Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:42:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 625
Total: 626

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Little Children and others  (Read 2583 times)

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
Little Children and others
« on: October 31, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »

Okay, I am stealing from Jason/MSPspud's thread trail on the Saw movies by starting another one. But this one about several of the upcoming "Oscar hopefuls". I am hideously behind on seeing films this fall, which I think is always the best time because awards season is upon us.

Films that need some serious discussion for those that have or are interested in seeing:

Little Children - Kate Winslet is not only super hot, but a brilliant actress; and Todd Field (of In the Bedroom fame) is a great director
http://www.littlechildrenmovie.com/

The Queen - Helen Mirren. Need I saw more...?
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/thequeen/

Babel - My other favorite Cate and Brad
http://www.paramountvantage.com/babel/

The Last King of Scotland - I did my masters in African politics at (oddly enough) Univ of Edinburgh in Scotland ... so am naturally curious to see this.
http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/thelastkingofscotland/

Other ones I'm missing here that are getting good buzz? Or performances?

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: Little Children and others
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 05:15:03 pm »
I am curious to how The Queen is going to do....I also liked Helen Mirren in Elizabeth 1...All the others, I don't know about but The Queen has my vote.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 09:48:34 pm »
Mirren is amazing in Elizabeth I. Impressive that she did both roles this year - two of the most fascinating figures in world history, and certainly in the British monarchy.

Planning on making it to see both Children and The Queen this week.

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 09:23:25 am »
Alas, I have seen none of these movies!  I seriously need to widen my movie interests.  Last year I had seen almost all of the Oscar hopefuls.  I don't know what happened this year ?!?

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 09:42:27 pm »

I saw The Queen today. And here is a short review:

Mirren is excellent, as always. I couldn't shake the feeling that this was a made-for-TV movie that a studio designed specifically to give her the chance to play this character, however. The story was somewhat silly, and it made a lot of what I can only assume were broad interpretations about the Royal family's reactions following Diana's death. The princes - William and Harry - are edited out all together, which is strange given that the Queen continuously talks about "her boys", and the guy who plays Tony Blair seems to be trying his darndest to be a cartoon version of the leader. (The actress who plays his wife can be seen on camera playing with her less than stellar attempts at Cherie's mannerisms.)

Perhaps this is all nit picky stuff. It does capture the paucity and frump of British culture well - although I found when I lived in Edinburgh that most people say that hate (but quietly love) the Royals. It does leave you with the impression that the monarchy could be ready for retirement once ERII dies - I have a hard time imagining Charles running the shop, and William doesn't seem to want the attention, much like his mother.

Just one person's opinion. Would be curious of other thoughts.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.