Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:01:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 491
Total: 494

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I'M BACK!!! WITH UPDATES!!! PLEASE READ :-) AND RESPOND  (Read 8797 times)

Offline darealdealbrotha

I'M BACK!!! WITH UPDATES!!! PLEASE READ :-) AND RESPOND
« on: November 06, 2006, 07:07:08 pm »
Hello, I'm just wondering..how effective is PEP?  If I would've known about it I certainly would've taken it after my possible exposure. 

Offline RapidRod

Re: PEP
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 07:11:55 pm »
Depending on if you had a risk or not and if you started the meds before 72 hours. 85-86% helpful.

Offline darealdealbrotha

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 07:20:51 pm »
Oh okay.  But are they easy to get?  or must you get your primary doc to prescribe them?  how costly are they?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 07:29:42 pm »
PEP is not something lightly embarked upon. It is a very strong drug combo.

Yes, you would need a doctor to authorize it.

It also should be initiated as soon after a possible exposure as possible and not more than 72 hours after same. It is taken for 28 days. For a definitive HIV test result it should be done at 13 weeks after the completion of PEP.

You haven't said anything about the nature of your possible exposure. If you give us some details we can comment about the level of your risk. Many others before you have been worrying needlessly.

Please clarify if there's something further you want us to know.

Andy Velez

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:30:19 pm »
Must be prescribed by your doctor, must be taken for 28 days, and are very expensive. They are not a cure all and my not help you at all. Most people that have received them, never finish taking the meds because of side effects. If you can't be complacent in taking the medication then don't even start.

Offline darealdealbrotha

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 07:48:21 pm »
Wow, this posting is great!! You have definitely made me feel better about not taking PEP.  I had no idea it even existed.  Anyway I had engaged in the highest risk behavior for contracting HIV (unprotected receptive anal sex WITHOUT ejaculation).  The possibility of HIV infection didn't hit me until I talked to a friend about the dangers of PRECUM.  I know precum has HIV present in it but I assumed that there were low levels.  I am very upset with myself for having unprotected sex as I've always used a condom anytime I've had sex.  I engaged in this activity on Sept. 1, 2006 with a man I had known for months.  I saw paper work indicating that he was neg as of June and I know he goes for regular check ups.  I recently spoke to him and he says that he is neg as of mid Sept.  Anyway after my conversation with my friend about precum (sept. 21, 2006) i became extremely worried and I developed a canker sore on the inside of my mouth.  I got tested (orasure) on sept. 25 and was neg (I know I'm in the window period).  I'm worried because on Sept. 28th I started experiencing "symptoms" which included a runny nose, sneezing, sore throat (which lasted for 2 days) and a dry cough which turned productive after i took cough medicine.  My symptoms lasted for 6 days.  The week after I developed another canker sore on the inside of my cheek which lasted a week.  I was fine until Oct. 22nd when I got another cold (sore throat, congestion/runny nose, mucus producing cough).  I didn't develop a fever at all as my temp. remained in the 98.6 range.  I was over the 2nd cold in about a week.  I realize the absense or prescence of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to HIV but i am VERY scared.  I live in a dorm so I know cold viruses are prominent and I also got sick in the beginning of Sept last year.  I also know there are 200 cold viruses and its possible to get colds twice in a 3 week span but I am just really scared.  The internet has plenty of info about ACUTE HIV and it has only added to my stress.  I am a college student and this threat of HIV has seriously been affecting my life before I even get tested in DEC!!!  I can't focus on my school work (this is my senior year) and I should be enjoying my life but instead I'm really afraid.  The guy I was with insists that he's negative but I honestly have no way of knowing.  I am a 21 year old African American male and the guy I was with is a 22 year old Puerto Rican male.  We both fall into the age/minority group that represents the number of new infections..What really bothers me is that I am educated about safer sex and the like, but this one bad experience makes it seem like I've been hypocritical.  I hate the fact that sex can just overtake individuals sometimes.  I am also in the closet.  My fam does NOT know and I can't bare to tell them if Im positive.  The truth is, being gay and being a minority is double trouble.  If I'm pos, I can't bare to tell my mom..atleast not now...some kind words would definitely be appreciated...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 07:55:18 pm »
Let's play the relax and wait and see game and see what your results are in December. There is really no use for you to worry now, there is nothing you can do to change the outcome. Stick your head back in the books and keep studying.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 07:55:40 pm »
dare,

The negative result you had so far is encouraging. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. Under the circumstances, you might want to test at six weeks, as a negative result at this time is unlikely to change. This would enable you to relax until you have your conclusive test at three months.

