Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:19:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772961
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 185
Total: 185

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Killed a cat with my car 30 minutes ago.  (Read 12132 times)

Offline blondbeauty

Killed a cat with my car 30 minutes ago.
« on: May 02, 2008, 10:16:11 pm »
It is now 4.00 am here in Madrid. I was coming back home when a young cat suddenly appeared between two parked cars. I pressed the brake of my car so heavily that I could feel the ABS. The car stopped I and could not see the cat. I moved the car a few meters forward and saw the cat struggling and suffering on the road. It jumped over a meter high and rolled all over the road. It was like a fish out of the water fighting for its life. I couldn't move or get off the car. I thought of moving the car backwards to finish with its suffering but did not have the courage to do it. I was paralyzed. After 3 minutes the cat died.
A car of the security personnel appeared on the road. I told the guard about what happened. He said he had just seen it and it was finally dead.
I have only killed flyes, ants and dropped a sea monkey tank in the past.
I feel terrible. I don't know if I am going to be able to sleep tonight. Diana (my dog) is waiting for me on my bed.
 :'( :'( :'(
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Snowangel

Re: Killed a cat with my car 30 minutes ago.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 10:22:59 pm »
Sorry, I know you must feel awful.  You tried your best to stop and at least you stopped to see how the cat was, people around here just keep going.  Try not to stress too much over it ,you did what you could.

Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 12:04:07 am »
Juan, honey, I know it feels terrible but it's not your fault. Cats chase imaginary bugs so who knows why it jumped in the path of your car.  The same thing happened to me 11 years ago, and I called my mother crying because I still had to go to the grocery to buy food for my four kittens, and I wanted to give a kitten to the owner of the cat but there was no way to ID them.  

Diana is there with you for good and for bad, and she doesn't care which. You can tell her all about it and she loves you no matter what.

Hugs and a smooch,
Creighton

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 01:24:52 am »
Juan, it was an accident that you had absolutely no control over, i'm sorry you have to have this on your mind.

xox
Matt

Offline VM-Bass

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 02:06:47 am »
As a cat lover, I'm always sorry to hear about the loss of a little furry one.  But, as others have said, you did everything you could to avoid it, and that's just the way it is sometimes.  Let it go...the little furry one would want you to.   :)

At least you don't live in Texas.  I once hit an armadillo with my car.  It caused nearly $1000 worth of damage to the front end.   ;D ;D  (Sorry, I just had to throw that in there...)

1/11/08                  4/14/08         6/12/08

CD4: 927                    838               883
CD4%: 42                    40                 47
Viral Load: 2170           926               173

The friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel...
---Shakespeare

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 06:27:46 am »
Sorry this happened, but as others have said, it was unavoidable.  Forgive yourself. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 06:44:09 am »
Its a bad feeling when that happens.
You did stop to see if you could help, don't blame yourself my friend.

Lucas

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 10:00:07 pm »
Matty the Damned is a noted cat hater. He welcomes the news that the world has one less cat in it.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 10:09:23 pm »
Matty the Damned is a noted cat hater. He welcomes the news that the world has one less cat in it.

MtD

Hissssssssssssssssssssssssss
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 11:54:50 pm »
Yairs,

That's the noise the brute made as it's punctured lungs deflated.

:)

MtD

Offline David_CA

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 08:54:19 am »

MtD

David would expect no less (and certainly no more) from MtD.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 02:49:04 pm »
I am feeling OK now. Fortunately, the next morning the cat had been removed so I didnīt have to see it again.
 :-\ :-\ :-\
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.

Offline BikerGuy

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 06:01:04 pm »
Yairs,

That's the noise the brute made as it's punctured lungs deflated.

MtD
!!!Snap!!!
that's the sound of an arm breaking
Anall nathrach - Oorfas bethud - Dorhiel dienvay

Offline draco

• I'm a real Monet... or is it Magritte?
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 06:31:54 pm »
Yairs,

That's the noise the brute made as it's [sic] punctured lungs deflated.

MtD

That should be "its" obviously. 

If one is writing horrible things it's incumbent on him to do so without leaving opportunities for those repelled by rabidly anti-feline sentiments (sentiments which could have been spared in this thread) to criticize any aspect of his expression, for to do so opens the question of the expression's validity.

Pedantically,

Drac

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 06:41:14 pm »
That should be "its" obviously.

If one is writing horrible things it's incumbent on him to do so without leaving opportunities for those repelled by rabidly anti-feline sentiments (sentiments which could have been spared in this thread) to criticize any aspect of his expression, for to do so opens the question of the expression's validity.

Pedantically,

Drac

You're new here, aren't ya? :)

Matty the Damned i's not bou'nd by mortal r'ules of grammar. He place's a'p'o's't'rophe's whe'rever he dam'n well pleas'es.

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 07:14:57 pm »
!!!Snap!!!

