Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:41:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 167
Total: 168

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: undecided voters  (Read 6034 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
undecided voters
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:01:41 am »
During tonight's debate all the networks will be bantering around thoughts concerning undecided voters.  I have a question and thought I would turn to the political astute minds here for some answers.  Obama has been running for office for 1 1/2 years or more and McCain has been running basically since 2000, a little respite in 2004.  Three weeks before the election could someone explain how there are voters who haven't made their minds up yet?  For me once the primary is over I know exactly who I will vote for, of course I know many people are not as party loyal as me.  However, less that 3 weeks and one still doesn't know, could someone explain.....
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Dachshund

Re: undecided voters
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:23:04 am »
During tonight's debate all the networks will be bantering around thoughts concerning undecided voters.  I have a question and thought I would turn to the political astute minds here for some answers.  Obama has been running for office for 1 1/2 years or more and McCain has been running basically since 2000, a little respite in 2004.  Three weeks before the election could someone explain how there are voters who haven't made their minds up yet?  For me once the primary is over I know exactly who I will vote for, of course I know many people are not as party loyal as me.  However, less that 3 weeks and one still doesn't know, could someone explain.....

Let daddy try to explain it to you baby, because in reality, it's pretty much a myth. Once my coffee kicks in I'll dig up all the historical research that proves it. In past elections the supposed "independents" have had very little effect on the outcome of elections. Maybe the election of Reagan in 80, but they weren't really independents, but rather conservative, white southern democrats, that found their natural home. This a narrative the media likes to perpetuate because it keeps you tuned in. People HAVE made up their minds, but if it will make sleep better, all polling indicates Obama is way ahead among independents.

What really counts is voter turnout. We have a big advantage in registered voters, but they got to vote!

So your assignment grasshopper is to check in with fivethirtyeight.com everyday and sleep peacefully. Check out the data on early polling results. ;D

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

Offline atlq

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:24:49 am »
 It is beyond me Woodman.... Perhaps they are morons?..... I am being semi-serious, you are either pro-choice or not; pro universal healthcare or not; for the Iraq War or not; in favor of maintaining the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy or not; for federal investment to create jobs and prime the economic pump or not; for ENDA or not; for civil unions  and the federal benefits they would entail or not;.....if after looking at that list, you can say "well, guess I'll have to flip a coin.."......maybe some critical mental facility is missing.....just sayin'
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline David_CA

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:48:20 am »
Actually, I think there are some who haven't decided.  By this, I mean that they KNOW who they want to vote for, but aren't sure if they can 'bring themselves' to vote for a (1) non-white - Obama or (2) non-male - in the case of Hilary or Palin as VP. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:49:22 am »
One thing I DETEST about CNN is their "room full of independent undecideds" that they interview on debate nights.   Why would ANYONE want to hear what these morons have to say?   You're an idiot if you haven't made up your mind yet.  Period.  The choices are VERY CLEAR.

Personally, I think they are 'milking' the system, probably being paid some kind of participation fee by CNN for doing the polls, etc.   I change the channel when they come on.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 09:58:04 am »
Auntie I am sleeping much better these days and have become a frequent visitor to fivethirtyeight and check it daily to help calm my nerves.

It is beyond me Woodman.... Perhaps they are morons?..... I am being semi-serious, you are either pro-choice or not; pro universal healthcare or not; for the Iraq War or not; in favor of maintaining the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy or not; for federal investment to create jobs and prime the economic pump or not; for ENDA or not; for civil unions  and the federal benefits they would entail or not;.....if after looking at that list, you can say "well, guess I'll have to flip a coin.."......maybe some critical mental facility is missing.....just sayin'

Exactly, to me the choice and decision making is in the primary.  I can understand someone supporting certain things from the Democratic platform and certain things from the Republican platform, being pro-life, anti gay, however still want universal healthcare and to end the occupation of Iraq.  If you support things from both parties I guess it can be difficult to decide.  However less than 3 weeks out and they haven't decided with all that is out there.  If you listen to the talking heads about 1/3 of the ballots will already be cast before the polls open and when the polls do open some voters will be standing in line trying to decide. I suppose these people are like the ones that spend 10 minutes at the McDonald's counter trying to decide what they want.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Cliff

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:06:34 am »
According to the Daily Show, the composition of the undecided voter is:

- Attention seekers
- Racist Democrats
- Chronically insecure
and 45% are just stupid

The Stupid Vote:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=187570&title=the-stupid-vote

Offline atlq

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 10:11:01 am »

I can understand someone supporting certain things from the Democratic platform and certain things from the Republican platform, being pro-life, anti gay, however still want universal healthcare and to end the occupation of Iraq.  If you support things from both parties I guess it can be difficult to decide.   .......... I suppose these people are like the ones that spend 10 minutes at the McDonald's counter trying to decide what they want.

