picketing target: the furnerals in Norway.
I wouldn't wish those assholes on anyone but thank god they'll be out of America for a while. ;)

I do agree with you, and wrote an email to HuffPo editors, that these people are too tiny and too fringe to deserve the press that they get.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline buginme2

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 08:18:02 pm »

I do agree with you, and wrote an email to HuffPo editors, that these people are too tiny and too fringe to deserve the press that they get.

Noooooo!! The Westboro Baptist Church has furthered along gay rights more than most "gay rights" organizations ever could.  Keep on preaching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Keep On!!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.