Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:11:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 664
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 661
Total: 662

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When do you tell the family and friends?  (Read 4759 times)

Offline BubbaPat

• Bubba hugs!
When do you tell the family and friends?
« on: April 04, 2008, 03:16:36 am »
 ???
Okay... so I'm wondering how most of you other have told your family and friends?

For me, my partner and I found out we were both positive about 8 years ago.  Other than him, no one knows unless they read my medical chart while I wasn't looking the last time I was in the hospital.  I have told TWO people, both of whom I played softball with at different times.  Both instances were spur of the moment because at the time, they were confirming with their positive status as part of a conversation.  I mentioned mine to put them at ease.

I guess I'm curious because I feel like I'm in an odd place.  When I first found out, I didn't tell anyone because I was moving out of the state and didn't want to give them something else to worry about.  I never told me mother because she simply wasn't in her right state of mind when I left and this would have just been wasted conversation.  I didn't tell the rest of my family because they are all considerably older than I and have their own medical issues to worry about.  As for my friends, a few are still dealing with some fairly recent deaths of friends I didn't know and the others are having their own physical problems.

For myself, I don't want the attention of "having HIV" yet at the same time, I'd like to bitch about missing doses, the high cost of insurance, the constantly changing insurance polices or anything that everyone complains about.  I tell myself its childish and just to let it go but it keeps nagging at me.  Is it wrong?  Am I being childish? 

Let me know what you all think.  I'm very interested to hear what each of you has to say.

Bubba hugs!
Patrick
Bubba hugs!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: When do you tell the family and friends?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 03:43:33 am »
Matty the Damned has found that "when" is ultimately a personal decision that has to be considered in light of numerous personal and cultural factors.

He has learned from bitter experience, however, that you should never tell a family member that you're HIV positive when he or she is driving.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 03:47:18 am »
Hi Bubba

I wish I could help you, I have always been very open about my status from the day I was diagnosed, for what it's worth it's not wrong or childish wanting to talk, vent or discuss your HIV with others.

I know you don't want to upset your family because they have their own medical problems, but you know what, that doesn't make your medical problems any less important...your life is important and I think they shloud be made aware of it, we need all the support we can get, but I don't think anyone can honestly telll you when to disclose, this is something only you can decide, I'm sure you will know when the time is right.

Until then you will always have the support here when you need to talk.

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 06:12:15 am »
Hey Bubba, I've always been very open about my HIV status with family and friends.  There were a lot of questions, mainly from my mum.  Yes, there were some crazy ideas re how HIV is actually transmitted, but the support I've gotten is far greater than any frivilous ideas.

It is a very personal choice, like the Damned One said.  However, just because other people have their own medical problems, that doesn't mean yours aren't equally as important.  I might lose a finger and another person be missing a whole hand; but that doesn't make my injury hurt any less.  Good luck to you.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

tendai

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 06:38:10 am »
i havent told anyone in my family. tell one person and everyone will know within hours! i dont want them feeling sorry for me, i dont want to burden them, i'm embarrassed. three years after diagnosis i still cant bring myself to tell them. i've joked about it saying things like "thats what happens when u got AIDS" like when im sick but they dont take me seriously. i will tell them when i feel they need to know, i guess. maybe.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:59:54 am »
I don't tell unless I have to. After 15 years most of my family and friends don't know.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 10:11:34 am »
After a lot of heart-wrenching consideration, we decided to be very open about Mini's status.  At only 7 1/2, she speaks very openly about her HIV.  For us, the decision was two-fold.  First and foremost, it was about debunking the shame and stigma of the virus and giving her the power of being herself.

Secondly, it was about safety.  Children who will share nothing else, will share cooties.  By being open about Mini's HIV, it allowed us to have conversations with her friends' parents about how thier kids (and their illnesses) were much more dangerous to Mini than her virus was to them.  It made them more willing to keep snotty noses and tummy issues at home.

And, like you, I like to gripe and complain about meds, rising costs of insurance, side-effects, and doctors. ;)  Welcome to the forums.  You have found yourself among some of the finest folks in the world.  As Jan said, we are always here whenever you need to talk.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:18:32 am »
For myself, I don't want the attention of "having HIV" yet at the same time, I'd like to bitch about missing doses, the high cost of insurance, the constantly changing insurance polices or anything that everyone complains about. .....Quote Bubba
Well, my experience is that poeple really dont want to hear about all that you are going thru and would rather you kept the information to yourself.  I'm not sure if its because they hate to see you hurting and upset or if it upsets them.  Maybe you have better friends than I do, but thats what my experience is.
edited to add:  And thats why I come here:: so I can let it all out.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 12:15:12 pm by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:35:22 am »
argh

Hopefully you won't have to run into this scenario, but who would you rather tell your mother if you were very sick in the hospital? you or some doctor with terrible bedside manner?