Good luck. Remember, exposure does not always result in infection, so even if your friend is positive you are still in with a chance of testing negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline darealdealbrotha

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 08:14:31 pm »
Thank you Ann & Friends.  It is so wonderful that this great support system exists for people who are HIV+.  I was just worried and scared at the thought of not being able to accomplish many of the goals I've set forth in my life.  I had planned to go to graduate school right after college, live with friends, maybe pursue acting.  Insurance really scares me because I've read about HIV and insurance bias and it is simply not fair.  I live in Jersey and I'm sure I won't qualify for ADAP.  I guess I'd have to just experience the work force while going to grad school part time in order to obtain insurance?  I would be still covered under my mother, but like I said if I'm positive, I just can't bare to tell her.  Shes a VERY religious Christian woman and the thought of even telling her that I'm gay would seriously give her a heart attack.  I know I am worrying way too much but I can't help it.  I should get back to my homework but I can't seem to stay off this site, its addicting!! You all are soo cool.

Offline darealdealbrotha

Rash
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 08:24:48 pm »
Also I have a quick question about the "rash" that sometimes occurs during seroconversion..  Apparently the rash  occurs mainly on the "trunk"  What exactly is the trunk? Just wondering...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 08:28:29 pm »
Subtract your legs, arms and head and what you have left is the trunk.

Offline darealdealbrotha

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 08:32:00 pm »
Oh okay so it affects your chest and back?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 09:50:39 pm »
You got it. Chest, back, stomach and butt, but really it isn't limited to just the trunk. Just remember symptoms is in no way a way to diagnosis HIV. Most people that get symptoms don't even know or get them at all.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 10:07:49 pm »
Dare,

Do yourself a big favour and do NOT symptom hunt. The body has a way of obliging the mind when it comes to symptoms. We see it all the time in this forum - people start to manifest the symptoms they keep reading about and guess what - 99.99% of them end up testing negative, despite having "every symptom in the book". Don't do that to yourself.

And stop torturing yourself with what iffs over testing positive. Even if you do, there is no reason to believe you will need meds right away (you could go years without) and there is absolutely NO reason why you can't carry on with your life's plans. You can fully expect to live a normal lifespan. But whatever, you are putting the cart waaaay before the horse. Stop it before you literally worry yourself sick.

Now go do your homework young man!

Ann

LOL... just realised your name is da real deal... not dare. ::)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 10:09:55 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline darealdealbrotha

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 10:11:14 pm »
Yes ma'am!!!  :) ;D

Offline darealdealbrotha

I'M BACK!!! WITH UPDATES!!! PLEASE READ :-) AND RESPOND
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 10:44:31 am »
hello everyone!  remember I posted here a few weeks ago about being worried/stressed out that I was hiv+ and it was affecting my school work, etc..  well in the weeks since the posting i pretty much assumed i was positive based on the symtoms (i had flu like symptoms and  2 canker sore approximately 4 weeks after exposure followed by another cold 3 weeks after).  I was worried even before i showed symptoms, simply because I had unprotected receptive anal sex.  anyway, I did a little research and apparently i found out that the person i had sex with was indeed hiv+ (though I'm not 100% accurate, i have no tangible evidence) but I found out through seemingly reliable sources.  he is also a pathological liar.. anyway, I was very worried but I pretty much made peace with myself and my situation.  i did research on treatments, etc (again i know its too premature, but I tend to anticipate way too often) and I even met and started dating a person who is hiv+ (he  is also an hiv counselor) I really like this guy and we are making it official.  he's 23, puerto rican, very sexy and very sweet and he's intelligent.  we were going to have sex but I just didn't feel quite ready yet since i hadn't had sex since the exposure on SEpt. 1.  anyway today I just took an HIV test (orasure 20 min rapid response), and I turned out NEGATIVE!!!! i was very suprised because I showed all the symptoms and the guy i had unprotected receptive intercourse with was poz. I'm still kinda in shock.  Basically, how accurate are the orasure tests (there is no blood in this one, just the swab) and does it really take up to 6 months to show?  It's been 3 months and 7 days.  and does the orasure test measure saliva (i think my mouth couldve been dry) should i get blood work done?  also, does it only take ONE exposure to contract HIV or would you need a few exposures from the same/diff source?  I know that exposure doesn't neccessarily mean infection but what does it take to get infected? 

also, now with my new relationship..if we always use condoms will we be safe? is french kissing and oral sex safe? 