Yes,  there are a number of voters that fall into that category (I guess I just don't know any)....my suspicion however, is that the vast majority of these folks give relatively little thought to issues and are voting irrationally  (is he/she "more like me" or "is he/she winning?" etc).....for these folks elections are like ordering at McDonald's...they don't understand or care about the true cost of what they are ordering and it all tastes the same....isn't democracy grand?... :)

Offline atlq

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 10:11:32 am »
According to the Daily Show, the composition of the undecided voter is:

- Attention seekers
- Racist Democrats
- Chronically insecure
and 45% are just stupid

The Stupid Vote:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=187570&title=the-stupid-vote

lol....lol....

Offline Dennis

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 10:14:42 am »
I would also add that voting, at one point and time, use to be a very private matter to some.  Especially th older generation.  Some of those alleged independents may not care to divulge to the public at large who they are voting for.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 10:20:56 am »
Simply put. Independents don't swing elections, but voter turnout does. That's why Republicans use every trick in the book to foster voter suppression.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:32:28 am by Dachshund »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 11:00:17 am »
Alas, a heavy air seems to be hanging over the hillsides in deepest red state Georgia.  You can almost hear a collective deep sigh of resignation. 

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline atlq

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 11:43:17 am »
Alas, a heavy air seems to be hanging over the hillsides in deepest red state Georgia.  You can almost hear a collective deep sigh of resignation. 

Nope....

http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/10/15/34124/652

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 12:18:52 pm »
Nope....

http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/10/15/34124/652

Yep.  I am not talking out of my ass here.  I don't give a crap what yet another blogger, pundit or talking head weighs in with.  I'm talking about what I see first-hand up here in the hills.  However solidly Georgia may be as a red state (and do note that I tagged it above as "deepest red state Georgia"), there is a palpable sense that the race on the national scale is slipping away from them.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 12:29:58 pm »
And in the very deepest blue First Congressional District of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania where we voted for John Kerry at 80%, and I predict Obama will easily top, we are all pouring champagne already :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline atlq

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 12:38:01 pm »
Yep.  I am not talking out of my ass here.  I don't give a crap what yet another blogger, pundit or talking head weighs in with.  I'm talking about what I see first-hand up here in the hills.  However solidly Georgia may be as a red state (and do note that I tagged it above as "deepest red state Georgia"), there is a palpable sense that the race on the national scale is slipping away from them.

Nope.....

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/insideradvantage_ga_oh_109.php

DSSC is pouring a few million in for Martin, over 18% of the electorate has voted early, around 39% African American......resignation?  not so much......

Offline atlq

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 12:38:55 pm »
And in the very deepest blue First Congressional District of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania where we voted for John Kerry at 80%, and I predict Obama will easily top, we are all pouring champagne already :)

any excuse for a drink, eh?.... :)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 01:18:13 pm »

any excuse for a drink, eh?.... :)

Only when there's foreskin floating around.

Now, on to "eight years of pure, delicious crazy.'
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 04:14:41 pm »

Nope.....

http://www.pollster.com/blogs/insideradvantage_ga_oh_109.php

DSSC is pouring a few million in for Martin, over 18% of the electorate has voted early, around 39% African American......resignation?  not so much......

Uh...yep.  Look:  I already told you I don't give a rat's ass what poll or blog or talking point or pie chart you're ever-so-eager to whip out. I'm talking about what is being discussed here and now - in real time - among my neighbors and folks in my immediate community. I'm related what I am seeing with my very own eyeballs and hearing discussed with my very own ears up here in this neck of the woods, capiche?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline atlq

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 04:24:46 pm »

Uh...yep.  Look:  I already told you I don't give a rat's ass what poll or blog or talking point or pie chart you're ever-so-eager to whip out. I'm talking about what is being discussed here and now - in real time - among my neighbors and folks in my immediate community. I'm related what I am seeing with my very own eyeballs and hearing discussed with my very own ears up here in this neck of the woods, capiche?

Ummm... O.K. then... (quietly backing away and making no sudden movements)..... :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:38:19 pm by atlq »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.