I think it's a very personal matter and deep down inside you probably know what's best.
In my situation I have to keep reminding my mother when she tells friends  "He has cancer and he's in remission"  ..."No, mom. I have AIDS and I'm on HAART"  I think in my mom's mind she heard "cancer" and that is more acceptable to her.  oh well...

Sharkie

Offline David_CA

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 10:41:25 am »
As for telling my family... that was easy.  I told mine when I was in the hospital for 8 days with PCP.  It's kind of hard to lie to my dad - he's a doctor and knows PCP pneumonia isn't 'normal' (as well as my dad).  My mom lives here in town and we go to the same Dr's office, plus I didn't want to lie.  I couldn't keep my sister in the dark after my mom and dad knowing, so I told her, too (actually, I had my mom do it; I was too sick).  I've told a few friends... maybe 10-12.  Most are stable, long-term friends whom I trust.  I also tell anybody when they tell me their positive status.  I will say that, although it's been difficult each time, I've always felt better after I've told people.  I am selective, but those I've told seem to feel a bit closer after my confiding in them and have respected my confidence.  Even when they've had their own health issues, mine have never been a burden.  Good luck figuring it all out... it sure ain't easy!

David

edited to add... see the post above by sharkie.  That's exactly why my family found out!
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline BubbaPat

• Bubba hugs!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 05:31:43 pm »
 ;D  Thanks everyone for chiming in.

I guess misery loves company because a few of you are in the same boat and somehow I feel better.  Knowing that one is not alone is a comfort.

I've never really been good at lying, just avoiding the truth.  Add to that the fact that I was nearly 200 miles from everyone and you get a recipe of "I'll tell them later."  Even when I too had PCP pneumonia, it was easy for me not to tell my family.  Even my doctor wasn't quite sure what happened when I got it.  (This is yet another of my life adventure that I can tell later.)

Keep the comments coming folks, I'd love to hear more input.

And again, Thank you Matt, Jan, Betty, Mum, Sharkie and David.  You too Tendai, GSO and Bear.

Bubba hugs kids!   ;D
Bubba Pat
Bubba hugs!

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 06:47:28 am »
Just a few friends and my doc. No one else. Why? Well, I already have many issues with my own HIV, to add their worries about me. So it is easier for me if they are ok, instead of worrying about me.

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 07:17:30 am »
I WAS DIAGNOISED BACK IN 1992 WHEN I CAME DOWN WITH SHINGLES.most of my family knows but it is never discussed.my mother never knew and i think it would have killed her ,she dies 2 yrs later,my father still doesn't know and at this point i see no point in telling him!!i think the isolation is the worst factor with being hiv+.all my friends have died and i am truthfully the last one left!!i seem only to exist in this life but i am not living.if i had my choice i would choose to die,no regrets,no pain,no feelings,nothing,JUST GONE AND FORGOTTEN!!

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 07:37:37 am »
Oh Armando, I'm so sorry.  I wish it could be different.

I've had it easy so far, but I can feel the vise tightening.  It's a prison with no walls and no escape.

I have told only former sex partners.  I've always kept my personal affairs private.  HIV is no different.  I do not want people viewing me with a mixture of pity and scorn. 

My mother is 75 years old.  How would it enrich her life to know that her eldest child has AIDS? 
It's a complex world

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 12:51:19 pm »
My family told me. It seems that I was exhibiting 'strange and unusual behaviour' for a 16 year old boy....not dating girls, not talking about girls, not looking at girls, not giving the corect answer to "ronnie, do you have a girlfriend?" One night, they were all in the living room and asked me to "sit down, let's have a talk" in which I learned all kinds of things I had been wondering about, and a few that I had never thought of, but now could wonder about, such as, "do you know what two men could do with each other?" I just asked, "no, tell me" which my first step father proceeded to give in such detail that my mother fled the room with my sisters while I was almost scared straight that he knew so much about it. (I hated my first stepfather, and wanted to be nothing like him)  Anyway, Mom just basically worried for me as ' you could be locked up and thrown in the dungeon and the keys thrown away....she has a completely different outlook now. My sisters accepted the news from the upstart and without missing a beat started asking for 'tips' on how to please their man...

I have never been good at keeping things in either, and we all discuss everything anyway, Mom was the first person I called after getting the reults. No comdemnation, no outburtst, just, "well, what do we need to do now?"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 12:54:55 pm by rondrond »
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 03:16:38 pm »
I told all of my closest friends the evening of the day I found out. That was in September 1988. And I only told them all at once because I think I was sort of in shock at my doctor’s prognosis of having only six months left to live. Of course if I had agreed to go on meds back then that might have turned out to be true. Foolish doctors.

Years later I told my mother, who in turn spread the news among my "family," which is in quotes because I consider them only relatives really. My close friends are my real family. Apart from medical professionals, I see no need to let anyone else know my health status. It’s none of their business, in other words.

;)

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.