Please respond  (especially Ann, Andy, Rapid, and all the other people that were so quick to respond before..) I'm seriously confused, upset, relieved, and worried at the same time...I may still be in the window period and not even know it...I believe things happen for a reason and if I do turn out NEG in march..i'll know that God probably wants me to go into some kinda HIV advocacy which I will.  this whole experience has made me really interested in HIV.  and I just hate the fact that half of all new infections are in young ppl 15-24 and especially high in black/latino male populations (I fall within this age group) so thats why I feel so personally affected/involved.  Comment...please!   :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 10:48:32 am by darealdealbrotha »

Offline RapidRod

Re: I'M BACK!!! WITH UPDATES!!! PLEASE READ :-) AND RESPOND
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 11:02:46 am »
Please keep all your questions and thoughts in your orginal thread.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 12:26:12 pm »
da,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You are conclusively hiv negative and you don't need further testing. Don't be so surprised - symptoms are meaningless, as we always say, and you don't really know if the guy you were with is actually positive - you'd be surprised how many times rumours are wrong. Besides, not every actual exposure results in infection. If he is indeed positive, you were lucky. Instead of trusting blind luck next time, use condoms.

And yes, as long as you and your new man use condoms for anal intercourse you'll be fine. Make sure you read through the condom and lube links in my signature line.

Kissing is not a problem as saliva is not infectious. Him giving you a blowjob is not a problem for the same reason. There is a slight, mainly theoretical risk associated with you going down on him. But...

There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one. This shows us two things. One, condoms are very effective for the prevention of hiv transmission. Two, oral sex is much lower risk than previously believed. We now have the evidence that oral sex is a very low risk activity where hiv transmission is concerned.

You say your new man is an hiv counselor as well as being poz himself. He should have a very good idea about what is safe and what isn't. Sit down and have a safer-sex heart to heart with him.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline darealdealbrotha

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 12:30:55 pm »
Ann thank you so much!  I am in a great mood now.  It's just insane how things turn out.. I seriously thought i was poz..i had everything from swollen glands to fever and night sweats..guess it just proves that the only way to  really know if you are infected is to get tested (like you always say) anyway I've decided that I will intern at an HIV/AIDS service organization in the NY/NJ area where i live..I want to make a difference and be an advocate.  God is soo good.  GOD BLESS YOU ALL and thanks.  :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline darealdealbrotha

FOR ANN (Please read)
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 04:19:01 pm »
Ann, to clear up any confusion,  "scareddude21" is a friend of mine from newark.  he did not want to log onto this forum from his family computer at home so he used mine.  i informed him of the site and how helpful you guys are.  just letting u know that scareddude21 is NOT me.  If so, i would've gladly used the same name.  I did read the guidelines.  how can we fix this problem?

Offline darealdealbrotha

Quick Transmission Question
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 09:56:28 am »
hey everyone just a quick question about the fragile aspects of hiv. lets say someone has a little semen on his fingers but it is exposed to day light and the air..how long will it take for hiv die or become less infectious?  I only ask because I am now employed as an HIV hotline worker and I had a call about this last night.  apparently someone had a little semen on his finger (after masturbating) and he inserted this same finger into a persons anus for a few seconds..he's hiv poz and he was wondering if he couldve infected this person..even tho they didn't have sex.  what do you think?  I assume that his finger was out in the air for a little before he inserted it.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 10:12:07 am »
The kind of sex play you're asking about is among the most common of sexual activities.
In these situations which are essentially various aspects of masturbatory play,
there's never been a documented case of transmission. HIV is as you have noted is a fragile virus. It requires a receptive environment which is exactly what unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse provide.

Getting semen on to a finger and then at some point anally inserting is NOT such an environment. In addition to the fragility of the virus, inserting a finger anally would not be likely to rupture tissues in the anus, which is what happens not infrequently during anal intercourse, thus providing an easy avenue for transmission.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.