Not wild about this little comment at all, David.  It's one thing to make some black humor jibes (a la ALF) about the demise of a kitty.  It's quite another to make sport of someone (a human being ) for getting gay bashed.

Not cool.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 07:21:13 pm »
!!!Snap!!!

Yeah, what's this all about?  Disturbing, to say the least.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 07:21:34 pm »
Not wild about this little comment at all, David.  It's one thing to make some black humor jibes (a la ALF) about the demise of a kitty.  It's quite another to make sport of someone (a human being ) for getting gay bashed.

Not cool.

I agree. Totally uncalled for, David.

For the record, I'm a cat lover - I have three. I also recognise black humour when I see it - and I recognise plain old bitchiness when I see it too.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline draco

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 07:40:41 pm »
Matty the Damned i's not bou'nd by mortal r'ules of grammar. He place's a'p'o's't'rophe's whe'rever he dam'n well pleas'es.

MtD

You, George Bernard Shaw, and about 98% of people who chat online or post on such spurious spots as youtube and myspace.

Put your money where your mouth is.  Blog unbound by them pesky rules.

Drac

I don't wish to start anything but I found the "snap" comment no worse than those it responded to, and the humour is as black as matty's.   It was clearly not a physical threat, which would have been inappropriate.   Expressions of cruelty accepted as humour have boundaries but I do not believe the poster needed to be chastised if the original poster was not.  Possibly I am not yet attuned to the communal vibes of this space. 

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 07:50:07 pm »
You, George Bernard Shaw, and about 98% of people who chat online or post on such spurious spots as youtube and myspace.

Put your money where your mouth is.  Blog unbound by them pesky rules.

Drac

I don't wish to start anything but I found the "snap" comment no worse than those it responded to, and the humour is as black as matty's.   It was clearly not a physical threat, which would have been inappropriate.   Expressions of cruelty accepted as humour have boundaries but I do not believe the poster needed to be chastised if the original poster was not.  Possibly I am not yet attuned to the communal vibes of this space. 

Perhaps you're not. The snap comment was in reference to a gay bashing a member of the forum received resulting in a very serious injury.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 07:50:18 pm »
Possibly I am not yet attuned to the communal vibes of this space.[/b] 

The vibe is that it was a direct dig at someone (Matty) who had his arm broken in a horrible gay bashing several months back.

I'm sorry...anyone on here will attest that I love teh animals (especially the dogs, but kitties are cool also), but I don't put the comments on the same plane.  At all.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 07:55:42 pm »
You are making a joke out of this because you didnīt see what I saw. It was a nightmare to see the agony of that poor animal. No living creature deserves a death like that one.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 08:11:01 pm »
You are making a joke out of this because you didnīt see what I saw. It was a nightmare to see the agony of that poor animal. No living creature deserves a death like that one.

I'm still thinking about this, and furrowing my brow about it as well. I'm so sorry this happened, it's just a terrible thing, and there's no one to blame. Even if it's an indoor cat, they want to go outside and run around...that's what cats do, and you can hardly blame them for being a cat.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:15:27 pm by Basquo »

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 08:13:10 pm »
Hello Juan,
Im very sorry that you went through this traumatic experience.  It was an unfortunate accident and Im sure in the moment you did everything humanly possible.  You're obviously a very sensitive man, so please dont be so hard on yourself.  It was something that couldnt be prevented.
Take care.
Jeff

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 08:15:18 pm »

For the record, I'm a cat lover - I have three. I also recognise black humour when I see it - and I recognise plain old bitchiness when I see it too.

Ann

OH so that's what it was!  "Black Humour" 

Yeah right!

It was nothing more than another example of a cruel and insensitive post.   One in this case, apparently endorsed and cooperated in by none other than a moderator.  (Or was she participating as a "member"?  I'm never really sure anymore.)

Isn't it interesting that one member is so consistently at the center of controversy and yet it is allowed to continue?  One can only wonder the dilema the moderators faced recently.  Too bad they didn't give more consideration to those who no longer participate vs their anxiety over what would happen if they stuck to the rules.

Just for the record.  I think the pattern is obvious,  I mean no disrespect and I certainly have no hard feelings.

After all, this thread was originally about a tragic and painful accident, and yet has some how become about a specific member. 

Am I the only one who has seen this pattern before?

RAB

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 08:21:21 pm »

After all, this thread was originally about a tragic and painful accident, and yet has some how become about a specific member. 

It wasn't about a specific member until BikerGuy made the remark in reference to Matty's gay bashing incident.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline draco

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 08:33:30 pm »
My apologies.  I was obviously ignorant of the attack of Matty and that his arm was broken and see how you would interpret the remark.

As an ostensibly "objective" viewer (a new member) may I suggest Matty's original post, in the thread it was in, was as inappropriate as the one in reference to him?  None of Matty's posts were appropriate and from what I just read the original poster again expressed real sadness and sorrow over the accident and doesn't appreciate the humour, black or otherwise.

Unless there is personal animosity I am unaware of I assume David would not have made his snap comment if Matty had not written or been truly chastised for his unkind remarks to another forum member in pain. 

Again, making a joke about gay bashing (or black/white/yellow, woman, mexican bashing, etc...) isn't appropriate but making light of the misery of someone else because it was merely a cat doesn't strike me as excusable either.  I mean, I thought we are here to support each other, but please let me know if I'm wrong about that as well. 

I seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot... centipede that I am.

Drac

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 08:44:31 pm »
Can we put the hijack of this thread to rest now please?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 08:48:20 pm »
Judging someone's character based entirely upon two comments made in an entirely tongue-in-cheek manner is absurd.

The truth of the matter is from what I know of Matty over the past couple of years, he has a great respect for any living thing (though I think he really doesn't like cats  ;D).

Just because someone decides to make a humorous remark does not give someone the excuse to attack them, no matter how much they find it offensive. What is off limits to you is not off limits to the entire world, and everyone else is not to be subjected to your morals, whatever they may be in terms of subjects that are supposed to be sacred and, god forbid, not to be joked about.

I sincerely hope nobody ever spout off a dead baby joke here. The horror!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 08:49:33 pm »
Can we put the hijack of this thread to rest now please?

But I just wrote a devastating retort.   >:(
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 08:53:29 pm »
But I just wrote a devastating retort.   >:(

OK  clearly it's time to put this to bed.  While I stand by my previous post, it's obvious that the inent (message) has been overlooked.

Blondbeauty, I'm truly sorry for the pain you must have felt for the accident you described.

RAB

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 09:57:20 pm »
Comparing a cat that got run over to a respected member of these forums who had broken bones as a result of a bashing is like comparing a mother bird who kills one of her babies to people who put live human babies in microwaves.  In other words, there is no reasonable comparison.  It was highly insensitive and brutal.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 09:59:21 pm »
I googled the words "kitty" and "matty" and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x30kYRp6Y68
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Basquo

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 10:01:26 pm »
Comparing a cat that got run over to a respected member of these forums who had broken bones as a result of a bashing is like comparing a mother bird who kills one of her babies to people who put live human babies in microwaves.  In other words, there is no reasonable comparison.  It was highly insensitive and brutal.

Exactly..there's no reasonable comparison.  Juan didn't run over a cat because he hates cats. I don't know why "hate" even came into this thread in the first place.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 10:02:34 pm »

Ann

Yeah, I guess it's ok for somebody to make light of something that's really got the OP upset.  YOU may have recognized it, but do you think the OP did?
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 10:18:27 pm »
Ok guys. I'm assuming the cat has been put to rest now so how about we put the rest of this thread to rest and lets be done with it now.

I'm a great animal lover and hate to see any animals suffer, and understand the how upsetting it can be  but it's time to move on now...thank you.

Hugs
Jan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 10:21:14 pm »
Blondbeauty, I'm sorry for what happened to you, in your car and in the forum. 
It's a complex world

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 07:36:41 pm »
Hi to everyone!
I have received an apology from a member in these forums about hijacking this thread. I donīt think anybody should be offended. I wasnīt.
I only want to remark that being involved in a similar situation is not pleasent at all watever the animal or living creature involved.
There is no need to apologize. I am sure the cat is in heaven amazed with all what is going on here. At least its anonymous death has not been so anonimous. I am sure no cat has ever received so much attention after dead.
The incident made me remember what they told me at the driving school: "if the animal is small and too close, never try to stop the car. You might have an accident."

Offline quarterhorsetn

• "Shoot her, shoot her in the head Wardell"!
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2008, 09:01:29 pm »
Blondbeauty,

I am very glad to hear this! For several day after reading this, I had been reminded of why I rarely participate with forum conversation, and instead choose to browse through and read what is of interest to me. Animals tend to be the easiest victims of any kind of crime, because they have no voice, and rely upon us to care for them, and protect them as much as possible. A car accident involving an animal cannot be avoided, this is true, but no one should find the death of any animal funny. Crimes against humans are certainly on a higher level, and I understand that it should be that way, but when we disregard the life of any animal because of what kind it is, are we any less barbaric than someone who perscutes another human being for what they are? Just saying!

Brian
Brian

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 01:17:58 am »
I remember driving through New Zealand with all the billboards requesting you to RUN OVER THE POSSUMS. they make great gloves and hats

seriously

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 12:16:55 pm »
Thank God I have never run over a cat (or dog) .  Many years ago I ran over a Possum.  My friend (a girl) in the car with me started crying.  I don't even know if it died.  They are very dumb animals and as I slowed down it walked right in my way.

One time I saw a cat that had been run over but was not killed.  It was jerking around in pain like the android in "Aliens".  I also thought about running it over to put it out of it's misery but decided against it.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.